Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:27:42 PM EDT
One of my computers has a virus that ties up the computer if it even thinks it can connect to the net, I am on dial up.

What does it take to reformat and reinstall windows xp home edition?

I ran some searches and read about boot discs and some folks say I need it and some say I do not.

Library books are outdated since they don't cover xp, but I got a couple and am learning some other things anyway since I am a newb on computers.

Anyway, if I replace a hard drive I think I have to do the same thing as I will do if I reformat and start over so I may as well start learning and fix my ignorance.

I would love some good computer sites to read on, there are so many out there I could not decide what to use to educate myself since comparing some of them gave conflicting info.

The virus mentioned above is not the only virus this computer has, basically the computer has enough junk messing things up I would rather start over than try to save any info on it. I mostly surf the net with it and can replace what is on the hard drive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:30:28 PM EDT
All you really need is an XP home edition CD that is bootable...to test this you can plop the CD in the drive and reboot. If it's bootable you should see the option to 'press any key to boot from CD'.
(you will need to make sure your CD drive is set to be the first in the boot order, which is done through the bios settings, typically you press F10 or Delete several times to enter the bios right as you see the hardware splash screen come up)

Z
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:12:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT by Appelsientje]
You just need to re-install XP with an XP cd. Be sure to back up your important files on CD's, usb sticks, or another computer. You will format the harddrive during the XP installation. You will have to re-install all programs and all of your files will be erased.

If your harddrive is large enough, and if you have a lot of important files, then I recommend formatting the drive into two partitions. Make the first partition about 15-30 gigabytes. This will be the partition you will install Windows on, and it will appear in Windows as the C: drive. The rest of the drive will have its own partition and will appear as a seperate drive in Windows (the D: drive for instance). This way, the next time Windows screws up and you have to reformat and re-install Windows, you'll only have to format the first partition, and all of your important files will remain intact on the second partition. However, you will still have to re-install all of your programs.

When formatting the drive in Windows setup, be sure to select NTFS as the file system.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:18:09 PM EDT
Thank you.

Two easy to understand responses here and I wasted days messing around with searching the net.

I will have some time tomorrow and the next day to mess with the other computer and will post an update.

I am glad this section of the site is here and I plan to make it part of my daily reading so I can make computers a strong point instead of a weakpoint.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:50:05 AM EDT
First, thank you once again.

I finally had time to mess with this and it was very simple.

Well, one problem.

I am on dialup and the modem worked before I had any problems but when I was all done with reinstalling everything the slot the modem was in would not work. Computer would not recognize there was even a modem plugged in.

I pulled a spare modem from another computer, and that slot would not work for either one.

Being bored I stuck both modems in other slots above the one not working, both modems and their slots worked.

Is this just a hardware problem, my board has a dead slot, or did something need to be changed in the bios or something?

I set bios to boot from cd and then changed it back once done.

Overall it does not matter since I am back on the net, but I am confused and figured I would ask.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:26:14 AM EDT
I seem to also be having a problem getting it to recognize that there is a sound setup in the computer.

I have to go do other stuff but it looks like I have lots more to learn.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:54:41 AM EDT
You may need to update the drivers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:37 PM EDT
Well, you guys have made some good suggestions.

The new hardware utility recognized a modem plugged into the slot that was giving me problems and the sound card is now noticed.

I found the drivers for it, but just downloaded them and I have not really installed them.

Right now the computer is telling me my sound card has a code 10, that means it can't start according to the computer.

I am done for tonight. I am pretty happy right now but realize I messed up in not backing up my drivers.

Oh well, at least I am learning my lessons.

I really appreciate all the help, since I am in the middle of packing up to move I most likely will have to work on packing up this weekend instead of getting angry at my computer.

Any more suggestions are appreciated, I think I am going to backup my spare computer and reformat it and see how that does and then I have a computer with sound.
Top Top