Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2006 11:03:34 AM EST
anything new on the market that is worth reading?
maybe something in the vein of Robert Heinlein.

Looking for something that is fast exciting and will not insult my intelligence.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:06:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 11:09:56 AM EST by NME]
Doom series.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:07:55 AM EST
Baen books

check out their free library of EBooks
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:14:07 AM EST
Not recent, but ...

Pournelle-The Mercenary
Piper-Uller Uprising
Niven-The Mote in God's Eye
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:36:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:37:51 PM EST
Ender's Game is the greatest Scifi novel ever.

If you haven't read it you need to; it is one of the few books that is so good that it can bring tears to my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:39:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Beleg:

If you haven't read it you need to; it is one of the few books that is so good that it can bring tears to my eyes.

+87 Billion
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:39:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 3:39:51 PM EST by adair_usmc]
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, and the follow on books. (The Ultimate Hitchikers Guide has all the books in one). Best Sci-Fi books ever. Period.

Not new on the market though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:40:35 PM EST
The series of alien invasion books by John Ringo,also I have liked about everything I have ever read from Dean Koontz.A lot of his books have a scifi edge to them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:41:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 3:43:48 PM EST by rnewberry]

Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Baen books

Seconded. Read A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front by John Ringo. Do it now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:42:09 PM EST

Sounds familiar,who wrote it and what is it about
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:42:27 PM EST
I don't now if it's good but anything from him is fiction.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:45:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By imposter:
Not recent, but ...

Pournelle-The Mercenary
Piper-Uller Uprising
Niven-The Mote in God's Eye

The Mote is excellent

for some humor sci-fi try Pournelle and Niven's Inferno
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:46:09 PM EST
One of my favorite books..

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671676709/102-0141322-7100158?v=glance&n=283155

War in 2020 by Ralph Peters.

He did some crappy other books (notably Red Army; really didn't like that one...it was so vauge, it might or might not have been a book)

But, this one was a GREAT read.

Kinda old, but not dated.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:46:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By colklink:

Orsen Scott Card?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:51:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 3:52:53 PM EST by Beleg]

Originally Posted By RMac:

Originally Posted By colklink:

Orsen Scott Card?

Yup, Orson Scott Card. It's about a little kid who is a genius and is trained by the gov't to fight an alien invasion. But that's sorta like saying that Star Wars is about some kid trying to be a knight and use a laser sword. Or that Casablanca is about a guy who owns a bar during WWII.

IF YOU LIKE SCI-FI, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK.

This is coming from a guy who loves books so much that he became an English teacher. I have never met anyone who has not loved Ender's Game. Ender's Game is one of my top 5 books of all time, and I'm including great literature in there. It is an easy read, and it is amazingly good, on every level.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:52:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 3:53:30 PM EST by thehardmaster]
cryptonomicon

A classic every ARFcommer should read

ETA Enders game is indeed a phenomenal book.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:53:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By thehardmaster:
cryptonomicon

A classic every ARFcommer should read

I read Cryptonomicon two weeks ago, and I also agree that it is a spectacular read. Not really purely scifi, though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:05:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 4:08:27 PM EST by limaxray]
Armor by John Steakley. About a guy in powered armor and how he reacts to combat.

Dave Weber's Dahak series. First book is called Mutineer's Moon. A modern-day astronaut is sucked into the moon, which isn't really THE moon, but a spaceship whose crew mutineed 47,000 years earlier, landed on the planet--and went on to become the human race as we know it. Great series, three books in it so far and one more on the way.

Dave Weber and Johnny Rhingo co-wrote a series recently, can't remember the name off hand, but the books are March Upcountry, March to the Sea, and March to the Stars. Pampered prince and his bodyguard (a company of Imperial Marines) gets stranded on a waaaaaay backwards planet--they have to fight their way across the planet to get back home--not only does it have some great combat in it, it's also a good story about how a prima donna changes and becomes a worthwhile leader. (I remember reading somewhere that Weber is a retired infantry officer.)

Any of the Keith Laumer Bolo series.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:08:19 PM EST
Ender's Game!

Honestly, I could never visualize him as a kid. I always saw him as at least a 14 or 13 year old.

I really enjoyed reading that book.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:09:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:11:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:

Originally Posted By NME:
Doom series.

