Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
I still wouldn't get those boots again because they are just uncomfortable, but they stood behind their product.

I got a pair of there composit toe ATAC boots about a month ago. I have been wearing them thinking they'll get broken in, but no such luck. These things are killing my feet. My toes are constantly rubbing against the composit, and since there is no give there, I've realized they're as broken in as they're going to get. I called the company I ordered them from, and they won't take them back because it's been over a month, completely understandable. 5.11 so far won't do anything. Suposedly there going to have someone call me back monday. There just not made to fit.

Edit:I just spoke to a few other co workers about them, and the other 2 guys that ordered them at the same time, had the same problem. As long as they take the boots back I'll be happy. Otherwise I'm done with them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
So you buy a boot, wear it for a month and you excpect the company to take them back because they don't fit?  I don't usually wear boots with steel/composite toes, so I'm really not sure, but I'd figure if they were to mold to my feet from daily wear and body heat, that they wouldn't really afford me much protection.  Maybe you should have returned them after you tried them on and felt your toes rubbing instead of blaming a company for making a boot that doesn't fit.  Maybe a larger size would have fit better.  I'm really not following your rant.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm really not following your rant.

Nor am I. You wore them for one month and now you're loking for a refund? Barring any actual manufacturing defect, I wouldn't hold my breath.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Me either.  Every pair of boots or shoes that I have ever bought has come with the caveat that if they're worn outside, they won't take them back.  I have wierd feet (standard 11.5D but bunions and a stress fracture), so I never buy footwear online.  I'll try them on for an hour in the store, then take them home and wear them while watching TV or putting away dishes before I make the final decision to keep them and wear them outside.

Not be harsh, but I wouldn't expect the best reception to a demand that they take back a pair of boots you've worn hard for a month.  Maybe put them up on the EE or try trade them?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Most safety toe boots are designed to be comfortable about 1/2 a size larger than you normally wear. The gap between the toe cap and your toes is there to allow some crush room so the cap can absorb impact without actually squashing your toes.  If you can get them replaced and you are dealing with a helpful customer service person, see if they recommend alarger size for safety toe shoes and boots.  I ordered boots for my entire shop this year, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about safety toe boots.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy boots from a company that makes clothes.

5.11: clothes

Danner: Boots.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
They do fit. They are the right size. The problem is they didn't make the toe wide enough. I'm missing a chunk of skin off of my toe because there is a sharp edge where the safety toe meets the leather. I'd call it a poor design. I have had them a month, but this was the 5th time I wore them. I trhink it's just a bad design. Of the people that got the same boot in the same order 3 out of 3 (including myself) are trying to send them back to the company. That tells me it's not a fit issue, it's a design issue.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They do fit. They are the right size. The problem is they didn't make the toe wide enough. I'm missing a chunk of skin off of my toe because there is a sharp edge where the safety toe meets the leather. I'd call it a poor design. I have had them a month, but this was the 5th time I wore them. I trhink it's just a bad design. Of the people that got the same boot in the same order 3 out of 3 (including myself) are trying to send them back to the company. That tells me it's not a fit issue, it's a design issue.

The thing is, everybody's feet are different a design that works for you, may not work for others.
I go through a lot of steel toes and some I can't wear, and some I can. But you have to try them on to know.

Thinking that the safety toe itself is going to break in is the problem. I'd have known in 5 minutes it wasn't going to work. I learned the same lesson that you did with my first pair of steel toes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
From what I have heard of 5.11 they are good for clothing like npd said...

If you got the $ get the danners!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought made in USA Danner's.  I wear 11 and 1/2 D shoes, they recommended 12E boots for safety toe boots. They work perfectly.  If you can get your money back, send Danner an email, you will be a lot happier and so will your feet.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There just not made to fit.  

And  

Quoted:
They do fit.

You need to get your story straight, either they fit or they do not.

I understand your plight about them not breaking in, and that is a problem, since the only way to properly break-in a pair of boots is to wear them, thus nullifying your ability in most situations to return them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You need to get your story straight, either they fit or they do not.

I understand your plight about them not breaking in, and that is a problem, since the only way to properly break-in a pair of boots is to wear them, thus nullifying your ability in most situations to return them.

??? Am I in General Discusion all of a sudden? Does that really not make sence? They are the correct size. The rub against my toes. Does this satisfy you? Is my story strait now?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not picking on your taste in footware. I'm just saying, I have worked more than twenty years in military and commerical environments where electrical( compostite) and/or steel toes are required.  There is almost nothing worse than a pair of crappy fitting boots and a 12 mile hike.

I'm offering what will hopfully be a helpful piece of advice for future boot purchases. That is that, safety toe shoes and boots are not sized like regular boots. If you look at Danner.com you can see they use a different welt design. Your toes are not supposed to be as snug as conventional boots.

If you try on anything with a safety toe and it touches your toes, it will kill your feet. Some boots are sized to take the toe into account, some are not.  When I bought my last set of Arcadias from Danner, I asked and they recommended 12E if I wore a 11.5D.  I thought it was a recipe for a crappy boot, but they are perfect.  If you can get your money back or a replacement. It might be a good idea to try and get a replacement a half a size longer and/or a width wider.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Besides, most places wont take footwear back if it's been worn outside.  

Too bad Cabelas dosen't sell these. I've seen some shoes come back that obviously gave their owner plenty of mileage but they manage to not like them anymore because they wore out
ETA: oops, I didn't realize this was BOTS
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
lonegunman:I know, it wasn't your message I was replying to. Sorry if it sounded that way. Your right, the hard part about it is I had to order these throught the mail, so I don't get to try them out first. The other problem was, they felt great until I had them on for about an hour.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
lonegunman:I know, it wasn't your message I was replying to. Sorry if it sounded that way. Your right, the hard part about it is I had to order these throught the mail, so I don't get to try them out first. The other problem was, they felt great until I had them on for about an hour.

Maybe you were referring to my post then. In that case I'll add more words to clarify.

5.11 started by making clothes. I seriously doubt they even make the boots they sell under their brand name, but rather just pay someone else to put their brand name on them. Danner has one of the best reputations around for making duty boots, and since we're on our feet all the time in this line of work, putting quality first when choosing boots is important.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

??? Am I in General Discusion all of a sudden? Does that really not make sence? They are the correct size. The rub against my toes. Does this satisfy you? Is my story strait now?

I think I see the problem now. +5.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking at getting a pair of them, maybe i wont
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top