Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 10:57:01 AM EDT
 NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Terrorist leader Osama bin Laden escaped 10 days ago to
Pakistan from his hideout in Afghanistan's Tora Bora region, the Christian
Science Monitor reported Wednesday on its Web site.
 Citing an interview with Abu Jaffar, a senior Al-Quaida operative and Saudi
financier, the Monitor said bin Laden sent his married son Salar, 19, back to
act on his behalf.
 "Osama bin Laden...left to meet Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar about
three weeks ago and stayed with him near Kandahar," Jafar was quoted as telling
the newspaper. "He left again just over a week ago and was headed to Pakistan,
where he was helped across the border by Pashtun tribesmen."

(MORE) DOW JONES NEWS  12-12-01
 02:44 PM- - 02 44 PM EST 12-12-01

well, this makes sense! i wonder how our new found friends will react to this. civil war? military/pashtun coup? time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
 LOS ANGELES (AP)--The chairman of the militant Jewish Defense League and a follower have been arrested on suspicion of plotting to blow up a Los Angeles mosque and the office of an Arab-American congressman, federal authorities said Wednesday.  Irv Rubin, 56, and a member of the group, Earl Krugel, 59, both of Los Angeles, were arrested Tuesday night after the last component of the bomb - explosive powder - was delivered to Krugel's home, U.S. Attorney John S. Gordon said.  Other bomb components and weapons were seized at Krugel's home.  Authorities said the plot targeted a mosque in Culver City and the office of Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.  Issa is the grandson of Lebanese immigrants.  Rubin and Krugel were expected to appear in court later Wednesday. The complaint against them quotes Krugel as making a comment during a meeting that Arabs "need a wakeup call."  Authorities were tipped off by a government source about a series of meetings where the scheme to bomb the King Fahd Mosque and Issa's office was hammered out, Gordon said.  The original target was to be the Muslim Public Affairs Council in Los Angeles, but the target was changed during a meeting last weekend.  "Prior to last night's arrest, the source delivered explosive powder, the last component required to begin construction of the bomb, to Krugel's residence," the U.S. attorney's office said.  (MORE) DOW JONES NEWS  12-12-01  03:36 PM- - 03 36 PM EST 12-12-01

if they blew it up, would we go to war against this "terrorist" nation too???
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
more:

It wasn't immediately clear when the alleged plot began.  "Irv Rubin never had anything to do with explosives," said Rubin's attorney, Peter Morris. "It seems to us that, given the timing...the government's action is part of an overreaction to the Sept. 11 events."  Rubin's wife, Shelley, said her husband and Earl "are completely innocent of anything. They are law-abiding, good people."  Originally formed by Meir Kahane to mount armed response to anti-Semitic acts in New York, the JDL gained notoriety when its members were linked to bombings, most of them aimed at Soviet targets in retaliation for the way that country treated its Jewish population.  Kahane left the JDL in the 1980s. A power struggle ensued, with Rubin among the contenders for its leadership.  Kahane was assassinated in New York in 1990. El Sayyid Nosair, 36, an Egyptian-born Muslim, was convicted in connection with the shooting.  Rubin has made a career out of confrontation, challenging white supremacists to fistfights, or burning a Confederate flag outside a courthouse. By his own count he has been arrested more than 40 times. In 1980, he was tried and found innocent of soliciting the murders of Nazis in the United States.  A suit filed by Rubin resulted in a court decision last year banning prayer during Burbank City Council meetings.  (END) DOW JONES NEWS  12-12-01  03:40 PM- - 03 40 PM EST 12-12-01
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, you HAD to expect that this would happen sooner or later.

You know how many hundreds of attacks on Muslims there have been in the US since 9/11?  So the JDL tries one and now you want to bomb Isreal?

The longer Bush refrains from treating the Palistinians as they deserve, the more vigilanteism there will be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dude, you HAD to expect that this would happen sooner or later.

You know how many hundreds of attacks on Muslims there have been in the US since 9/11?  So the JDL tries one and now you want to bomb Isreal?

