Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 5:19:03 PM EDT
To all those follow this old thread, the guy who was waiting was only 40 years old at the most.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What made it his lane? Is his name on it?

Why not tell him to get the hell away from you from the get go?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Plastic stocks on a Garand,...

Well, well I think it's just wrong.

No.

If you do it you're an ass hole.

I'm not old but I'm gettin there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
old people suck.

sounds more like this thread should be entitled:

"Two People With No Social Skills Met at Range Today."

Wow.

Do you kick your dog, too?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you think of offering to let him try out your AR ? It could have been a lesson in people skills for your son. Instead, it sounds like the two of you intentionaly tried to antagonize each other. Take the high road, show them a better way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
WHIPPERSNAPPERS...[STICK]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Old people will always have one thing on you.
They made it. You, on the other hand may not [%|]

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
FOP
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you did exactly what I would have done.I don't know if this has so much to do with being old versus him just being a jackass.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It sounds like you met a shithead to me.  I would have a hard time believing his age had anything to do with it.  He's just a shithead.  Pure and simple.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Started humpin' an AR along with a 70lb+ ruck back in 69-70 ..slogged rice paddies, and jungles in Vietnam and even into more interesting places in Cambodia..Ran river ops off of Navy PBRs and Air Assaults off Army UH-Ds

Started building ARs from parts kits back in the early 70s..Been playing with them ever since in my quest for the perfect carrying AR

Now Im a member of the "Old People Suck" club...

Cant Get No Respect....
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Plastic stocks on a Garand,...

Well, well I think it's just wrong.

No.

If you do it you're an ass hole.

I'm not old but I'm gettin there
View Quote

I agree.  I prefer composite.

BTW, asshole is one word.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The way I read this story, you were confronted by what you perceived to be an asshole - and your reaction was to act like an asshole, instead of being a bigger man, or at least trying to be a little unreasonable.  Instead you take much more time than you originally planned, just to annoy him, and deliberately slow down, just to annoy him.  Using other people as an excuse for your own bad behavior is petty - and bad karma.

Did you feel really proud to have deliberately wasted the time of an old guy - even if he did behave irrationally?  Did you explain carefully to your son that when old people bug you, it is important to go out of your way to inconvenience them?

Sure the guy acted like an ass, but for all you know he is some retired army sniper with cancer whose only joy is shooting in "his" lane at the public range.

You'll be old some day too!  [:(]   Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Some lady called me a whippersnapper one time.
I said, with a short hesitation " i'm gonna go home and look that up" [:)]
It's a young, pretentious individual, if i remember correctly?
I'll be back later after i look up pretentious.
Eric the ammoman

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
"arseholes" come in all age groups, he was probably one forty years ago. We had this "arsehole" 2 work he told a friend of mine "if i was twenty years younger I'd kick your ass' my friend replyied " you were a pussy twenty years ago and if you had any heart you'd try to kick my ass right now." You know what? If pop had any heart/balls he would have did his best to f him up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I see way too many “old people” like this on the ranges today.
View Quote

I've had the exact opposite experience.  It's the kids that think, for example, my AR is an illegal machine gun from watching too many movies and too much network news.  I had four kids (~25 year-old males) leave a range, because they didn't want to be near a rifle they were convinced was illegal.  It was a FAL I build from parts for a friend.  Yes, it does look scary, especially with the tripod, but leaving the range?  I had a kid call the police on a friend and I when we were at a local range shooting an AK.  The 65(?) year-old RO set them straight.  I've had two kids (~25 year-old female and about a month later, a ~30 year-old male) complain about my targets that were vaguely shaped like a person.  I've gotten more negative comments from kids about a revolver, I've taken to a range three times after I working on it for a friend, than I have about any other firearm.  It's a revolver.  Don't act like it's a piece of junk car that should be off of the road and isn't safe to drive.  I heard "you should get rid of that and get a Glock" twice!  Once by someone else shooting at the range and again from a guy that works at the gun shop attached to the range.  Other than from one Korean vet that was RO at a CMP match, I don't think I've ever gotten a negative comment regarding guns from someone my age or older.

