Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 12:29:14 PM EDT
Heres the deal my asvab scores are high enough for all three of these jobs, infantry, calvary scout and m1 armor crewman, and insight you guys have on these mos's please share, i cant decide on one, thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick an MOS that will give you skills for the time after you get out.  
I went 03-11 (USMC) and it didn't really help me much in civillian life....had a blast though.  :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How big are your balls?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pick an MOS that will give you skills for the time after you get out.  
I went 03-11 (USMC) and it didn't really help me much in civillian life....had a blast though.  :)

Same here, and I highly recommend it!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an A.A.S. degree in civil engineering and have been working doing this for 4 years now, Im also a certified firefighter, I dont know maybe should do something with surveying and road construction?  But i also would like to go infantry to fight, Its hard trying to make up my mind!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
stay out fo the artillery, too many lazy ass motherfuckers there!  good luck, carry on!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
19 Kilo,  You wont regret it,  I spent my time at Ft. Hood on the M1A1, and M1A2 Sep,  both are awesome machines and the job was fun most of the time,  except when we turned our A1's in then we hung out for like 3 months doing BS Duty.  some guarded, some were lifeguards, some mowed etc.  If you got a good set of cods  go cav scout,   those guys had it the worst I think,   Combat Arms is the way to go,  High enough ASVAB or not,  I scored 98% and asked for the Tanker MOS cause it looked the coolest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a tanker and love it. Only catch is that we're a diminishing breed, and if you go to Iraq, you've a better chance of going in a HMMWV than a tank.

If you really want to have a stetson you can do it as a tanker in a Cav regiment. You would still be termed a Cav Trooper, even if not a 19D.

As for infantry.. Why carry a weapon when your weapon can carry you?

That said, it's a character difference. I've long concluded that DATs have an entirely different attitude than Crunchies. The one probably wouldn't enjoy life as the other.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually don't post in these threads because I didn't serve.  However, let me give you a little bit of advice.  When someone tells you to "get a skill you can use when you get out" ask yourself how long you want to do the same thing.

Let me explain.  I work in sales.  Everyday is the same.  Every freakin' day for the rest of my life will be the same.  Every day since I started working has been the same.  I can't remember one day or meeting or deal or trip that was different from another.  I've been to every major city in the US and Canada.  I've been to the Middle East, Europe, Asia and South America.  The conference rooms in Frankfurt look exactly like the conference rooms in Atlanta.

You have 45 years to work and develop skills.  Take a few of the early ones to make some memories.  Just my $.02

G
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to agree with not worrying about acquiring "after Army" skills.  I did my 6 years as a 12B, talk about ZERO civilian skills.  No job skills to use in civilian life, but I did very much enjoy my job.  And no matter what you do in the Army, if you apply yourself you will develop life skills that you will carry on no matter what you decide to do after you get out.  Since I got out I have been a furniture assembler, printer, ran a machine that made napkins, worked in a paper mill, and now I am an journeyman electrician.  The things I learned in the Army have helped me in all of those jobs.  Skills like never giving up, always being on time, not looking like a "shit bag", etc...

But with all that being said, I think that of the MOSs that you listed, I would go with the Cav Scout.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
<-- Whatever the Army's anti armor MOS is.

The benifits are you will usually be vehicle mounted and you get to blow shit up. It will give you zero skills for the civilain world unless you want to be a cop, prison guard, ect...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
19D--Cav Scout--alot like Infantry, a bit more mobile (hence:less walking), plus you get to call for fire
Downside is you see as much combat as 11 series, but no CIB
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I was Infantry.
I'd recommend anything else.

ETA:  Because you asked which one. If the Infantry is for you, you will already know it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
While I understand looking for an MOS that will help you get a good civilian job, my take is you should go for an MOS that corresponds to your skills, so you can make the most contribution to our efforts in Iraq.  You MAY end up liking it enough that you will make the Army a career.  If you seek a job that you enjoy doing, your time will go by very quickly and you will enjoy your job.  Many times, those jobs which prepare you for a civilian career may not be the jobs you actually like doing.  I guess studying Accounting or Business Administration could have helped me get a higher paying job when I went to college, but both subjects bored the sh*t out of me and I decided not to go that route.  The situation is probably analogous to choosing the wrong MOS.  (If you enjoy doing a job AND it prepares you for a civilian career - that's the best of both worlds, but this is somewhat rare)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
my brother just took me on post to talk to some people in many MOSs(infantry,MP,tankers,medical,airborne,SF,and office people. i talked to officers, high ranking enlisted men and a few guys on the bottom. 2 things i was told by everyone. #1 join up don't just fit in do the best that you can at all times. #2 pick an mos that you are not living in the field you have time to go to school and learn a skill that you can use after you get out. many of these people i talked to have been in every hot spot since vietnam.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have an AAS in Civil Engineering and want to blow shit up and play with mines look into being a Combat Engineer. That can lead to a spot on a Special Forces group too.

