Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 5:57:57 AM EDT

my father has a German Mauser, K98? its the 8mm rifle, the basic field rifle they had during WW2

he got it from his ex father in law, i dont know if it is an actual GERMAN build, ive heard of captured factories being forced to build them in other countries...

anyways... its been sporterized, when my father bought it someone removed the stock rear sight and put on a rear peep sight, and a sporter stock.

how much might this rifle be worth? i know its fucked now because this has been done, but if i put it back to original could that raise the value? is it even going to be possible to find an original stock and rear sight?

ill try to get pics of it ASAP but he lives a bit of a drive from me.

any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe 150-200 in it's current state? The Russian captures go for about $250 nowadays, so I can't see it being any higher than that even if you did restore it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Without the original stock and rear sight, it won't be worth much in terms of dollars.

But, you could find suitable subs and get it back to a wartime configuration and have a great rifle to keep!

Ammo is cheap and easy to find.

Check out the Curio and Relics section of this site:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=14

and also Surplus Rifle:

www.surplusrifle.com/
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if they modified it in anyway to put on the new rear sight, you're fooked....

You will probably have to find a complete stock, handguard, upper and lower barrel bands, rear sight....

It will probably cost you at least $125 to $175 to buy the parts...and after that it still probably would only be worth $250 to $300 or so...

Mismatched parts really hurt the value of a 98k....if its been re-blued, its even worse.

It is usually difficult to re-convert a sporterized 98k into something worthwhile...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a sporter from a guy that was leaving for the Philippines.  Pretty nice rifle with a set trigger.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a sporter from a guy that was leaving for the Philippines.  Pretty nice rifle with a set trigger.

[crustyoldarfcommer] That's is an abomination! And you made the baby Jesus cry![/crustyoldarfcommer]

looks like a 40-50's era conversion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my father has a German Mauser, K98? its the 8mm rifle, the basic field rifle they had during WW2

he got it from his ex father in law, i dont know if it is an actual GERMAN build, ive heard of captured factories being forced to build them in other countries...

anyways... its been sporterized, when my father bought it someone removed the stock rear sight and put on a rear peep sight, and a sporter stock.

how much might this rifle be worth? i know its fucked now because this has been done, but if i put it back to original could that raise the value? is it even going to be possible to find an original stock and rear sight?

Post detailed images of the rifle, specifically of any waffencomps, swats or any markings that may be on the receiver. At the very least you have a fine rifle, at best it may have added value (significant) if there are certain other markings still in place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with what others here have said. Just shoot the damn thing and enjoy it. My brother has a German K98k passed down from our grandfather. It's a nice rifle, I prefer it over my Enfields.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe 150-200 in it's current state? The Russian captures go for about $250 nowadays, so I can't see it being any higher than that even if you did restore it.

The R.C. guns are a mix of parts and are not considered "collectable" guns.

Although sporterized, if he still has a lot of matching parts, it might be worth restoring it to original condition. It will be worth much more than $250.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep it and go all the way on the conversion. My uncle was a combat engineer during WW2 and after VE day was put on a detail to demill these guns by the truckload. He torch cut the barrels and mailed a footlocker full of actions to his cousin. His cousin was a machinist and was war critical in his civilian job. Cousin built many a sporter on these actions.

Do it right and it is still cool. One of the 50's sporters cousin did in 30-06 is in my safe right now.

Buy a Soviet Capture K98 for the history. Keep the sporter as a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy a case of 8mm from Aim surplus (while you still can) and take it to the range. It probably hasn't been there in a while. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sporterizing is the fastest way to turn a $500+ collectible bring-back rifle into a $150 bubba hack job.

Even if you replaced the sight & stock, it is no longer original.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#13]
It's designated to shooter status forever now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top