Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 5:38:58 PM EDT
I'll be going to the Detroit Auto Show this year, and might venture over to Windsor, CANADA after. There have been rumors that a passport will be required in 2006? True or not?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not...

I think...

That if you enter Canada from elseware (not the US) then you need a passport.  US Citizens from the USA just need voter reg card or whatever you've used for years...

????
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that's the plan as of right now, a passport will be required for Canada.  Merchants along the border are screaming over this and the assumed loss of business from the pain in a butt it will become
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yep, that's the plan as of right now, a passport will be required for Canada.  Merchants along the border are screaming over this and the assumed loss of business from the pain in a butt it will become

Plan for 1/1/06?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard it both ways. I live just north of detroit, and had a duzie of a time when I crossed last.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard it both ways. I live just north of detroit, and had a duzie of a time when I crossed last.

I had that experience a couple of years ago. Canadian border guy was none too happy that we only had driver's licenses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd thought both countries had passed similar measures a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I went Thanksgiving.

Osama lookin, Seattle Drivers Lic., Rental car from Ohio with New Jersey Plates.

I handed over my Birth Cert., Drivers Lic & rental Agreement, two seconds going to Canada.

Caught hell coming back. If it wasnt for the super secret something or another, I think I may have been detained.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If I reading this correctly, a passport won't be required until 2007.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I reading this correctly, a passport won't be required until 2007.

If that is correct, then I believe that you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Passports to go to Canada, and still no fucking southern fence.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll be going to the Detroit Auto Show this year, and might venture over to Windsor, CANADA after. There have been rumors that a passport will be required in 2006? True or not?

You will need a passport in 2007.

To cross back from Canada after the show, please have proof of US Citizenship.
This would be a:

US Passport
Copy of your Birth Certificate w/Photo ID like a driver's license
Copy of you Naturalization Certificate.

If you fail to have proof of your US Citizenship, you may be held up in secondary until you citizenship can be determined.
A driver's license or state ID card is not proof of citizenship.
Proof of citizenship falls to the traveler, It's not the border officer's job.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will need a passport in 2007.

To cross back from Canada after the show, please have proof of US Citizenship.
This would be a:

US Passport
Copy of your Birth Certificate w/Photo ID like a driver's license
Copy of you Naturalization Certificate.

If you fail to have proof of your US Citizenship, you may be held up in secondary until you citizenship can be determined.
A driver's license or state ID card is not proof of citizenship.
Proof of citizenship falls to the traveler, It's not the border officer's job.

I plan on making everyone prepare for this. Seems pretty silly to require this crap considering they let millions cross the southern border illegaly every year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, confirming the 2007 date.  I went to Canada to deer hunt this year and that's what I was told at the border crossing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, you will need a Pass Port in 07 and that will be fine, I have spent way too much time and money in Canada and the Lower 48.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

I think it's BS but whatever Homeland Security wants I guess.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plan for 1/1/07?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't need one in late 2004, it was 3 guys in a beat up car at like 12:00 am, the border guard barely even payed us any mind at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top