Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 9:31:20 AM EDT
A friend of mine needs the starter replaced on her 95 buick century.  Is it something I can do or is it in a hard place to get at?  Any suggestion to make it a little easier? thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
drop the $15 on a haynes manual, should be a big help for you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
What motor?

It's not especially difficult.

You have to disconnect the battery negative cable first.

Then you have two wires, the small one is an 8mm or 9mm and the large one will be 13mm or 15mm,

After that you have the two starter bolts to remove. These are 15mm usually, but there could be a shim or spacer on the top of the starter that you must re-use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What motor?

Then you have two wires, the small one is an 8mm or 9mm and the large one will be 13mm or 15mm,

After that you have the two starter bolts to remove. These are 15mm usually, but there could be a shim or spacer on the top of the starter that you must re-use.

It is  the 6 cyl.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What motor?

It is  the 6 cyl.

OK, just follow the steps above to remove the starter, you will need a 15mm swivel socket, or a short 15mm socket with universal swivel and an extension. Be careful of the oil pressure switch on the way out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
ok...thanks for the replys
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I see you are from NY, when I posted I was at my place in PA, but I'm back at work. Maybee I can lend a hand. I'm in Westchester County, where in NY are you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top