Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/2/2002 9:50:49 PM EDT
Hi. I was hit by a drunk driver New Years Eve and it messed up my knees and ruptured/herniated 2 consecutive lumbar discs. I have had a 10 day hospital stay in June and am finally able to start moving around again, but 8 months of bedrest has gained me a serious amount of weight. Before this I ran approximately 2 miles every other day on the beach and had just started BJJ 3 months prior, but aside from that I didn't pay much attention to what I ate, I suppose the running kept me in shape so I didn't have to think about it. I'm in college and my dream is to enter the Army afterwards, I'm smart, logical, and a damn good shot :-), but my injury has me in serious jeopardy of that. I need to really get back in shape if I'm going to do this, and I have no idea where to start. I talked to a recruiter who told me I could get a medical exception if I showed a 100% recovery, and I plan on going 150%. I need every and any bit of help/suggestions anyone has to offer. My doc has me doing physical therapy, but I'm not satisfied with the results, and believe that a combination of weight droppage and muscle strengthening will do the trick much better than ultrasound and massage. I have no fear of pain, as long as its constructive. I am currently still on pain meds, and have just started regular trips out of the house, have been driving for 2 months. I have 2 goals: 1. drop the weight 2. be able to run again and continue my BJJ training I hope I don't sound too pathetic in asking you for help, I just don't know where to begin, and from reading this forum it sounds like the readers here do. I greatly appreciate any and all help all of you have to offer. Thank you. Tiffany
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:13:43 AM EDT
Not to the same extent, but I also injured both knees. I went the ultrasound/massage route via health insurance also.I found it gravely lacking. A ecliptical(sp)machine I've found very helpful,as theres lessened impact on the knees with similar running motion. Muscle atrophy sucks but it comes back! Your young, hope all works out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:19:17 AM EDT
Have you been given any thought to incorporating body resistance exercises, that promote use of your major muscle groups as a starting block? Things such as squats, lunges and push-ups? You can modify the squats by using a swiss ball between your back and a wall and maintain good form. Add a set of dumbells and increase your load on your quads. Start slow and carefully and see how your knees react to the stress. After you begin recruiting the major muscle groups, you'll begin burning more calories and will help the weight loss. Good luck to you on your recovery and reaching your goals!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:00:13 PM EDT
Hello! It's not pathetic but this is a very sensitive subject. I would definitely not do any serious weight lifting or running while on pain medication. The right advice could get you back in tip-top shape (albeit slowly). The wrong advice will disable you permanently (or worse). Have you discussed with your doctor your goal to enlist? What does s/he say? Also, you *can* give constructive feedback to your physical therapist. S/he should also know of your goal to enlist. Rather than express it in terms of "I am unhappy with my progress," instead express it something like "I think I am making good progress and can accelerate the intensity and volume of work I am doing." More than likely, the physical therapist will start giving you bodyweight exercises. Also, now is the time to have them suggest posture, flexibility, and range of motion exercises (which will help you perform better at everything for the rest of your life). HTH, James
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:35:51 AM EDT
First, I would talk about my goals with my doctor, and maybe the therapist too. Second, I have some of the same problems. C7 herniated, several crushed vertabrae, little cartlidge left in my ankles and feet, and a bunch of other minor shit. Running is not an option for me, as it invariably leads to injury, and more downtime. 50 mg of VIOXX a day helps most of the time! [8D] From advice from some of the guys here, I have found an eliptical trainer about the best damned thing, followed by riding a bicycle, and throwing in some workouts in the pool. Good luck with your therapy, and I hope you reach your goal on a schedule that is better than expected!
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:28:53 PM EDT
Top Top