Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/18/2007 12:10:01 PM EST
I want one with a solid state hard drive, so it wont fail on me or skip or do anything crazy while im working.

Also, which ones have cheaply replaceable batteries? Ive heard stories about how when the batteries start to die out, replacing them isnt worth it, and go get a new Media Player....

Do any of the ones out now or soon to come out take AA or AAA batteries? I would prefer something that took cheap batteries such as those, because i have alot of rechargeables in that size.

Thanks for help guys :)

any size above 2gb would be fine im sure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:15:56 PM EST
I used Creative items. It may bother some, but Al Gore is on the Apple board of Directors....

Sometimes I wish there made more accessories for the Creative stuff, but I usually can find what I want on ebay since best buy and others dont carry much for them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:28:19 PM EST
yea im really not even looking at apple, Price premiums for "name brand" stuff bothers me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:37:16 PM EST
The Creative Labs Zen V Plus is a nice unit with FM turner built in and can be had significantly cheaper than a iPod.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:38:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2007 12:38:53 PM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
The Creative Labs Zen V Plus is a nice unit with FM turner built in and can be had significantly cheaper than a iPod.

Yup, thats the one I have. I also have a Micro Zen for the gym, 6 gig's, I have like 268 songs on it and thats it..I got for Napster to Go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:48:17 PM EST
yea creative is looking sweet.

do they have "proprietary" batteries , you know have to buy em through creative or something silly?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:52:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2007 1:02:47 PM EST by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By Journier:

do they have "proprietary" batteries , you know have to buy em through creative or something silly?

The battery is a built-in rechargeable Li-ion
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:52:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2007 12:52:55 PM EST by VACaver]
I've got a Zen V Plus and it's been great. Only complaint is that when you transfer an album to it from your computer, it rearranges the songs into alphabetical order. There's a setting you can change to stop that, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:08:54 PM EST
i have a toshiba gigabeat s that i like a lot. it was right around 200 on sale for the 60gb
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:20:58 PM EST
Well I know that Apple has a liberal following but I'm pretty happy with the 2 iPods I have. A 30GB iPod video and a 2 GB iPod Nano. I keep my whole collection as well as pictures on my iPod video and take the 2GB iPod to the gym. The 30GB has a hard drive while the 2GB has a solid state flash memory so no skipping.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:32:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bhart89:
Well I know that Apple has a liberal following but I'm pretty happy with the 2 iPods I have. A 30GB iPod video and a 2 GB iPod Nano. I keep my whole collection as well as pictures on my iPod video and take the 2GB iPod to the gym. The 30GB has a hard drive while the 2GB has a solid state flash memory so no skipping.

Nothing wrong with iPods other than they are overpriced, there are players with better capabilities out there for less money. For example the Creative Zen V Plus has a FM turner and is cheaper than an iPod.

Unless you are tied to the Apple music store there is little reason to get an iPod unless you just want one at the extra cost.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:35:53 PM EST

so its not replaceable?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:40:58 PM EST
Creative Labs is the only company out there that makes tier-1 music players and who don't actively support DRM
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:44:01 PM EST

so its not replaceable?

Not user replaceable.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:48:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2007 1:49:24 PM EST by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By Codename46:
Creative Labs is the only company out there that makes tier-1 music players and who don't actively support DRM

Wrong

Creative Labs music players absolutely do actively support DRM in PlayForSure and Audible formats, they just don’t support Apples DRM. This is a good thing If they did not you could use none of the commercial download online books or music stores.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:50:29 PM EST

Nothing wrong with iPods other than they are overpriced, there are players with better capabilities out there for less money. For example the Creative Zen V Plus has a FM turner and is cheaper than an iPod.

Unless you are tied to the Apple music store there is little reason to get an iPod unless you just want one at the extra cost.

Can you store video on the Zen?

Not that it's that important but I have occasionally used the iPod to play videos on TV's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:51:36 PM EST

so its not replaceable?

Not user replaceable.

any clue on how good the battery is, I was thinking creative, but i dont like the idea of "throw away" stuff, after the battery becomes very crappy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:00:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bhart89:

Can you store video on the Zen?

Not that it's that important but I have occasionally used the iPod to play videos on TV's.

The ZEN V Plus will do short video blurbs but it is not really a video player due to storage restrictions of the solid state memory but it does do pictures, record audio, and has a FM receiver but for real video you need one of the ZEN Vision series.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:13:52 PM EST

so its not replaceable?

Not user replaceable.

any clue on how good the battery is, I was thinking creative, but i dont like the idea of "throw away" stuff, after the battery becomes very crappy.

The battery is good usually 12+ hours without pause and mine is still going strong after 6 months.

If it really concerns you considering getting one from Wal-Mart with a extended warranty just keep the paper work and if the battery dies it is covered. Usually you can walk in any store and they will give you a new one or store credit for the full purchase price. The Wal-Mart extended warranty covers damage from normal use, broken jacks, rain, and more. It will cost you a little more but…
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:25:52 PM EST
I've had a sandisk 512MB for the last say 4 years for the gym. Still going strong. I just ordered a 8MB sandisk sansa off amazon for around $165. FM tuner, expandable memory. I think it's good value for the money. I thought about an ipod, but I think it's overpriced.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:33:22 PM EST
I like the Creative Zen Nano 1 gig. It uses 1 AA battery. I like the fact that I don't have to wait for a recharge.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:10:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By zeekh:
I like the Creative Zen Nano 1 gig. It uses 1 AA battery. I like the fact that I don't have to wait for a recharge.

I think im gonna go for the Creative Zen Nano i think, 1 gig is a shit ton of music.

I have just raped Napsters server for every song that ever hit the top 20 on the Billboards...

I think i have 20 gb's of music from them now :)
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:23:12 AM EST
SanDisk 1 GB, fm tuner, .jpg player, mp3 player w/shuffle & loop, recorder (can record off radio or ext. mic, and built in e.q., built in usb/charge port (wire connection - not like a memory stick).

$60 @ Radio Shack, $110 for a 2 GB
Top Top