they have the good old day syndrome.
View Quote

Exactly.  The NFA, GCA, the FOPA clause outlawing new machine guns, Bush's import ban, and the AWB are all things passed in my life-time.  I got the "good old day" syndrome bad!  I wish you could still buy rifles mail order.  I think my brother paid $20 for the box of ten German Mausers he bought mail-order (that he no longer has, insert crying smiley face).  I wish you could still buy new full-auto firearms.  I wish the byzantine import laws wrt foreign vs domestic parts didn't exist.  I wish South Carolina didn't have mandatory handgun registration for new handguns and for used handguns bought from a dealer.  I wish I could buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period (not that I can afford to).  I wish you could still buy $25 22LR revolvers.  I wish the BATF didn't exist.  I think you should also miss the old days.  Too bad I didn't buy my first firearm until two years ago.  I really regret that, because I could have temporarily lived in those good old days.z
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
This is so weird that you had this happen to you because my grandfather went to the range and he has only his rifle to shoot that gives him pleasure. And he likes this one particular lane. Its the only thing in life that gives him happiness anymore. he was JUST TELLING me that some bully wouldnt let him shoot in his lane. Man he was so depressed when I talked to him. See, he is alone and we all moved so there is no one there for him.

The only thing though that gave him a little shed of light and happiness was that he said the bully that was taking up the lane...couldnt shoot for shit.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#21]
You sure showed him! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Sheesh, you guys are brutal!

usma89, you stated that you took the two farthest left lanes. Maybe the FOG is tired of getting hit by hot brass, so he prefers the left lane. But, I know the type.

I took my kids to the range at the beginning of deer season. All of the covered lanes (which are to the right) on the 100 yard line were occupied by "deerslayers" (I like that) so we were stuck out in the hot sun (the left side). I didn't want to crowd the 50 yard rimfire range (to the extreme left) so I set up a few lanes away from them. There were eight unoccupied, uncovered lanes to my right.

We were there for quite a while just having a blast, a substantial amount of brass was accumulating in the unoccupied shooting position to my right. Pretty obvious that you don't want to set up there. At least not when there are so many open lanes.

Sure as shit, two elderly gentlemen set up their spotting scope right there. I tried to convince them in a conversational manner that they might want to reconsider there choice of positions as there were many open spots to choose from. No dice. They were shooting in that lane. Period.

So I moved to the extreme left position.

You should have seen the look on the rimfire guys faces. Kind of a mix of "I feel your pain" and "You're not gonna' shoot that big, loud gun HERE are ya'?".

Moving two kids, several cased rifles and a ton of gear took a little time. Before I could police my brass from their newly claimed spot the old farts had started shooting. One spotting/ one shooting.

I will admit that they could shoot well.

But they were pricks.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#23]
When they do that shit, it becomes a game of GET THE HOT BRASS DOWN THE SHIRT instead of hit the target. I even stop watching my lane i just watch where the brass goes and adjust my trajectory. When they look over after fishing hot brass from thier shirt all they see is me practicing my rambo face!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#24]
All of you turn the other cheek people are part of the problem.  Bush Sr. turned the other cheek with Congress and we got a tax hike and the AWB.

Just be the bigger man...What you mean is bend over and take it like a little B@#$ch.  BOHICA.  

Not on my watch.  If you want my lane or my guns or my rights, you can take them... or try
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All of you turn the other cheek people are part of the problem.  Bush Sr. turned the other cheek with Congress and we got a tax hike and the AWB.

Just be the bigger man...What you mean is bend over and take it like a little B@#$ch.  BOHICA.  

