Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/19/2002 5:58:47 PM EST
My new neighbor next to me just retro fitted his old house with central air. He works for a plumbing/heating wholesaler and he must have bought the cheapest piece of crap in his catalog. Unfortunetly, I'm the one having to put up with this piece of crap that sounds worse than a DC-9 taking off. He put the exterior compressor about 15 feet from my porch. This has made my porch absolutely useless when he has it running. We can't even hold a conversation without yelling at each other, it makes our ears hurt and gives us headaches. We have to go in the house and even close the doors & windows on that side of the house to get away from it. I've tried to talk to him about it, but basically got a "hahaha, but not my problem!" response. I called a local lawyer and he said there was absolutely nothing he could do about it because it's a standard household product that he was allowed to have and use. I countered that it couldn't possibly be acceptable to have something that was so annoying that it ruined the peace and tranquility of your property. (ie, a nuisance). I asked if it would be legal to start up a lawn mower and run it all day, would that not be creating a nuisance? He said no, because it was a standard household product. He said if it was a piece of heavy equipment, that would be different. Is there anything that can possibly be done, legally, to make him do something about the noise?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:03:44 PM EST
Yes since you can operate any standard household product go to your local Radio Shack and get some of those really big PA speakers and hook them up to your porch. Then get a microphone and connect them to it, use the Mic to amplify the sound from his AC right back at him! 10 FOLD!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:17:25 PM EST
That is a great idea if you have the cash. I was thinking more along the lines a a weak muratic acid bath every few days. Weather is hell on those outside appliances.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:20:27 PM EST
Your screwed on this one. Hes allowed to have any pos compressor he can get. I would suggest installing some insulated windows if its really that bad. Otherwise, hope that something happens to his compressor in the meantime, by natural causes of course. [:)] Bill3508
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:28:57 PM EST
Put up a couple of 6' high sections of fence about 18-24" on your side of the property line between the compressor and your porch. The fence will have the practical benefit of helping to act as a sound barrier, and the 18-24" of clearance will be enough for you to get at the far side of the fence so you can paint it your choice of beautifully garish color combinations. Just make sure you do yourself proud.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:32:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheFNG: Yes since you can operate any standard household product go to your local Radio Shack and get some of those really big PA speakers and hook them up to your porch. Then get a microphone and connect them to it, use the Mic to amplify the sound from his AC right back at him! 10 FOLD!
View Quote
That was my first thought...get LOUDER!!!! hehehehe
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:31:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By larry_b: Put up a couple of 6' high sections of fence about 18-24" on your side of the property line between the compressor and your porch. The fence will have the practical benefit of helping to act as a sound barrier, and the 18-24" of clearance will be enough for you to get at the far side of the fence so you can paint it your choice of beautifully garish color combinations. Just make sure you do yourself proud.
View Quote
Just what I was thinking. Just make sure you put metal panels of some sort facing towards his house so the noise is reflected full force back to him. On your side, put some nie looking wood along with some vining growth so the wall disappears in time. Think of a clam shell used in music for the physical set up!!! mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:40:37 AM EST
If you like him and don't really want to stir up a hornets nest, talk to an HVAC guy and find out how to make it quieter like insulating the part that is loud or what ever the top of the line guys do to make it quiet. Find out how much it costs, and talk to him about it then offer to pay half, it would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to solve th problem
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:12:19 AM EST
There may be city or county building codes that require sound reflective or deadening fences or walls when an air conditioner compressor is placed within a certain distance of a neighbor's home. Where I'm at, a block wall is required. Check with your local building department and complain about a code violation if one exists.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:26:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dave_G: There may be city or county building codes that require sound reflective or deadening fences or walls when an air conditioner compressor is placed within a certain distance of a neighbor's home. Where I'm at, a block wall is required. Check with your local building department and complain about a code violation if one exists.
View Quote
Also check zoning laws. Many towns require a minimum offset from neighbors land/house.
Top Top