Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2010 5:02:16 PM EDT
i like the camera, but it's the only one i've held. is this the way to go for my first SLR or is there another that is in the same price range with the same features or better? thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it.  The quality is great, plus the articulating screen is cool to.  I use a D70S, but my dad has a D5000
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Great camera. Only downside is no AF drive on the body, so it's swm lenses only. However, since almost all lenses these days seem to have it, it's no big deal.

I use the D90 myself.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Nikon doesn't stand by their products, especially cameras.  google "nikon customer service problems" they are shit.

one day my camera decided to just not turn on.  no power at all, capacitor maybe?

this "dent" from being carried in a pocket was apparently enough to void the warranty on a 5 month old camera.  they called it "impact damage" and refused the claim.

i will NEVER buy a nikon product again.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Nikon makes an outstanding camera. Of course to be objective, the Canon T1I would be the main competition. When buying SLRs, you don't buy cameras, you buy into systems. Nikon and Canon are the primary systems.

Quoted:

Nikon doesn't stand by their products, especially cameras.  google "nikon customer service problems" they are shit.

Google Canon customer service problems and you get the same results...

Not to mention that there seems to be more damage than just that dent on your camera because the lens cover isn't closed all the way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Currently playing with a Nikon D5000 with an AF-2 Nikkor 18-55mm lens on loan from a good friend. I am new to photography in general, but I can say that with some practice and a little knowledge I am gaining, the D5000 seems to take some great pics. I am currently considering a D90, for it's heavier weight (seems easier for me to stabilize and shoot with the extra weight). I also like some of the features that the D90 offers, like front and rear thumbwheels for adjustments, that are lacking on the D5000. I also like the higher-res screen, and the flip-out screen on the D5000 is a neat feature, but not necessary for me. My choice will likely be the D90, but the D5000 has been a fun camera to play with and learn on, and I am loving the results so far!
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

one day my camera decided to just not turn on.  no power at all, capacitor maybe?

this "dent" from being carried in a pocket was apparently enough to void the warranty on a 5 month old camera.  they called it "impact damage" and refused the claim.

i will NEVER buy a nikon product again.  

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/grizzlyarms/DSCN0049.jpg

Funny, I had a very similar problem with a canon. I was told that it was an engeneering problem that they were aware of but was almost never a problem, they'd only chare me 2x's what it cost new the year before to fix.

Canons must all suck and their customer service is shit. They refuse to stand behind their products. Clearly the only solution is to not buy canon or nikon...
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Funny, I had a very similar problem with a canon. I was told that it was an engeneering problem that they were aware of but was almost never a problem, they'd only chare me 2x's what it cost new the year before to fix.

Canons must all suck and their customer service is shit. They refuse to stand behind their products. Clearly the only solution is to not buy canon or nikon...

The real solution is to insure your gear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nikon makes an outstanding camera. Of course to be objective, the Canon T1I would be the main competition. When buying SLRs, you don't buy cameras, you buy into systems. Nikon and Canon are the primary systems.

Quoted:

Google Canon customer service problems and you get the same results...

Not to mention that there seems to be more damage than just that dent on your camera because the lens cover isn't closed all the way.

It is the sticker that THEY put on to show the dent that is holding the lens cover open.  This is the picture that Nikon service dept. sent me of why they are denying my warranty claim.
The dent is just a superficial mark in the thin aluminum that covers the telescope i knew it was there.  it happened from being placed into my pocket and in no way affected the operation of the camera.  i'm not denying that it had normal wear & tear, and a few marks from being used.  But the failure was a sudden failure to power on, an electronic failure.  

apparently actually using a nikon product and packing  in a pocket like a cell phone, PDA, or camera is abuse, according to the service dept.

as far as Canon goes, i don't have any experience with their service,  i replaced this Nikon with a Canon and haven't had any problems, hopefully i won't.  

Disclaimer:
 this happened about a year ago, and if the camera had actually been "impacted" or damaged i wouldn't be so pissed about the way i was talked down to and called a liar by Nikon's service dept.  i have made it a quest of mine to let people know what fucktards they are every chance i get.  I get some personal satisfaction knowing that hopefully i can cost nikon a few sales.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
grizzlyarms: Olympus has a line of P&S cameras that is supposed to be real hearty. They are sealed, from dust & dirt and can a take a 3 meter fall on concrete. You want to consider this camera if you abuse your equipment a bit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The D5000 uses the D300s' sensor and D90's AF sensor.  It's also extremely quiet!  The only drawbacks are the lack of AF motor, and the lack of control dials.  Other than that it is a great camera.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
awesome guys. thank you for all of the responces. unless some miracle deal comes along, it looks like this is the camera i'm going with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Good deal, dude. I am actually going out today to get a D90. I have been interested in many years in photography, and now that I have learned that I have some friends who are and willing to teach me some stuff, I have been bitten by the bug pretty bad.

Can't wait to see some pics, OP! Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
awesome guys. thank you for all of the responces. unless some miracle deal comes along, it looks like this is the camera i'm going with.

I just picked up at refurb NIkon D5000 and love it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top