Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2001 9:51:30 AM EDT
News Flash in Wisconsin-The State is now allowing retired cops conceal and carry, but the article kindly reminded us that 'ordinary' citizens can not without fine or 5 years in prison...
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
and the same bureaucrats keep getting reelected to pass even more laws restricting your freedom.

why is that??
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cleatus:

Please post a reference to this article.

Section 941.23, WI Stats.
Carrying Concealed Weapon
Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor [9 mos. jail and/or $10,000 fine].
View Quote

As far as I know there has been no change to this statute.  CCW is not a felony in WI.  It shouldn't even be a misdemeanor, but it is.

Last I heard the Dem's always kept the Personal Protection Act from reaching a vote.  Senate President Fred Risser and Majority Leader Chuck Chvala block it every time.  The good news is Risser is older than dirt won't stay in office forever and Chvala just had a past aide accuse him of running an election out of this office.

If anyone knows more about what's going on with the Personal Protection Act and this retired LEO carry provision, please let me know.

Also, I know there's a grass roots effort to get shall issue CHL's here in WI.  If anyone has a link or contact info so I can get involved, post it here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
JacRyan,
  I'd be interested in the fight as well. I am 19 and would like to ensure my right to carry when I get of age.

-Jared
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not law yet, just a bill. Partisan politics is going to drag this down again. Here's a link ... [url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov01/assem02110101a.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
CHECK THIS SH!T OUT:

Assembly Democrats unsuccessfully try to include all citizens
Some Democrats, including Rep. Marlin Schneider (D-Wisconsin Rapids), said they wanted to see a broader bill, one that would extend the right to carry concealed weapons to regular citizens. Schneider introduced two different substitutes for the bill, but both were ruled out of order and thus not voted upon.
Schneider said he didn't understand why the Republicans, who have generally been in favor of gun laws, would try to block his proposals.

"Now is the chance," he said. "The public mood has changed since Sept. 11."

But Republican leaders said a broadened bill would stand no chance in the Democrat-controlled state Senate, and that Schneider's versions were too hastily written.

"It's a poison pill to this bill," said Steve Baas, a spokesman for Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen (R-Town of Brookfield), adding that Assembly Republicans were already crafting a concealed weapons bill aimed at citizens that would stand a better chance of passage by both chambers.
View Quote

Hey, if we have the Dem's in the Assembly, we're HALF WAY THERE!!!!

BTW, Scott Jensen is busting his @ss to look out for our RKBA.  He's also a strong supporter of hunter's rights.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything, but WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Come one baby!  Damn, Scott Jensen should be a US Rep or Senator.

EDITED for code.  Must've been too excited....  [;)]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I am surprised that it took WI so long.  Even in the DRACONIAN state of Calif.  Retired Cops always have had CC privileges..
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a link to another piece of crappy proposed legislation in WI, making possesion of evil flash supressors a felony.

[url]http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=76454&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=bills01.nfo&jump=ab567&softpage=Document#JUMPDEST_ab567[/url]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
JacRyn My inlaws are from WI if you need any help with mailings or e-mail campaigns let me know I will probably be moving there in the next few years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
This reminds me of when the Kalifornia legislature passed SB 15, which banned "unsafe" guns. However, there was an exemption for LEOs.  

Why does the Kalifornia legislature want Law Enforcement to have "unsafe" guns?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I moved down to the southern part of the state a few years back...what a hole...
Madison ...the college kids from out of state and those with tax payer grants get to vote..and so an established cadre of liberals rule...yet the taxpayers get little if any representation..but if youve got a gay agenda or a commie one..right on through...
Did this flash suppressor stupidity get passed...guess I will call the rep on Mon..fat lot of good it will do...we already have a law against them...so we need another one...
suppressors are federally regulated...a felony???..what a bunch of aholes...another law to make felons..to take away the right to self protection... the cops get CCW..hope they speak up for the rest of us..bet the prison guards wont get the same courtesey...

edited for imflamatory rhetoric....cooled down now....
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears to still be a bill.  Remember there are all kinds of "evil" bills that go nowhere.  Just because some knucklehead liberal rep proposes some idiotic bill, don't mean it's going anywhere.

Say a Republican rep introduced a bill making it a $50 forfeiture if a household doesn't have a firearm.  Well, my money's on that sucker not passing both chambers.  But it would still get all the fancy numbers and such so the liberal media could talk about it....

I wouldn't worry about that one.  A few years ago WI passed a Constitution amendment recognizing the RKBA, with exceptions for reasonable gummit regulation.  I think the majority (read [i]not[/i] Madison or Milwaukee) are on our side.  Heck, the Fox valley is very conservative.

Keep your chin up.  And start practicing with that IWB holster....  [;)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I think part of the reason is that LEO's are properly trained. It is not to say that the average gun owner can't shoot as well nor is trained as well, but LEO's training is part of their training.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm one of those college kids (25yrs old undergrad).  I spent some time this weekend handing out CCW literature at the Madison gun show for WCCA.  We REALLY need to start a letter writing campaign.  The way I understand it about 40% of the Democrats and ALL of the Republicans would be in favor of a PPA.  The problem is that many of our reps only get 3 or so letters per year regarding concealed carry.  They aren't sure they're willing to risk voting on something that may or may not have public backing.  We need to let them know what we want. If anyone wants more info just ask.  WCCA is strictly a voluteer organization and we need more help.

Zien and Gunderson are currently re-writing the PPA to appease some of the antis and try to get the bill heard this time.  I just heard this weekend that they plan on finishing the bill within a couple of weeks.  If you want more info regarding the PPA and other email alerts from Sen. Zien send an email to [email protected] and ask to be placed on the PPA email list.  Include your name.

Don't sit on your ass and bitch about how bad it is.  Spend some time on the computer writing a letter to your representatives and senators and let them know what you want!  Tell everyone you know that they should do the same AND why!

BTW I'm also a member of the Student Alliance for Firearms Education and Repsonsibility (SAFER) at UW Madison.

edited---> Muad'dib work well no beer without.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top