Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 5:04:38 PM EDT
Say I have office on my desktop and I need to install it on my new laptop, but cannot find the cd key for it. How do I get it off my desktop. Yes this is legit, I am not trying to do anything illegal. I simply want to put office on my laptop as opposed to my desktop. Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:22:59 PM EDT
Call Microsoft...they will give it to you.

I lost my keycode and called them, they verified my computer and gave me the keycode number
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 5:30:37 PM EDT by Gloftoe]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
I forgot where, but if you search your registry, you'll find the key you used
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
Belarc's Advisor might help...I was in a similar situation where I had to reinstall a missing Xp component and lost the CD key after moving all the way across country. The big deal is whether you built the pc yourself and used MS , or if it came bundled with a mfg build, like Dell, HP, et..-then, what I linked to might not help at all.

Googling does help, I did that not even one week ago myself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:31:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By enigma2y0u:
Say I have office on my desktop and I need to install it on my new laptop, but cannot find the cd key for it. How do I get it off my desktop. Yes this is legit, I am not trying to do anything illegal. I simply want to put office on my laptop as opposed to my desktop. Can anyone help?

Download and run the keyfinder utility found HERE. The beta version is the one you want as it includes the ability to retrieve M$ Office product keys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:45:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Actually, a call to Microsoft will result in them asking you to purchase another software license, since the license is per computer, not per user. Legally, you aren't supposed to have the same piece of software (or license key) installed on multpile computers.

You could remove it from the desktop and be in "compliance" according to MS. While it sucks, that's just how it is.

Hi. This isn't exactly true; some licenses allow you to install on a laptop and a desktop if they aren't used at the same time.

It also depends if you bought office in an OEM bundle from your computer retailer or if you bought it retail.

This is one area where we really need to work on clarity

Ry Jones
Microsoft
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:04:13 AM EDT
The magicjellybean link above is the way to go.

Also on most MS office based products you can install Office on your desktop AND your laptop. The key being that it is for your use only and you are only using one at a time. During the activation process the software can tell laptop vs desktop install, whether they look is a different story. Lots of info on licensing on the net.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:04:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Ry Jones
Microsoft

Where Microsoft needs to work on clarity is to realize that when I buy a music CD to listen to, I don't need to buy ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd for my house, ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my car, ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my pickup, and ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my Walkman...

If the music industry (screwed-up as they are) operated like Microshi'ite, that's the way it would be.

Nothing personal against you RyJones, but your employer sucks.

Now, I'll sit here quietly while you trace my IP address and then trash my computer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:23:54 AM EDT

Actually, a call to Microsoft will result in them asking you to purchase another software license, since the license is per computer, not per user. Legally, you aren't supposed to have the same piece of software (or license key) installed on multpile computers.

You could remove it from the desktop and be in "compliance" according to MS. While it sucks, that's just how it is.

Not necessarily. I bought MS OFfice from the computer store at ASU, and it says on the package that the license is for three computers at a time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:25:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pale_pony:
If the music industry (screwed-up as they are) operated like Microshi'ite, that's the way it would be.

It's hard to take your commentary seriously when you resort to namecalling, but I'll try.

Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Where Microsoft needs to work on clarity is to realize that when I buy a music CD to listen to, I don't need to buy ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd for my house, ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my car, ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my pickup, and ANOTHER copy of the SAME cd to listen to in my Walkman...

You aren't buying the distribution media, you're buying a license to install and use the software. If our licensing isn't to your taste, there are other vendors you may use - OpenOffice comes to mind.

Nothing personal against you RyJones, but your employer sucks.

I respectfully disagree. Microsoft is paying about $3000 a month for my prescription drugs, and I think that's great.

Now, I'll sit here quietly while you trace my IP address and then trash my computer.

Even if I had that power, I wouldn't use it. So you don't like our products - don't use them. It is that simple. We aren't the evil empire.

Ry Jones
Microsoft
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:27:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By guardian855:
Not necessarily. I bought MS OFfice from the computer store at ASU, and it says on the package that the license is for three computers at a time.

If your school is an MSDN AA member, you can get office for free (or $5 shipping, whatever). Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
Openoffice rocks....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:39:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:45:29 AM EDT
tobad Icant just give you my key. that would be wrong and i wouldbe banned.

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 7:00:22 AM EDT by Penguin_101]

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Hi. This isn't exactly true; some licenses allow you to install on a laptop and a desktop if they aren't used at the same time.

It also depends if you bought office in an OEM bundle from your computer retailer or if you bought it retail.

Ry Jones
Microsoft

ETA: I am glad they treat some of their employees well. I have heard that they are looking for people all of the time, but no one wants to work for them because they treat their employees so bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 7:06:14 AM EDT by RyJones]

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
ETA: I am glad they treat some of their employees well. I have heard that they are looking for people all of the time, but no one wants to work for them because they treat their employees so bad.

If you saw the number of resumes coming in every day, you might revise your definition of "no one". I get asked if we're hiring so often I've had the Microsoft careers URL printed on my business card.

Hey, I work in MSN - don't kill me!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:45:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:50:09 AM EDT
I registered 2 computers from a single MS XP Windows CD. 1 by online connection, 1 by phone. Both went without a hitch, the phone call was one of those automated deals, punch in some numbers, they tell you what numbers to use for the key.
Top Top