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/KNEEDEEPINTHEDEAD.jpg

A 4 book novelization of the game Doom.
Last two books in the series kinda suck.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:12:05 PM EST
Stranger in a Strange Land.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:12:25 PM EST
Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:16:27 PM EST
Lucifer's Hammer... great SHTF!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:17:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 4:18:09 PM EST by mousehunter]
I enjoyed ender, enjoyed Starship Trooper, and Stranger in a Strange Land too (religious satire - don't read if you are offended by stuff like that). Cryptonomicon was most excelent.

I also enjoyed some cyberpunk, but I think too of my all time favorites were Snow Crash (cyberpunk) and Ecology (makes fun of greenpeace a bit). Please forgive, but I forget the authors name momentarily.

If you have time to burn - read the entire Dune set - did them back to back after I was laid of from work once

--
forget the comments on Heilend - seems you already found his stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:22:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 5:22:18 PM EST by Sigifrith]
Dies the Fire. S. M. Stirling

Suddenly modern energy sources no longer work. People pick up the pieces.

Read some sample chapters here.
www.smstirling.com
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:23:15 PM EST
The Falkenberg's Legion series by Jerry Pournelle is good, so is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:24:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By rnewberry:

Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Baen books

Seconded. Read A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front by John Ringo. Do it now.

3rd... its like Starship Troopers... but with better effects...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:25:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 4:26:44 PM EST by TheSneak]

Originally Posted By mousehunter:

Cryptonomicon was most excelent.

I also enjoyed some cyberpunk, but I think too of my all time favorites were Snow Crash (cyberpunk) and Ecology (makes fun of greenpeace a bit). Please forgive, but I forget the authors name momentarily.

That would be Neal Stephenson. You may be thinking of Zodiac:An Ecological Thriller, not Ecology. It's about a guy driving a Zodiac boat around Boston harbor investigating toxic waste dumping. All of his books are good actually.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:26:22 PM EST

Doom series.

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/KNEEDEEPINTHEDEAD.jpg

A 4 book novelization of the game Doom.
Last two books in the series kinda suck.

+1-- but the FIRST two are pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:29:06 PM EST

anything new on the market that is worth reading?
maybe something in the vein of Robert Heinlein.

Looking for something that is fast exciting and will not insult my intelligence.

thanks

Incarnations of Immortality - I recommend the book ON A PALE HORSE (it's about death)
link 1
link 2
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:34:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By limaxray:
Armor by John Steakley. About a guy in powered armor and how he reacts to combat.

Best book....ever.

Where's that picture of the Simpson's comic book store guy when I need it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:40:17 PM EST
War of the worlds, better than any of the movies in my opinion, battles are neater and the aliens can be killed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:43:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 4:51:10 PM EST by MC_Man]

Originally Posted By bfieldburt:

Best book....ever.

Where's that picture of the Simpson's comic book store guy when I need it?

I agree 101%. Armor is my all-time favorite. Others mentioned as well (Ender's game, War in 2020, DOOM, Hithchiker's Guide, etc.)
Others are the Retief and Bolo series (Keith Laumer), Stainless Steel Rat series (Harry Harrison), Book of Swords series and Berserker series (Fred Saberhagen), Hammer's Slammers (David Drake), the list is endless.

Oh yeah, forgot the Afrikorps series by Bill Dolan.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:44:33 PM EST
Oh, also...The Stainless Steel Rat, by Harry Harrison...the whole series.

I'm so glad they haven't made a film about it...they'd fail miserably.

GREAT series.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:49:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sigifrith:

http://www.smstirling.com/

That book is a complete ripoff of John Ringo's book "There Will Be Dragons," right down to steam engines not working. Except it doesn't have any of the rationalization or suspension of disbelief that Ringo creates.

"There Will Be Dragons" is a pretty good book, though, and it's the first of a series that has three books in it so far with a fourth coming out this month. John Ringo may not be the best of writers, but he's very entertaining and he writes quickly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:53:10 PM EST
Armor by John Steakley very good military sci fi...

Armor is on the same level as --- Orson scott cards Enders Game

All of John Ringo's Posleen Invasion books are top notch... atliest i felt they were.

Deepness in the sky is "ok" written by some author, big book, lots of talk, but has some good action... and back story...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:56:40 PM EST
What? No Roger Zelanzy,,The Amber Chronicles..

