Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 2:17:18 PM EDT

i'm sure someone has asked this before, but i was thinking today...

AR15.com and its' various forums have inspired more then its' fair share of first time builders. after building my first AK (rivet, polish underfolder), and after doing quite a few AR's to this point, i've come to find that [when starting off] getting tools can be both expensive and time consuming.

why don't we have a "loaner tool" area on the EE, where builders can come to borrow tools they may need to do a build?

not only will this allow first-timers to get what they need to build without investing in (or building) tools they may use only once, but will also help get more people into building guns who might have been putting it off because they haven't bothered to buy tools.

i figure there are quite a few of us here, and our combined resources have to be considerable.

i have some basic AR tools (barrel wrench, stock wrench, upper receiver block), and a rivet-squisher for doing AK's that i'd be more-then-happy to loan out to other members for a while.

what say ye? good idea, bad idea?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What TBS said. Borrowed or loaned often means gone or broken. At the very least usually a pain in the ass to get back.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
+1.  Good idea, in a world of angels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is as good an idea as the Arfcom welfare fund.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea, but like others have mentioned, the logistics of it is kind of hard.  You could work it like auto parts stores do.  You put a deposit equal to the amount of the tool down.  When you return it, you get the deposit back.  Borrower pays shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I was known as the guy in the neighborhood with 'all the tools' in the garage.

I have loaned out decent wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. and many have never returned.

I am now known as the 'A$$hole who won't lend a tool to a neighbor'

I can see a guy not having some oddball tool, but no 'man' can have any excuse for no basic tools like wrenches, pliers, hammers, etc.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Experience says NO!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
in theory it's a GREAT idea.

in practice it won't work. i have come to learn that human beings in general can't be relied upon. Expect things to be broken and not replaced,lost, stolen, or simply not returned.

i paid for my tools, and local guys are more than welcome to use them, at MY house. No way i am shipping them around. I'd never see them again.

about sums it up
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree with all the Nay Sayers.
Been there, didn't get them back.

The deposit would be a bad idea as well. That is too close to renting. If you rent out a tool, you are responsible if the user injures himself. Requires insurance unless you want to be sued.

Lend it out if you are prepared to never see it again. Which is pretty much what happened with the drilling and bending jigs for making AK receivers that a generous member here developed a method for lending out.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
in theory it's a GREAT idea.

in practice it won't work. i have come to learn that human beings in general can't be relied upon. Expect things to be broken and not replaced,lost, stolen, or simply not returned.

i paid for my tools, and local guys are more than welcome to use them, at MY house. No way i am shipping them around. I'd never see them again.

It will work.  All you have to do is have the borrower transfer money worth 150% of the value of the tool + shipping to the owner of the tool.  When the borrower returns the tool, the owner sends the money back.  Piece of cake.  If the borrow breaks or never returns the tool, then the owner buys a new one, plus keeps a little extra for his trouble.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The deposit would be a bad idea as well. That is too close to renting. If you rent out a tool, you are responsible if the user injures himself. Requires insurance unless you want to be sued.

I swear I'm surprised lots of your ARFCOMERs ever leave the house without clearing it with a lawyer first.  The first reply to any thread on this site is usually, "They can sue you and you'll be broke for life!"

If you are offended by this please don't sue me for emotional hardship.  I know if you did file suit, you'd probably win and take my house and all my guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I swear I'm surprised lots of your ARFCOMERs ever leave the house without clearing it with a lawyer first.  The first reply to any thread on this site is usually, "They can sue you and you'll be broke for life!"

If you are offended by this please don't sue me for emotional hardship.  I know if you did file suit, you'd probably win and take my house and all my guns.

Just passing along advice my insurance man gave me. If I lend a tool, it is cool. If I rent a tool, liability issues crop up.

So unless you sell insurance, shut up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top