The longer Bush refrains from treating the Palistinians as they deserve, the more vigilanteism there will be.
View Quote

yes. but will Bush call Israel terrorists when their bomb goes off on our soil? (BTW, i don't condone the bombing of Israel ~ unless they deserve it.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

if they blew it up, would we go to war against this "terrorist" nation too???
View Quote

So, are you saying the only reason we're at war against Afganistan is because the terrorists were from there? (Which is not true, most were from other countries)  Last I knew there were people pulling the strings that we were going after.  Our policy is not to blow up the home country of anybody breaking the law.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
so it sounds like up until now the difference between the arab terrorists and Israeli's is that the arab terrorists steal something, blow it up and kill people and the Israeli's take our money, steal from us and sell it to the highest bidder.

if the Israeli's, or any other nationality, up the ante and start setting off bombs in this country, they need to learn the 'daisy cutter dance' just like the taliban.
just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
guys, what i'm saying is this;
we are at war IN Afghanistan, not WITH Afghanistan. we are there because the HEAD of a terrorist ring resides there. the JDL, comprised of people living in America or American citizens, could be considered a terrorist organization (if they turn out to be guilty of anything in the first place) and should be treated as such.

now, i have no finalized opinion on the matter, but my question is; what if the HEAD of the JDL and their funding comes from over seas?

and i can't believe that some of you would advocate the B0MBING of an American building, on American soil. what, are you just hoping you're not the innocent bystander next to that building when it goes up? and who do you think would be in that mosque? most likely Americans.

and about the first article, what if that is true, he has a strong support base, and Pakistan gets hurled into civil war? these are strange times indeed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
So given the logic of select few in this thread, anytime a terrorist commits an act of terrorism we should carpet-bomb his country of origin? Well.....bring on World War III and Armageddon then.....Whatever happened to PERSONAL responsibility....go after the bad guy and anyone sponsoring him......but if someone wants to end the world and start launching ICBM's criss-cross across the globe.....their stupid. We went after Afghanistan first due to Al Queda being presently based out of there along with Osama bin Laden.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
fatty -

The JDL folks are all Americans and their plan appears to have been to attack other (Islamic)Americans. That's not terrorism, that's just a hate crime.

It's unlikely that the have Israeli funding; the JDL was tossed out of Israel quite a few years ago for their actions.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, if Irv and Earl are in fact agents of Israel, then those responsible in Israel should be held accountable.  If Irv and Earl are just local nutjobs, as is more likely the case, then Irv and Earl should be punished.  

Otherwise, we'd have to bomb wherever-the-hell Tim McVeigh was from in America for his actions, right?

The JDL is a lunatic fringe organization.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
irv rubin and the jdl are in fact american breed,and that being,they should be treated as home breed terrorists,much like our own timmy mcviegh(sp).the jdl has used force,intimidation,and violence(murder) to further their cause.it's time to brand them what they are and treat them accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
fatty -

The JDL folks are all Americans and their plan appears to have been to attack other (Islamic)Americans. That's not terrorism, that's just a hate crime.

It's unlikely that the have Israeli funding; the JDL was tossed out of Israel quite a few years ago for their actions.

View Quote

ahhh! i see, kicked out, thank God, i wouldn't want to join their war, however, we're destined to live like they do. i firmly believe that all this is just the beginning, and that its only a matter of time before buses and malls go up here. BTW, wasn't Tmcveigh called a domestic terrorist? i wonder how he would have been handled if OKC happened today. his was not considered a hate crime.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Irv Rubin, 56, and a member of the group, Earl Krugel, 59, both of Los
Angeles, were arrested Tuesday night after the last component of the bomb -
explosive powder - was delivered to Krugel's home, U.S. Attorney John S. Gordon
said.
View Quote

What do you want to bet that the "explosive powder" was Alliant Bullseye?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stop me if you actually know any more than I do, which I kinda doubt.
View Quote

Hey, Shotar!  Why do YOU know more?  You have inside information??!!! [:P]

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

And Jonathan Pollard was also a lunatic in a "fringe organization"!!  [:P]

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And Jonathan Pollard was also a lunatic in a "fringe organization"!!  [:P]

DaMan
View Quote

Spoken by one who should know...  [:P]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm! Wonder where the JDL get's all it's money? [:P]

Didn't WE block economic support to Al Queda from the US?

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Seriously, now, the JDL is like *three* people total.  I think they get funding from bake sales and *car* washes.  Irv is a local gadfly, personality-disordered and bizarre.  And why would Al Qaeda fund the bombing of a local mosque, anyway?

(edited cuz I blew the joke... [:D])
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Recently I saw a senior member of the PLO interviewed. The interview was, of course, about the use of suicide bombers against Israel.

The guy said something to the effect "We have no tanks and planes and helicopters such as those you (The U. S.) have bought for Israel.  We have only ourselves to use as weapons."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top