Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 8:30:57 AM EDT
Hi all,

Im trying to remove some heavy rust on some metal pieces.  I have heard that naval jelly works wonders.  How do you use that stuff?
Do i need to knock off the old rust.  Will it eat away the rust and just leave the metal?  DO i spray it, let it soak, wash it off and then scrap off the rust?  

Thanks for the help
lojack
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
RTFB! ;)

Read The Effing Bottle

the directions are right on the bottle,  i think its a let sit'n'soak job thou.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know any thing about naval jelly..... but I do know Kentucky jelly works very well;)
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Navel [b][i][red]jelly[/red][/i]?!?![/b]

The most I ever get is navel [i][b]lint[/i][/b]!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
You brush it on, let it set, then rinse it off. Take of any flaking rust with a brush first. [b]Don't[/b] get it on your skin or anything you don't want to damage the finish on!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Im trying to remove some heavy rust on some metal pieces.  I have heard that naval jelly works wonders.  How do you use that stuff?
Do i need to knock off the old rust.  Will it eat away the rust and just leave the metal?  DO i spray it, let it soak, wash it off and then scrap off the rust?  

Thanks for the help
lojack
View Quote

You apply it with a paint brush or sponge, and allow to sit 5-20 minites, depending upon severity of rust.  If there is lots of loose rust, it's a good idea to clean the pieces with a wire brush before applying the naval jelly.  Just be careful, as it contains phosophoric acid.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#7]
i've used this stuf and never thought it was very effective. maybe removing as much rust as possible first might make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful,  the stuff does not seem to do a good job on heavy rust,  but it'll certainly do the job on blueing, parkerizing, zinc, aluminum or chrome plate, and any paint job around.

If it's big enough,  just use a grinder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top