Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/14/2006 7:22:00 PM EDT
My cousin who was probably my best friend growing up, died in a head-on collision Wed. in Pennsylvania.  It is an awful thing to lose a friend and family member like this.  He was 26 and on his way home to pick up his daughter.  Although I haven't seen him in 8 years,  I am incredibly sad and melencholy.  I am a Christian and believe in Heaven.  But although I believe in Heaven, I am wondering where my cousin is at this very moment.  If he's looking down upon us, or if it's just a nothingness.  I've been online reading stories of near-death experiences and the sorts and it sure would be a wonderful thing for the soul to live on.  That is all I can do is pray and hope.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
hookers n blow for the rest of eternity, maaaan

(at least that's what I'm looking forward to)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:24:20 PM EDT
When I die I will come back here and post and tell you all about it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:25:22 PM EDT
My condolences.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:26:54 PM EDT
Sorry for your loss...

Hookers and Blow sound good though.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 8:19:03 PM EDT by m-dc]
That is the big question, faith is just that , faith.

I wish you and your family the best. These kind of losses (sudden/unexpected) seem to be the hardest ones to come to terms with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:39:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By A2sights:
My cousin who was probably my best friend growing up, died in a head-on collision Wed. in Pennsylvania.  It is an awful thing to lose a friend and family member like this.  He was 26 and on his way home to pick up his daughter.  Although I haven't seen him in 8 years,  I am incredibly sad and melencholy.  I am a Christian and believe in Heaven.  But although I believe in Heaven, I am wondering where my cousin is at this very moment.  If he's looking down upon us, or if it's just a nothingness.  I've been online reading stories of near-death experiences and the sorts and it sure would be a wonderful thing for the soul to live on.  That is all I can do is pray and hope.

I don't know if you are Catholic or Protestant or some other Christian denomination. I'll give you my answer though.
Your cousin has left his body on earth and is now only a soul. Whether he is heaven or not is not for me to say or even speculate. God is the final judge of whether a person goes to heaven or not.

If you are Catholic, they believe there's a waiting zone, Pergatory? I'm not Catholic and don't support that belief, but if you are, talk to your priest for answers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:44:00 PM EDT
Sorry to hear it.  My own personal belief is that people close to you that pass on, are always a part of you.  I don't know anything about the heaven/hell aspects, but I believe they're always with you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:50:24 PM EDT
My personal belief?

Death is not the end. Death is really a beginning—another step forward in Heavenly Father’s plan for His children.

Someday, like everyone else, your life on Earth will end and your physical body will die. But your spirit will not die. At the time of physical death, your spirit will go to the spirit world, where you will continue to learn and progress.

Death is a necessary step in your progression, just as your birth was. Sometime after your death, your spirit and your body will be reunited—never to be separated again. This is called resurrection, and it was made possible by the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:58:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Friendly_Sponge:
My personal belief?

Death is not the end. Death is really a beginning—another step forward in Heavenly Father’s plan for His children.

Someday, like everyone else, your life on Earth will end and your physical body will die. But your spirit will not die. At the time of physical death, your spirit will go to the spirit world, where you will continue to learn and progress.

Death is a necessary step in your progression, just as your birth was. Sometime after your death, your spirit and your body will be reunited—never to be separated again. This is called resurrection, and it was made possible by the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Well put.

Those are my beliefs as well.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ranger_SXT:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/ranger_sxt/appendage9vr.jpg

WTF, over?   Is that some sick attempt at humor?  

Sorry for your loss.  It's a question we would all like to know, and will all find the answer to some day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:22:01 PM EDT
Sorry for your loss.

My opinion is that the dead are simply dead, as the Bible states "for the dead know nothing."  They are not aware of the passage of time, and when resurrected it will seem to them as though it happened instantly.

The Bible says we became living souls (nephesh), not have living souls. The same word applies to animals as well, and simply means a living, flesh and blood being. Nobody goes to Heaven when they die, but only after the resurrection and Judgement Day. If we were judged at death, there'd be nobody to judge on Judgement Day.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:32:00 PM EDT

My personal belief?

Well said.

There can't be a love greater than that of one who would give up their life to save yours.

C.H.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 9:57:21 PM EDT by slash-5]
I, too am sorry for your loss.

Here are my thoughts on the subject---they are just that-thoughts, please don’t mistake them for doctrine.  I am not finished with them yet.

1. The Old Testament refers to the place that one goes to after death as “Sheol”.  Christian tradition translates this as “Hell” a lot, but that is not entirely true as the righteous go there as well as the wicked. (Ps. 16:10; 30:3; 49:15; 86:13, etc.)
2. It isn’t until the New Testament that we begin to see the clearly defined concepts of heaven and Hell as we understand them.
3. Man is special.  He is the only creature that encompasses all the attributes of all of God’s creation which can be broken down as such:
• Finite, Inanimate, Physical, Non-Spiritual, and Non-Creative Things (rocks, etc.)
• Finite, Inanimate, Physical, Non-Spiritual, and Creative Things (trees, etc.)
• Finite, Animate, Physical, Non-Spiritual, and Creative Things (animals)
• Finite, Animate, Physical, Spiritual, and Creative Things (man)
• Finite, Animate, Non-Physical, Spiritual, and Non-Creative Things (angels, etc.)
• Infinite, Animate, Non-Physical, Spiritual, and Creative Thing (God):

4. Man is bound by time.  God is not.  He exists presently and equally in the past, present and future.
5. Perhaps, when man dies and the eternal part of him (in one direction, namely the soul) leaves the finite part of hi (the body—which is the part bound by time), he is “ushered” outside of the space/time continuum.
6. If a man is outside of space/time then he has no understanding and time does not exist.  The Bible supports this saying he “knows nothing”.
7. We see a judgment day where it appears that we are judged en masse.  In other words, we are (as a group) brought back into space and time (and given a New Body)
8. Etc.

Tradition says “absent from the body is to be present with Christ”.  I don’t know, but I suspect that a portion of this doctrine comes from the words of Jesus as spoken to the thief on the cross.  We commonly think of it this way: “Surely I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”  But… what if we have the comma in the wrong place and the actual quote is: “Surely I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise.”?

To the person who died the timeline would look like this:  Death, Resurrection, Judgment, Heaven, etc.  To them no time will seem to have passed because they are no longer bound by time.

On a related note, I ran this theory by my friend with serious theological training and a degree in philosophy.  He let me go on and on, and just nodded, etc.  I found out later that all of these thoughts are not new and are actually very old, having started with Thomas Aquaintus.  Who knew?

The important thing according to the Bible is the belief in Jesus Christ...everything else is just so much window dressing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:04:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:12:58 PM EDT
Similar thread from a week ago.

Not calling dupe (I hate the dupe police!), just showing you another thread you might be interested in.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=451766
Top Top