Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:40:06 AM EDT
I'm in the process of starting up a rifle club at the Univ of Ga and need some help, information, suggestions etc.  I have to come up with a constitution for it stating the purpose and bylaws.  Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Need a good statement of purpose and what could be some requirements for admission into the club.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Posted a link to this in the wisconsin HT, one of those guys is involved with a student gun group just can't remember who
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You need 2 things -

1. You NEED  to get NRA certification as a range safety officer / instructor AND you need NRA affiliation for your club.

2. You NEED to make it as safe, structured, organized, and legitimate as possible. Enhances credibility.

NOW go call the NRA.

I applaud your efforts. But do it the right way so that **** I *****don;t have to explain to some anti gunner why guns AREN'T bad just because someone got killed in YOUR organization.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need 2 things -

1. You NEED  to get NRA certification as a range safety officer / instructor AND you need NRA affiliation for your club.

2. You NEED to make it as safe, structured, organized, and legitimate as possible. Enhances credibility.

NOW go call the NRA.

I applaud your efforts. But do it the right way so that **** I *****don;t have to explain to some anti gunner why guns AREN'T bad just because someone got killed in YOUR organization.

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need 2 things -

NOW go call the NRA.

How difficult is it to get certification?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]

NOW go call the NRA
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a range about 10 miles away from campus.  It's a private range though that requires membership.  I was going to check and see if we could get a student/group rate.  I went by the Student Activities place today and picked up the packet that explains the rules and regulations.  I've also already met with the University Police Chief and cleared everything with him.  So that area is covered.  I was going to get a list of people that would be interested in joining/founding it.  I was hoping to get 15-20 people interrested.  that way it wouldn't be completely funded by me at first.  The university does provide a spot on their servers for the website and i believe they'll actually design it if you give them everything they need.  Right now I'm in the planning phase of things.  I haven't taken any actions towards anything just yet.  I just thought it would be a good idea to promote firearm safety as well as have fun with other college students.  It seems that UGA has a club for every other sport except for the ones dealing with firearms, except for paintball.  I'm going to try to find a few faculty members who would be interested in helping to help me with the founding to get someone else involved other than just a "college student".  Thanks for the input.  Funding is available through the university, but I doubt we'll ever see any of it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out our club in the liberal stronghold of America, Madison WI. I'll shoot you an email...

In the meantime, check out our website.

-Adrian
Secretary, SAFER
UW-Madison Gun Club
http://safer.rso.wisc.edu
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Forget it.

Seriously.

What you gonna shoot? Air guns?

I don't think so.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, by the way...

It IS a lot of work, but if you have a close group of friends who can help you, it's not too bad.

We are an NRA affiliated club. None of us are NRA SOs but we are working on that. Six of us will graduate LFI-I in October. We stress safety, safety, safety, and cover our asses legally.

As for funding, we do our homework, fill out grant applications, and go in and defend them. We have been very successful. We received over $600 for the year, and a $1200 travel grant to go to LFI. Our group promotes multi-culturalism (gun owners on a liberal campus is definitely cultural), as well as assault/rape awareness and prevention.

Campus police and anti-gun groups? Fuck em. Too controversial? Bullshit. Know your rights, make strong arguments, know the law, and don't screw up. We can't have guns on campus, so we don't. I dare anyone to come break up our meeting, then I can sue them for violating several of my rights.

You do need off campus housing if you want guns (most likely GA has the same rules as UW). You will also need an off campus shooting range... there have to be some outside of Minneapolis. Go to their range meetings and sign you and your officers up. Shoot there, go to the meetings, tell them you want a sponsorship and reduced price memeberships. Sell your club, get corporate sponsorships.

Insurance? Wow, even UW doesnt require crap like that, that I know of. You can be a formal campus club, and then just do your stuff in an 'unorganized' manner. We all take our own cars and stuff.. just a bunch of buddies going shooting.

Money? Yeah, it will cost some money, but really not that much more if you already spends too much money on guns like I do :)

Anyways, I just wrote that for anyone else reading the board who is considering starting their own club. It can be done, it is totally worth it, you WILL get recognition for it form people in the gun community, and you will get a TON of people who say "there's a gun club at ..... wow, I never knew. That's awesome, good job guys!"

We have got a ton of information that we can discuss via email or by phone later on. Read the email I sent you, and drop me a line.

-Adrian
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Forget it.

Seriously.

What you gonna shoot? Air guns?

I don't think so.

CRC

Imbroglio could be annoying.

An Imbroglio knockoff is just insufferable.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

a 2 day class, take a test, send in you paperwork.

Its a formailty, but an important one.

MORe important is the RSO training.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
hat

And to top it all off...  YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN WINSCONSIN!  hock.gif  I'm sorry...  h,

But don't get me started on the Gophers.. or the Vikings for that matter! Yuck!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Adrian sent me a link to this thread to see if I had any advice to offer.  I've been the President of SAFER for a couple of years now.  I took over the club when the last Pres graduated and all of the other officers moved away or graduated.  One of the masterminds behind starting SAFER spends a lot of his time on arfcom (I won't point him out unless he wants to speak up).