I have heard good things about being a Cav Scout too. I think you can get into Ranger and Jump School as a Cav Scout. That may lead to a spot as an SF guy too.

If you want to be a professional warrior you might look into how to land a spot as a contractor or a CIA operations guy when you get out of the army. That would allow you to use those Infantry and Cav Scout skills.

I have no mil background but that is what I would look at.

edited to add

By the professional warrior bit I ment that you could use your Infantry or Cav Scout skills more directly in one of those jobs. Not that being in the Army is not being a professional warrior.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you have an AAS in Civil Engineering and want to blow shit up and play with mines look into being a Combat Engineer. That can lead to a spot on a Special Forces group too.

I have heard good things about being a Cav Scout too. I think you can get into Ranger and Jump School as a Cav Scout. That may lead to a spot as an SF guy too.

If you want to be a professional warrior you might look into how to land a spot as a contractor or a CIA operations guy when you get out of the army. That would allow you to use those Infantry and Cav Scout skills.

You have to be very, very good to get an invite into CIA's SAS

www.specwarnet.com/americas/sas.htm

They only take the best from the SEALS, Special Forces, etc, and you probably have some idea how hard it is to become a SEAL of Special Forces soldier.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They only take the best from the SEALS, Special Forces, etc, and you probably have some idea how hard it is to become a SEAL of Special Forces soldier.

Well he may end up being that good. I know it's difficult to land a job as a CIA operations guy, but it's not impossible. If his background is clean and he has the grit and drive he could do it. If he wants it bad enough I think he could do it. It would be a good long term goal, and if he put in what it took to be a spook and didn't make the mark he would have the skill set to be a contractor for Dynacopr, Blackwater, or Haliburton.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
18X of course...this will lead you to other things later
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Infantry here, Loved it and went to all kinds of schools and learned all kinds of cool shit, Doing nothing with it in civy life. Wish I would of staid in now.

Loved The Tankers on cold wet nights!!!!!!! Always had a way of warming us up after a long cold wet march.

Choose what you think you want to do. Only you know wat makes you happy!  Make the most out of it, if you dont like it change you're mos when you re-up.

Infantry Hoouuu!!!!!

Thank you for serving!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well he may end up being that good. I know it's difficult to land a job as a CIA operations guy, but it's not impossible. If his background is clean and he has the grit and drive he could do it. If he wants it bad enough I think he could do it. It would be a good long term goal, and if he put in what it took to be a spook and didn't make the mark he would have the skill set to be a contractor for Dynacopr, Blackwater, or Haliburton.

That is quite true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#21]
just look at my screen name
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for all your advice guys i really appreciate it, Im still thinking about it but i think i would really enjoy the tank crewman, the way i look at it is i dont really want an mos that will help me when i get out I already have a civil engineering degree and 4 years experience to do that when i get out.  I want to take full advantage of bein in the army, i want to experience everything it has to offer while im still young and not tied down.  I talked to the recruiter today he said i would start out as an e-3 private first class and said i could probally make e-4 in 6 months to a year.  All ive been thinkin about is our soldiers over in that shithole and i want to do my part to help them, The way the bleeding heart liberals make our troops look bad and say there not accomplishing anything make me fucking sick.   I want to got and fight for this great country of ours, i know freedom isnt free and im willing to do what i think is right as a man.  If i do get shipped to the sandbox, Ill make sure to give them hell from you boys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]
11B1P  - Infantry Parachutist.

While it's true nobody will pay you to hurt people and break stuff (Legally, anyway!) after your service, the stuff you learn there will get you thru anything you do for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
18X of course...this will lead you to other things later

Just like I said in the other thread!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#25]
If you have a four year degree, you should be going in as an E-4/SPC. I did.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#26]
EOD the best job in the military.  Period.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thank you for all your advice guys i really appreciate it, Im still thinking about it but i think i would really enjoy the tank crewman, the way i look at it is i dont really want an mos that will help me when i get out I already have a civil engineering degree and 4 years experience to do that when i get out.  I want to take full advantage of bein in the army, i want to experience everything it has to offer while im still young and not tied down.  I talked to the recruiter today he said i would start out as an e-3 private first class and said i could probally make e-4 in 6 months to a year.  All ive been thinkin about is our soldiers over in that shithole and i want to do my part to help them, The way the bleeding heart liberals make our troops look bad and say there not accomplishing anything make me fucking sick.   I want to got and fight for this great country of ours, i know freedom isnt free and im willing to do what i think is right as a man.  If i do get shipped to the sandbox, Ill make sure to give them hell from you boys!

Fuck those tanks.

All those former tankers remember the cool shit, but forget all the time they spent PMCSing that bitch and playing grease monkey.

Lots of hours in the motor pool for every hour in the saddle.

I'm not a 19D, but right now my duty MOS has me assigned as a section leader in a scout platoon.  19D is cooler than 19K, and 11B is better than 19D, and go light.  Stay away from any assignment that involves you and a tracked vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top