Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT

A girl i am currently dating is a vegetarian. Her parents switched to the green diet right after she was born, so she and her 2 siblings have grown up without ever having meat. Thus, she has absolutely no clue how to cook it either.

I need some advice on a few things: firstly, i want to get her to try it. i dont mean putting a 20oz steak infront of her, but i think she should experiment. I dont care if she stays vegan, but i think any person should at least experience such a mainstream food. (we have teeth of omnivores, which means we're supposed to eat BOTH!)

first: what do you recommend i cook for her as something to try. i figure chicken might be a good idea, as its 'pretty healthy' as well.

secondly: how do you recommend i go about doing this/convincing her to try it?

third: any woman i'm with years from now has to know how to make burgers, chicken, and ribs. i have no problem helping out with that but..

and finally i'd like to leave this with a disclaimer that i've had some of their vegetarian food and some of its pretty good (i like a lot of vegetables, etc. so its not a big change) - i love stirfry but i think the chicken makes it complete. without chicken, somethings missing

btw, i couldnt tell the difference between fake and real pepperoni, even after i pulled a slice off and was analyzing it. if i cant tell, i dont care (and it has a little less fat...)

so help me get her to eat my meat, dammit!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:29:44 PM EDT
tell her its tofu.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:30:14 PM EDT
eat at home with her often.

only cook meat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:30:31 PM EDT
Eat hers and she might eat yours, I hope she just tastes it really
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:32:29 PM EDT
Start her with white fish like Mahi-Mahi of Tilapia. They aren't real strong on flavor and have enough texture for her to get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:35:02 PM EDT
Damn, she is your girlfriend.

Force the issue, and you might loose her.

Is it worth it over something as trivial as what food you eat?

...... for me, yes, it would be. If she was pro-PETA.

But that is for you to decide.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:36:13 PM EDT
walk away dude.
you won't win this one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 6:38:52 PM EDT by Sniper_Wolfe]
Tell her it doesn't count as eating meat if she spits.

Edit to say: I have little constructive to add. Don't force her to try/like meat, but tell her you expect to eat it and that she should be willing to be respectful/supportive of that. If she's just a vegan, that's fine. If she's one of those angry "MEAT IS MURDER!" vegans, well...I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like her parents just forced it on her to try to play the 'you're sheltered' angle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:37:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:
Damn, she is your girlfriend.

Force the issue, and you might loose her.

Is it worth it over something as trivial as what food you eat?

...... for me, yes, it would be. If she was pro-PETA.

But that is for you to decide.

how did i know someone like you would say something like that.

i think the title of the thread should speak for the seriousness of the post. i dont care. if i did, she wouldnt be my g/f
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:38:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
www.paleodiet.com/

+1

I'm fully convinced that that is the best "eating plan" for people.

Too bad sugar is so addictive.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:40:10 PM EDT
You won't.

And if you won't get her to eat meat, you won't get her to do a lot of things.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:43:37 PM EDT
i guess i should also mention that i was inquiring with her about if she ever had the urge to try it, since so many ppl eat it, etc. she said not really.

but then i asked if she ever planned on trying it in her life, and she said 'probably' - she's not against it. its not like she'd scream that cows are satan in disguise.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:44:20 PM EDT
I wouldn't push it.

It can be a real hassle to stay vegitarian in this society, so she may eventually grow tired of it.

Also eating much meat after being a vegitarian can be hard on the system. I used to date a V. who would have a big craving for Big Macs every few months. Then she would puke becuase her body had trouble digesting.

Eventually she gave up on being a vegitarian. She still won't eat hamburger, but she will eat recognizable meat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
I had a veg-head from birth friend.. Mom was a real hippie. One day he finally snapped and demanded a Whopper w/ cheese.

He spent the next 12 hours throwing up.

Apparently he wasn't quite ready for that. Start small lest you REALLY turn her off meat.

FWIW, my girlfriend won't eat red meat or (most) pork but she loooooves bacon. Shit man, everyone loves bacon. Anyone who tells you otherwise is from friggin Mars. That might be a good intro.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:49:29 PM EDT
I wouldn't push it. Cooked meat is bad for you anyways.

SGat12r5
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:51:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
FWIW, my girlfriend won't eat red meat or (most) pork but she loooooves bacon. Shit man, everyone loves bacon. Anyone who tells you otherwise is from friggin Mars. That might be a good intro.

I love meat but I hate bacon. Bacon is just a bunch of fat with a little meat on the side - I want meat, not fat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:54:00 PM EDT
Force her to eat meat and you won't get any pie.

I married into a vegetarian family (Seventh Day Adventists). Do not force her to eat meat unless she enjoys riding the porcelain pony with a terrible case of hershey squirts. Her digestive system will not be able to handle meat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:06 PM EDT
My question is how could you ever date someone who is a vegan?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:22 PM EDT
i was actually wondering about that. after 20 years of not eating meat, i was betting her system wasnt producing enough pepsin to digest meat properly. thats why i'd only give her a few pieces at first.

gotta take it slow and make it something that doesnt happen all the time. that makes them want it even more
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:56:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By soccermike7:
A girl i am currently dating is a vegetarian. Her parents switched to the green diet right after she was born, so she and her 2 siblings have grown up without ever having meat. Thus, she has absolutely no clue how to cook it either.

