Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 5:32:11 PM EDT
I have been running a test on one of my AR15s  
I use Firepower FP-10 as a lube and I don’t clean it.  
It’s been about a year and I have shot about 1000 rounds thru it without a malfunction or problem.  I just oil the bolt with FP10 every time I take it out.  Just dribble a little on the carrier and shoot her.  So far so good.  No rusting issues or any problems at all.  the bolt and action are a greasy dirty mess but she  just keeps working.  Kind of like an AK.

So is this the solution?
why clean if the gun does not rust or have problems?    
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to shoot more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]

OTH, some friends and I put 3k rds thru a Colt 6400 in two days with no cleaning and it never jammed.
Cleaning is not that hard and is another example of personal discipline. Why wash your ass?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OTH, some friends and I put 3k rds thru a Colt 6400 in two days with no cleaning and it never jammed.
Cleaning is not that hard and is another example of personal discipline. Why wash your ass?

i wash my ass so it does not smell and i don't get sick.  my AR will not get sick so why spend hours cleaning it?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yet.
Murphys law is a bitch
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Your ass is going to smell, because you're going to shit again.  No matter how many times you wash your ass, it will still eventually get dirty.

I clean my firearms for my own personal safety and to assure that they'll continue to function.  If I was rich, I'd likely buy a firearm and shoot it until it wouldn't shoot anymore just to see how dirty it has to get, but since I have to work for my money, I take care of the stuff I own.

I wash my ass, my trucks, and I clean my guns.  It's all about handling your property.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My 9MM OLY has been cleaned 3-4 times in 12000 rounds I've run through it this past year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1000 rnds in a year?

i do that as a shoot just to warm the gun up.

We can't all be winners
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My shit don't stink. Wanna sniff?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
1000 rounds?  In a year?  What kind of test is that?  I do 1000 rounds in a weekend with NO lube.

Still, I dont really see the purpose of this test, other than to tell you what you can do, in the conditions, environment, and round counts you are accustomed to.

Mine?  I clean them when I can, but alway prefer them clean.... just because I do know, they get a little less reliable when they are dry and dirty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It’s been about a year and I have shot about 1000 rounds thru it without a malfunction or problem.

IIRC, one of Troy's posts said that he had put ??6000 rounds through an AR in a similar test.  I wonder whatever happened or if he is still doing it.  I think he just sprayed a little CLP on the bolt before each session.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
1000 rounds?  In a year?  What kind of test is that?  I do 1000 rounds in a weekend with NO lube.

Doesnt that make the gun uncomfortable
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesnt that make the gun uncomfortable

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
people truly are idiots
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I made the mistake of watching a video made by one of the top IPSC shooters.  He said that he does clean his gun (a custom 1911) after every practice session.  Then he said if your gun does not run after 2000 rounds without cleaning then it is broken. It took this to heart.

I'll wipe off the bolt carrier and add some lube after a range session but that's it. Otherwise once a year it gets a thorough cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

damn mike, just damn
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
At most I wipe down the bolt carrier and run a bore snake threw evrey 600-1000 rds, I only really clean y Ars every couple thousand rounds or so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have been running a test on one of my AR15s  
I use Firepower FP-10 as a lube and I don’t clean it.  
It’s been about a year and I have shot about 1000 rounds thru it without a malfunction or problem.  I just oil the bolt with FP10 every time I take it out.  Just dribble a little on the carrier and shoot her.  So far so good.  No rusting issues or any problems at all.  the bolt and action are a greasy dirty mess but she  just keeps working.  Kind of like an AK.

So is this the solution?

I've seen M16s run with an amazing amount of crap in them.  Mud filled lowers, etc.  So is this the solution?  To what I'd ask?  Not cleaning your rifle is certainly not the solution if you're in the surf zone where sea water and sand mix, or going through mud or a swamp, or in blowing sand, or in freezing cold after it got wet, or any other enviroment that the M16/M4 deal with daily.  

why clean if the gun does not rust or have problems?  To prevent problems in the first place, and secondly to extend the life of your rifle.  If you have a failure after ten thousand rounds, you may say something like "that's a heck of a run", but I'd say it isn't because if you cleaned it, it would have kept running without any failure.  That ditry mess that's mixed with all that oil is probably going to accelerate wear.  It's not hard to figure out.  Oil suspending hard steel particles, aluminum particles, brass particles, etc. is not going to do any favors to your AR.  Would you NEVER change the oil in your car's engine?  Yeah, that engine will run a VERY long time on dirty oil, but it will eventually cause accelerated wear.

So no, I don't think it's the solution to anything, nor do I think it's a good idea to not properly maintain your weapon.  Notice I said properly.  Proabably more guns have been damaged due to improper cleaning than anything else.  The solution to that is proper maitenance, not improper or no maintenance.

Not knocking you or anything.  You said "one of your AR's" so I'm assuming you're just messing around with one of them and I see nothing wrong with that.  It should give you confidence in the system if anything because ARs aren't as bad as some make it out to be.  I've always thought about slapping together one of these $100 AK kits and torturing the crap out of it to see what really happens.  

Keep it up and let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Hours to clean an AR15?

Seperate upper from lower, spray lower and upper down with Gunscrubber, one pass down the barrel with a bore brush and CLP, one pass down the chamber with a chamber brush and CLP, a couple passed with a cloth patch, rinse with Gunscrubber, one pass with a clean patch and CLP, one pass to get the excess CLP out, remove the bolt/carrier assembly, spray down with Gunscrubber, wipe clean, lube with CLP, lube lower trigger group with CLP, reassemble AR15, wipe down with light coat of CLP, buff off exceess with clean towel.

Should take you less than 15 minutes to do that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You need to shoot more.

I agree! get her good and hot!! maybe 3-4 hundred at a time! then repost with pics!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
regular mintance of any tool is good.  weather its a firearm or not.    How do you "KNOW" there is no rust under all that carbon?  longest i went without cleaning my ar15 was 3 weeks.  no rust or anything after i did clean it, but never the less its best to clean them on a regular basis IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top