Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 8/23/2008 5:19:36 AM EDT
Guys, yesterday I moved out to lubbock to attend texas tech. Im a 20 year old sophomore. To cut a long story short the first thing i see when i walk in my new apartment is my roommates (who i have not yet met) smoking a water bong on the couch. The first thing they say to me is "hey dude whats up, you smoke?" I say no. They introduce themselves to me, and then quickly ask "dude your parents arent comming are they?" Anyways, I dont mind drinking but I am not a marajuana smoker and dont plan on ever starting. I dont give a shit if they smoke themselves stupid, but i dont want it affecting me. My concerns are:

1.) The apartment living room (or my room) and items in the apartment (mine or some of the furniture provided by the apartment complex) smelling like pot. I do not want my things smelling like pot, nor do i want to have to pay and fines because the apt smells like shit.
2.) From a legal standpoint, I do not want to be considered "in possission" of their marajuana
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Move.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Move.

This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Move.

I have already signed a year lease with this place, and paid first 2 months rent. I have heard apartment complexes are somwhat lax about this kind of shit becuase they dont want to loose paying renters
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

This.

+2

What else were you expecting for a response?

You could contact a lawyer and see if you can get the lease annuled due to the illegal activities.  Can't say what that will cost
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you move into an apartment with other people you have never met before?   Yeah, move.  EBR's, ammo and weed aren't a good mix.  

Or, you can stay.  We always enjoy reading news stories about guys doing the perp walk for having drugs, guns and ammo in their place.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You all are going to get along like oil and water.  Move.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

I have already signed a year lease with this place, and paid first 2 months rent. I have heard apartment complexes are somwhat lax about this kind of shit becuase they dont want to loose paying renters

Tell the person you made the lease with exactly why you want to be let out.

If they don't let you out inform them that you'll get the police involved to intercede since the property owners/managers are facilitating drug use and likely the sale of drugs on their property.

It's either let you out of the contract or the police get involved to find out why the property owners are allowing criminal acts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

You signed a year lease and paid up 2 months rent and have 2 roommates that you have never met?  You aren't that smart are you?

Take the advice given here.  Move and don't do something this stupid again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Talk to them.

Tell them you don't want the place to stink and that you are not comfortable with their illegal activities don't be judgemental just state the facts.  If they don't listen piss in their stash.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't worry about it.

no one is gonna do a smell test on your clothes.

besides you're at college good luck finding roommates who don't smoke or drink. it could be worse they could smoke cigarettes
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

You signed a year lease and paid up 2 months rent and have 2 roommates that you have never met?  You aren't that smart are you?
What he has described is the norm in college towns if you do not have enough friends lined up to be roommates in an X bedroom apartment.

I'd go to the complex manager first, if he doesnt resolve it within 48hr go to the student affairs office.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Simple.........start smoking pot.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

This.

+2

What else were you expecting for a response?

You could contact a lawyer and see if you can get the lease annuled due to the illegal activities.  Can't say what that will cost

Try this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

What he has described is the norm in college towns if you do not have enough friends lined up to be roommates in an X bedroom apartment.

I'd go to the complex manager first, if he doesnt resolve it within 48hr go to the student affairs office.

Kharn

That sucks.  I would find a way to live on my own.  I would never do that crap shoot.  Stoners are bad, but you could wind up with much worse.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Make friends with a cop... invite him over a lot...

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

the only person over 25 i know in this town is an AFT agent. and yes i know what yall think about the ATF
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

Congratulations!  You have just made a stupid mistake.  You'll do better next time.

Seriously though, having roommates who smoke pot isn't the WORST thing to happen.  Deal with it, get a long and move when you have the next opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

If they don't let you out inform them that you'll get the police involved to intercede since the property owners/managers are facilitating drug use and likely the sale of drugs on their property.

It's either let you out of the contract or the police get involved to find out why the property owners are allowing criminal acts.

That sounds like a plan.
-----------

RKell,

How did you come about meeting these two?

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

That sounds like a plan.
-----------

RKell,

How did you come about meeting these two?

it was random room assignment. i didnt pick them
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah that would do a lot of good.

Part of the college experience is learning to work through life's problems.  This is one of them.  Having cops over is like calling the hall monitor for help in dealing with bullies in HS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

it was random room assignment. i didnt pick themWhy did you let them do that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats how it works when you move to a town to go to college and do not know anyone else you can live with
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#23]
"There is a time and place for everything.  That time and place is called college."

At least they aren't meth-heads.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#24]
First of all, never take on a roommate that you don't know.  Its silly to trust a complete stranger around your property and friends.  

And second meet with the landlord and demand to be let out of your lease.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess you should have checked out your prospective roommates better.
I had a druggie roommate assigned to my room back in college and he used to overinduldge to the point of irrationality. Thought I'd gotten a better roomie after I got him moved out; the next guy hung a three foot high cricifix on the wall and proceeded to try to convert me for the next three weeks, til I got rid of HIM. That was the year I went through four roomies....
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Just keep setting their clocks back so they are late to classes and miss tests, they will flunk out after a term or two.
Hell, they'll be stoned, they will never catch on as to what is going on!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why would you move into an apartment with other people you have never met before?   Yeah, move.  EBR's, ammo and weed aren't a good mix.  