Definatly,, Mote in God's Eye too

Issac Asimov's The Foundation Series

Phillip K Dick Scanner Darkly {slowdeath}/Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep{Blade Runner movie}

Fritz Lieber.
,,Pournelle
David Drake,,Hammers Slammers,,

Glen Cook,,,The Black Company
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:01:16 PM EST

+1 for Armor by John Steakley. I need to pick up another copy of it and read it again.

Also, +1 for Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series. It's lighter reading but still very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:03:11 PM EST
If you haven't read Dune, please do. Probably the best SciFi book ever written. Much better than Enders Game, which was very good.

Armor is very good.

Stay away from anything written by L Ron Hubbard. What a dipshit...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:05:16 PM EST
I very highly enjoy the Honor Harrington books. They make a lot more sense if read in order, and most are available free at the Baen Library link posted earlier.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:06:10 PM EST

Dave Weber's Dahak series. First book is called Mutineer's Moon. A modern-day astronaut is sucked into the moon, which isn't really THE moon, but a spaceship whose crew mutineed 47,000 years earlier, landed on the planet--and went on to become the human race as we know it. Great series, three books in it so far and one more on the way.

Dave Weber and Johnny Rhingo co-wrote a series recently, can't remember the name off hand, but the books are March Upcountry, March to the Sea, and March to the Stars. Pampered prince and his bodyguard (a company of Imperial Marines) gets stranded on a waaaaaay backwards planet--they have to fight their way across the planet to get back home--not only does it have some great combat in it, it's also a good story about how a prima donna changes and becomes a worthwhile leader. (I remember reading somewhere that Weber is a retired infantry officer.)

Any of the Keith Laumer Bolo series.

+1 on Armor. Joe Haldeman's The Forever War is good, too.

Hey limaxray, since you're a fellow Steakley fan, check this out (assuming you haven't already):

Armor 2

I hope he gets the damn thing finished someday...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:08:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 5:10:20 PM EST by Mauser101]

Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
Stranger in a Strange Land.

Ugh. I know it's a scifi classic, but the devolution of Heinlein's later books into major sex orgies just turned me off.

Pretty much everything posted above I'll second and I'll add Neuromancer by William Gibson.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:09:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Kylaer_:

http://www.smstirling.com/

That book is a complete ripoff of John Ringo's book "There Will Be Dragons," right down to steam engines not working. Except it doesn't have any of the rationalization or suspension of disbelief that Ringo creates.

"There Will Be Dragons" is a pretty good book, though, and it's the first of a series that has three books in it so far with a fourth coming out this month. John Ringo may not be the best of writers, but he's very entertaining and he writes quickly.

Now, now. Joh and Stirling talked about this. They cam eup with their ideas separately and at approximately the same time. Stirling is enough of an author that I would have to see video of him reading John's work and writing the book to believe he ripped it off.

Orson Scott Card did a great job with Ender's Game.

Follow it with Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Shadow series, finishing with Shadow of the Giant.

Try Orphans by Buettner (IIRC). I have only read the first of these.

David Drake, Redliners, Cross the Stars, Paying the Piper, etc.

David Weber, Honor Harrington series . . . but be prepared for some slow times with all the good action.

Also, March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars and We Few by Ringo and Weber.

Heh . . . read Ghost by Ringo. Just . . . know that it won a Romance novel award . It is actually a techno thriller (with S&M).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:13:24 PM EST
They're all good!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:17:51 PM EST
looks like i am going to start with Armor.

but lots of good info to keep me reading for a while

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:21:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By DigDug:
If you haven't read Dune, please do.

+1. IMHO it is the benchmark by which all other SciFi books are to be compared to...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:26:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ChrisLe:

+1. IMHO it is the benchmark by which all other SciFi books are to be compared to...

There are new PreQuels by Herberts son and another author.
They flow well & fill in the events leading up to the Universe of Dune.

Info here: www.dunenovels.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:33:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By ChrisLe:

There are new PreQuels by Herberts son and another author.
They flow well & fill in the events leading up to the Universe of Dune.

Info here: www.dunenovels.com/

Got em. They are pretty good.

Written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

Brian Herbert supposedly found the notes and rough story outline for the followup to Chapterhouse: Dune in an airport locker is father had. Sounds kinda cloak and dagger to me, but it would be interesting if he and Anderson would pen the sequel. I really liked Heretic of Dune and Chapterhouse set up some really good storylines.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:34:38 PM EST
Big ole +1 on anything by John Ringo. Just look at my avatar.

Viva La Bun Bun....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top