I can say that if you have a club with more than 4 people it will become ENORMOUSLY time consuming.  If your club is also politically active and there are any gun policies being tossed around your state, you will not have enough time to take a relaxing shit in the morning.  Your grades will probably suffer unless you have equally active officers helping you every step of the way.

iNuhBaD' gave you a lot of great advice.  I wish someone had explained all of this to me before I took over my club.  

Oh, it costs a lot more than Adrian realizes unless you can get some money out of the University.  Before we got funding I spent far too much money keeping the club alive.  Take and use every benefit that you can find through the school.  There are probably services offered that you've never heard about.  I (and our treasurer) have worked our asses off to get the second largest operations grant and second largest travel grant awarded to UW student organizations this year.  The key is being 10 times as professional, 10 times as logical, and 10 times as dedicated than the rest of the retards trying to get money from the cookie jar.  Do not give them a single reason to think that your club will be a bunch of hillbillies toting guns around school and throwing Highlife cans in the back of their rusted out pickup trucks.  You have to have a correct and logical answer to each and every stupid ass question that they will ask you.  Keep your cool no matter how much their anti-gun agenda shows.  It becomes very political, but it's worth it.  If you're uncomfortable making calm arguements with someone who doesn't know a .45 chamber from their asshole you will need to find someone who is.  Be professional, be smart, think ahead.  If things don't go your way at first, try a different tactic.

Anyway, if you'd like to start a SAFER chapter at Ga, just drop me an email.  I can give you copies of our constitution and whatever other help I can offer.  

Anthony

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Adrian sent me a link to this thread to see if I had any advice to offer.  I've been the President of SAFER for a couple of years now.  I took over the club when the last Pres graduated and all of the other officers moved away or graduated.  One of the masterminds behind starting SAFER spends a lot of his time on arfcom (I won't point him out unless he wants to speak up).

I can say that if you have a club with more than 4 people it will become ENORMOUSLY time consuming.  If your club is also politically active and there are any gun policies being tossed around your state, you will not have enough time to take a relaxing shit in the morning.  Your grades will probably suffer unless you have equally active officers helping you every step of the way.

iNuhBaD' gave you a lot of great advice.  I wish someone had explained all of this to me before I took over my club.  

Oh, it costs a lot more than Adrian realizes unless you can get some money out of the University.  Before we got funding I spent far too much money keeping the club alive.  Take and use every benefit that you can find through the school.  There are probably services offered that you've never heard about.  I (and our treasurer) have worked our asses off to get the second largest operations grant and second largest travel grant awarded to UW student organizations this year.  The key is being 10 times as professional, 10 times as logical, and 10 times as dedicated than the rest of the retards trying to get money from the cookie jar.  Do not give them a single reason to think that your club will be a bunch of hillbillies toting guns around school and throwing Highlife cans in the back of their rusted out pickup trucks.  You have to have a correct and logical answer to each and every stupid ass question that they will ask you.  Keep your cool no matter how much their anti-gun agenda shows.  It becomes very political, but it's worth it.  If you're uncomfortable making calm arguements with someone who doesn't know a .45 chamber from their asshole you will need to find someone who is.  Be professional, be smart, think ahead.  If things don't go your way at first, try a different tactic.

Anyway, if you'd like to start a SAFER chapter at Ga, just drop me an email.  I can give you copies of our constitution and whatever other help I can offer.  

Anthony

Glad you got to this thread, I wasn't sure if it was you or Corey tht was involed with the group, at first i thought it was corey, but either way glad you found this thread so kblagg can get some good first hand info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Well just an update....I contacted four local businesses for possible sponsorships and have heard from two of them, with them both saying that it is probable.  I just have to go meet with them and discuss it further.  So we're making progress.  One of the ranges offered to help with fundraising for us.  Here are links to the 2 places that offered to help.  

Brush Creek Farm
Athens Rifle Club
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My brother goes to a prestigious private school in WA, and his entire Crew team is looking into renting the majority of an indoor range for the day. My brother is the only shooter on the team. Its a liberal school too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Just an update on the club.  Its definately been time consuming and hard work to get it up and running.  However its paid off.  I've gotten a sponsorship through a local Gun Store as well as through a range.  We currently have 37 members and have yet to receive our club charter from the University.  We have new people interested everyday.  Thanks for all the help to those who gave advice/suggestions.  Especially the guys up at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#23]
In addition to NRA cert you will want to seek CMP membership for the club as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In addition to NRA cert you will want to seek CMP membership for the club as well.

Ayup!  Garands for everyone!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the update.  Let me know what happens in the future.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#26]
U of F Gun Club

Check with these guys, they started up the UF club recently.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]
We are now an official club through my university.  Just an FYI.  All the hard work has paid off.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We are now an official club through my university.  Just an FYI.  All the hard work has paid off.

HOORAH!  Way to go! Congratulations on seeing your efforts come to fruition.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top