Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 7:21:45 PM EDT
Anyone have a model number with gps?

I just want a bare bones, it make calls, phone.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a reasonably new one that doesnt' have some location system built in to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Then I guess I will continue to do with out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a verizon guy tell me that they can't even put a non GPS unit into the system anymore. GPS isn't as sinister as many tin foil types make it out to be. Basically, in this day and age, EMS needs to know who's jurisdiction the caller is in. That's was a problem when cell phones didn't have GPS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a verizon guy tell me that they can't even put a non GPS unit into the system anymore. GPS isn't as sinister as many tin foil types make it out to be. Basically, in this day and age, EMS needs to know who's jurisdiction the caller is in. That's was a problem when cell phones didn't have GPS.

ulocate.  Give me your phone for 5 minutes.  I'll have it on your phone.  YOu won't even know until the next bill.  If you catch it then.

It's not needed and the EMS crap is just a dodge.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
you could try the off-the-shelf-at-Wal-Mart pay-as-you-go phones, like the "Go Phone" or something.  I'd bet they don't have a full-blown GPS on them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The federal wireless laws mandate ALL new phones be GPS enabled, as the guy said before it relates to wireless 911 calls and being able to locate someone if the are unable to give there location. I am a 911 board member in AL and we are what is called "phase 2" compliant, meaning that when someone calls from a GPS enabled phone we can automatically receive the Lat/Lon and match it to a actual place on the map and get help on the way to the RIGHT location.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you could try the off-the-shelf-at-Wal-Mart pay-as-you-go phones, like the "Go Phone" or something.  I'd bet they don't have a full-blown GPS on them.

There's an idea, but I hate to switch phones that regularly.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The federal wireless laws mandate ALL new phones be GPS enabled, as the guy said before it relates to wireless 911 calls and being able to locate someone if the are unable to give there location. I am a 911 board member in AL and we are what is called "phase 2" compliant, meaning that when someone calls from a GPS enabled phone we can automatically receive the Lat/Lon and match it to a actual place on the map and get help on the way to the RIGHT location.

Again, your "need" for a location is irrelevent.  If I die because you can't locate me, that's a choice I've made.  I'll live with it.  Or die with it as the case may be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And the state gets to pay out the ass for that capability.

Nebraska hasn't wanted to pay for licenses to use the full gps system.  But a couple of teenagers got methed up and died in the snow...so we need to get the system so it doesn't happen again.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Got nothing to do with what I perceive as a need or not--just the way that it is now, I don't care for my phone being GPS enabled, its just that is the ONLY way to get one now, I guess you could find ones made before 01/04 (if I remember right)but I'm betting that most of the cell companies are gonna try to sell you something else.

I know that I can think of at least one call where it has made a difference, I'm sure its helping on a daily basis now
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]

And the state gets to pay out the ass for that capability.

Nebraska hasn't wanted to pay for licenses to use the full gps system.  But a couple of teenagers got methed up and died in the snow...so we need to get the system so it doesn't happen again.  

I can"t speak for Nebraska, but in our state it is up to the individual 911 district to fund the change--that is one of the reasons that it is taking so long for the full system to get up and running
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
most phones you can turn off the gps 911 locator  and location.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No you can set them to "private".   If you want to try and shut them off you have to use RSS DEPOT.  Legal license is $300+ and it still comes on if the networks asks it too.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Correct--but if you dial 911 the software is SUPPOSED to over ride your turn off-I have no idea if this is actually the case or not though
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
non-GPS phones are illegal in NY (not sure if its the same nationwide though). its not compliant with e911 and GPS. during the light of all this technology change, most of the major cellphone companies sent out letters to people using phones like the startac's that they were required (even if they bought the phone yesterday) to upgrade to newer technology.

yes it is true though that you can turn off the e911 and/or GPS funtions but its best not to. god forbid you have an emergency (or commit a crime) no one will be able to find you/track you down.....

IF and the keyword is IF you get pulled over and you get a "smart cop" he could give you a ticket for "not being compliant with proper cellphone usage"
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
you could try the off-the-shelf-at-Wal-Mart pay-as-you-go phones,

Make sure you buy a 1000 of them at a time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top