Not on my watch.  If you want my lane or my guns or my rights, you can take them... or try
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

You act like sitting there pouting was the tough-guy way of handling things. What you were doing was being passive aggressive, and thereby acting like a 5 year old, or a woman.  People that behave in this way are afraid of what would happen if they openly challenged someone, and so they pout in the corner and do things like stay an hour longer than they were going to just to try and prove their point.
If you had any stones at all, you would have told the guy straight up that you would be done in a few minutes and if he wanted to wait that was fine by you.  Instead you let an old man scare you into behaving like a child.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I see way too many “old people” like this on the ranges today.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.  Our monthly "clean-up" day is the third Saturday.  At 46 the only person younger than me will be my son.  The next youngest will be in  his 60s.  It really sucks to see a retired Sergeant Major (in his 70s) pushing a mower while a thirty-something stands around impatiently waiting to shoot.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

You act like sitting there pouting was the tough-guy way of handling things. What you were doing was being passive aggressive, and thereby acting like a 5 year old, or a woman.  People that behave in this way are afraid of what would happen if they openly challenged someone, and so they pout in the corner and do things like stay an hour longer than they were going to just to try and prove their point.
If you had any stones at all, you would have told the guy straight up that you would be done in a few minutes and if he wanted to wait that was fine by you.  Instead you let an old man scare you into behaving like a child.
View Quote

Man you watch a lot of Oprah, don't you. Confronting someone when both of us have guns in our hands is stupid. I guess you really do know it all.  I have no problem challenging someone, Mr. Oprah.  I just try to use my head a little.

How old am I?  Well, look at my name, I have a 13 year old.  You can figure it out,  well maybe not, you want me to start a confrontation with guns.

By the way, I never said how old he was.  I said he acted old.  You all know who I am talking about because you have met them on the range.

Edit to add:
I agree on the brass issue.  I rigged a brass catcher so no brass would go beyond my area.  I also reload, so this is a double benefit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Did you ask the guy "why" it was his lane???  And just because he acted like a jerk doesn't mean all "older" people are that way.  By the way; what do you consider old.  I'm in my mid 50's and some call me old but I don't think of myself that way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It sounds like you met a shithead to me.  I would have a hard time believing his age had anything to do with it.  He's just a shithead.  Pure and simple.
View Quote

Guy was no doubt a SH when he was young, too. Lanes are first come, first served.You did right by letting him cool his heels. A lot of people think the world owes them something because they have been a waste of oxygen for more years than most.

Another "old" guy
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Man you watch a lot of Oprah, don't you.
View Quote

Why is it that your having mental problems means I watch Oprah?  I can only assume that by your attempt at an insult I struck pretty close to home.
Confronting someone when both of us have guns in our hands is stupid. I guess you really do know it all.  I have no problem challenging someone, Mr. Oprah.  I just try to use my head a little.
View Quote

Who said confronting?  Do you only have two modes, passive agressive and punch 'em in the face?  Why can't you talk to him, explain that you'll be done in a minute, and that he's welcome to wait?  Why does it have to be either you act like a little kid or start a fight?

How old am I?  Well, look at my name, I have a 13 year old.  You can figure it out,  well maybe not, you want me to start a confrontation with guns.
View Quote

Ok, so you're at least what then, 26?  what does having a 13 year old tell me about your age?  You could be anywhere between 13 and 83 for all I know.  Just trying to figure out what you consider old, and why someone who's old enough to have a 13 year old acts like a 5 year old.

By the way, I never said how old he was.  I said he acted old.  You all know who I am talking about because you have met them on the range.
View Quote

Then maybe you should change the title of you post.  What if he had "acted black" instead?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#32]
it has been my experience (as middle aged!?) that no ethnic, age, sex, etc, etc has a monopoly on being an ass-hole... they are everywhere you go...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
it has been my experience (as middle aged!?) that no ethnic, age, sex, etc, etc has a monopoly on being an ass-hole... they are everywhere you go...
View Quote

Well put, thejokker!!!  You hit the nail right on the head.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Golly!

This thread sure took a turn!

Why did you delete the entire first post? Kinda' sorta' makes the rest of us look silly don't it?

In the words of a famous American whose name escapes me:

" Can't we all just get along?"

And I haven't watched Oprah in a while.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top