You just said it all, little brother...This probably ain't gonna work out. Her mother had better be so fine that you would jump on her now because she's exactly what your g/f is gonna look like in 25 years.

just my humble .02, but I wouldn't bet on anything long-term with this one...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:49 PM EDT
You must be from Mars because bacon is good!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:58 PM EDT
Next time you're out at a restaraunt order a fish dinner- something like ruffy or even salmon or tuna and ask her if she'd like to try it. I'm not talking fried fish either, go to a decent place and maybe get something with a pasta dish and steamed vegetables (something she'll recognize as having the meat complament the other food). Ask her if she'd like to try a bite, if not let it go. There will be other times.

She sounds like she's curious so given time I bet she'll try it. You can also go to Earthfare of one of the organic grocery stores and buy organic chicken and other meats. The residual antibiotics and hormones in meats is one of the big reasons many vegetarians don't eat meats. Like SS109 said though, the first time she eats beef or other heavy red meat she'll probably get a case of the shits.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:59:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:59:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:

I love meat but I hate bacon. Bacon is just a bunch of fat with a little meat on the side - I want meat, not fat.

Have you ever tried canadian bacon? It is pretty lean meat compared to the bacon you get in the diner.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:00:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:
You won't.

And if you won't get her to eat meat, you won't get her to do a lot of things.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:20:55 PM EDT
Does she know you spend time here. You might have bigger problems.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:24:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gaelic_Warrior:

Have you ever tried canadian bacon? It is pretty lean meat compared to the bacon you get in the diner.

No, I haven't. I'll see what Krogers/Wal-Mart has to offer, though.

The thing is, I despise fat on my meat. Sometimes I can stand a BLT. I cut every bit of fat off of my steak. I even try to get leaner hamburger if available, because most 80/20 hamburger seems really fatty to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:26:10 PM EDT

The thing is, I despise fat on my meat. Sometimes I can stand a BLT. I cut every bit of fat off of my steak. I even try to get leaner hamburger if available, because most 80/20 hamburger seems really fatty to me.

yeah, i prefer lean meat too. we always eat skinless chicken, cut the extra fat off before cooking, etc. one thing we've noticed is you cant go too lean for burgers; they get too dry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:28:11 PM EDT
Tell her she does not have to swallow at first.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:28:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

SGat12r5

Yeah, eat it raw, the way God intended!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:32:04 PM EDT
Start her off on some homemade deer jerky. It's all good after that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

SGat12r5

+1

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:41:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brentwal:

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

SGat12r5

+1

+1 i had had some raw vinison once it was the best damn meat i have ever had.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:47:30 PM EDT
From my experience, vegans are a bit on the fussy side. However, by now this should be a non-issue if the relationship is going anywhere.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:50:57 PM EDT

Good bacon from a butcher man.. No substitute. I can understand not liking what passes for bacon sometimes, but if you've had good bacon and disliked it..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:21:39 PM EDT
You might try baby food, it'd be easy to digest. As far as eating meat, her stomach's stuck at infancy, so treat it like one. Just tell her meat's not that bland, that the baby food is ment to be that way. Always refer to meat as a good thing. Meat and fish have proteins and enzymes that are good for the brain as well as the body....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:30:54 PM EDT
My girlfriend is a semi-vegetarian. Will eat some meat, but not a lot. Shuns burgers unless I really push her to eat it, and HATES seafood.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:35:16 PM EDT
Just tell her " You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!"
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:44:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 10:07:49 PM EDT by M4-CQBR]

Originally Posted By james4208:
Start her with white fish like Mahi-Mahi of Tilapia. They aren't real strong on flavor and have enough texture for her to get used to it.

Mahi Mahi & Tilapia . . . aren't these two different types of fish?

If anything, fish might be the best to start with. Trout is really light & good tasting.
Or take her out for Sushi, just stick with the tuna in a maki hand roll with cucumber or avocado. . .
Dead red meat will make her very sick if she has never eaten it before. That is fact. Like others here have already stated.

Good luck, and one last question ... Do you really care what she eats or doesn't eat? If so, why?
If you love her it shouldn't matter IMHO. Loving someone doesn't include asking them to change their life style for you.
And it doesn't turn out well 95% of the time. I speak from experience.
I may be assuming to much here though... girlfriend doesn't always mean love

Have fun in what ever you do.

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:12:23 PM EDT

Maybe it's because it's 4 hrs past my bedtime, but I found that very funny.

I now have a sig line.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:15:31 PM EDT
Is she Vegan like "I won't eat any animal products because I respect other species rights!!!" vegan?

Or just a "I won't eat meat because its icky" type?

If the former, RUN.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:07:52 PM EDT
wow, I thought this thread was about something else
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:15:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigB1129:
wow, I thought this thread was about something else

Yeah, when I read the title, the first thing I thought was "try foreplay".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:21:51 PM EDT
Put your wiener in a bun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:26:15 PM EDT
Chipotle sauce should do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:27:01 PM EDT
I dont know if its true, but i once heard that if you dont ever or stop eating red meat, your body will stop making an enzyme that helps to break it down. Therefore it will make you sick. This is just what I heard, so it may or may not be true.

IMO the best meat is deer meat
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:31:03 PM EDT

SGat12r5

Que?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 11:34:08 PM EDT by ChrisLe]
Trust me when i say you won't convince her otherwise. And if you do, you will regret the consequences of doing so. Especially if she's been brought up a veg. I know because I'm dating one......You need to ask yourself if you enjoy being with her the way she is now (Veg), or are you looking to convert her to the way you would prefer her to be. If its the former, you're good to go. If the latter, move along as the relationship is destined for failure....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top