Or, you can stay.  We always enjoy reading news stories about guys doing the perp walk for having drugs, guns and ammo in their place.

BTW, i didnt bring any any of my rifles with me
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Talk to them before anything else. Try to work something out. If they're dicks about it, like anything else, it's game on after that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#29]
My buddy in college had a stoner apartment mate (there were 3 friends and the 4th guy was a random stoner that transferred in)

He was a pretty decent guy and they all had an agreement that if he ever gets busted that he man up and say it was all him and no one else in the apartment was responsible.

If you can live with them, then you may want to do that, and even go one step further and have them sign something saying any and all drug stuff is theirs, then mail it to yourself and keep it unopened.. at least then you'll have something if you do get busted and they go back on their word.

Its college though, drugs & drinking are pretty common there and mostly you'll get a slap on the wrist for getting caught with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
First of all, never take on a roommate that you don't know.  Its silly to trust a complete stranger around your property and friends.  

And second meet with the landlord and demand to be let out of your lease.  

the door to my room locks and only i have a key to it. none of my stuff will go in the living room
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats how it works when you move to a town to go to college and do not know anyone else you can live with
I actually spent time looking and trying to meet people when I moved out.

This is something you are going to have to work through.  Chances are nothing bad will happen.  There are staggering amounts of pot being smoked in college towns.  Most people don't get busted and as long as your room mates aren't dealing, no one is going to spend time trying to bust a couple of college stoners.

Work on networking and making friends with people now so you will be able to move out next semester.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Everyone raise their hand who has had to share a dorm/apartment with someone they didn't like.

You never know, these guys may be alright dudes...........
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

He's in college.

But then again so am i. I moved out, bought a house, and nice gun room just for me
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that would do a lot of good.

Part of the college experience is learning to work through life's problems.  This is one of them.  Having cops over is like calling the hall monitor for help in dealing with bullies in HS.

yeah a lot of people here are acting like you walked in on some huge drug ring, its a couple collage guys smoking pot on Saturday. Fuck I used to go visit my friend at collage and get fucked up and play donkey conga all day.

I stand by my could be worse you could have douchebags for roommates.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is something you are going to have to work through.  Chances are nothing bad will happen.  There are staggering amounts of pot being smoked in college towns.  Most people don't get busted and as long as your room mates aren't dealing, no one is going to spend time trying to bust a couple of college stoners.

Work on networking and making friends with people now so you will be able to move out next semester.

Im 20, should i not keep beer in the mini fridge in my room because of the likelyhood of a police visit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd reserve judgement until I saw what quality of pie they were attracting to the apartment.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Im 20, should i not keep beer in the mini fridge in my room because of the likelyhood of a police visit?
No, not only that, you had better not rip the tag off your bed mattress either.

So you are concerned about some guys breaking the law and you, yourself are breaking a law.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Tell them your dad is with DEA & is gonna fuck you up when he visits & catches wind of their shit. Let them know he has the wrath of a JBT!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are concerned about some guys breaking the law and you, yourself are breaking a law.

haha yeah but you can smell that shit down the hall
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#40]
It all depends if they do the dishes or not.  Or eat your food.  Or clean up.

If they're useless, then bail.

If they like to burn, but are good roomies then stay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on how your state's laws (or if you're on campus, their rules) are written.  You may be able to "posess" the alcohol in your room (for your 21 year old girlfriend, of course) but not drink it.  Also, mere posession might only be a ticket/fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha yeah but you can smell that shit down the hall
Tell your roomies that they have yet to master the art of smoking pot.  Incense does wonders for masking pot smell.  Don't ask me how I know...............
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#44]
If someone were committing a crime in my home, I'd be on the phone with the cops.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
If someone were committing a crime in my home, I'd be on the phone with the cops.
So if Junior Admiral_Crunch was burning one, instead of dealing with it as a parent you would call the cops instead?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#46]
GTFO
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's a thought, ask them not to smoke around you and to get some incense. Christ, they're not cooking meth on the stove for chrissakes.

Hell, I feel sorry for the other two guys - you must be a blast to live with.

Quoted:

College kids are smoking pot, holy fucking shit!

Get the Marines here AS-fucking-AP.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So if Junior Admiral_Crunch was burning one, instead of dealing with it as a parent you would call the cops instead?

No, I'd probably just beat him and take away everything he owns except his clothes and his toothbrush.  Then I'd probably try to find out who his dealer is and call the cops on them. These are strangers.  Since I can't legally punish them, I'll call someone who can.

Sorry if the resident drug-heads and drug-head defenders don't agree.  I won't have illegal activity in my house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Most people don't get busted and as long as your room mates aren't dealing, no one is going to spend time trying to bust a couple of college stoners.

Negative on that one.
If he's in Texas, they will bust anyone with a bit of grass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#50]
WAIT!

I just noticed, the OP is talking about TEXAS!!!!

Don't they execute you or throw you in prison for 50 years for a roach in Texas?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top