Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:52:28 PM EDT
hi guys.

i've got a gym membership and i workout pretty steadily. i'm 6'3, 200 pounds and i'm 24 years old. i dont have a lot of fat on me but i have a little on the insides of my thighs, some on my sides, and my lower abs. i'd like to burn that and overall tone my muscles.

i did a lot of building over the past year and a half and that brought my weight up a fair deal, i've since been trying to tone a lot, work my cardio more(i was a bad person and didn't focus on it as much as i should have), as well as shape up my body overall with less emphasis on bulking up.

what i do
- i try and run 3 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour 15, depending on the time allotted.
- i use an assisted lat pullup machine to help me get 3 sets of 10. i can do 3 unassisted with arms fully extended.
-i do 20 minutes of stretches for arms, shoulders, legs, and back each time i workout.
-i do 3 sets of 20 lunges, squats, and jumping squats
-i generally max out twice on pushups, alternating between incline, decline, triangle, regular, and wide.
-i do light freeweight weight shoulder exercises
-i do 4 sets of 10 bench press, alternating incline, decline and flat press.
-i do a lot of freeweight exercises to work chest and shoulder as well as dead lifts to hit the back(and overall body shape)

where i'm having problems i know of
-i do crunches and decline leg lifts, but i'm not feeling a lot of burn in my abs / getting any progress, so i'm wondering if there is a better method to work on it.
-i'm also looking to tone my back and i dont know many good exercises
-and likewise with my obliques.

what should i do to hit my trouble zones / anything i should change to get a great workout.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You cant spot redeuce fat.  To get a leaner midsection you need to diet harder.

Your weight workouts are generally not heavy enough.  You need to do weighted ab work if you want better ab muscles.  Put the incline board on max incline, hold a weight over the top of your head, do crunches.  Thats one way to add weight to your ab workout.

There are a ton of ab workouts you can do for the entire midsection that require no weight.  It would take too long to describe them so I will look for a site that might have pics and post if I find a good one.

...Well, cant find anything so I will describe a good one and look some more.

Lay on back with arms extended out to sidesand feet together like you are doing an iron cross or crucafix pose.  Lift feet 6 inches off ground. Lift legs straight up with knees straight and simultaniously roll hips to one side untill you touch your toes to the ground right next to your hand on one side (I hope that makes sense). Your ass and lower back wont be touching the floor but your arms and shoulders still will be. Return to original position and dont let feet touch floor when you go back to the iron cross position.  Do it again to other side.  That is 1 rep.  Start with 10 reps and go up from there.  Its harder than it sounds.

This exercsie works the lower abs and obliques quite well.  You will also feel some in your lower back.  Much better all around ab exercsie than a simple crunch or leg lift.  A good alternative to the leg raises after doing your weighted crunches.

I do a circuit of lying leg lifts and other floor ab work but it will take way to long to try and describe each exercise.  The one I provided I think is the best but its not real hard unless its after a set of leg lifts. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say at 6'3" and 200 you are kinda skinny.  I'm 5'10" and 205.  I think you should try some heavier weights and stretch what fat you have over some more muscle.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
tag for later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top