Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 1:49:37 PM EDT
I have come to the conclusion that I hate my current cable company (Cox) and I hope the CEO and all major shareholders get leprosy and die slowly.  I used to pay $140 a month with time warner before I moved here and I got every damn thing there was, including internet, a DVR reciever and two additional recievers.  now I am paying $180 for basic cable, internet, the same amount of receivers, and no movie or digital channels.  in three months my equipment has malfunctioned twice and had to be returned, and my service always goes out.

apparantly this POS company is the only cable company servicing my area, so i am looking for other options.  how good is dish or direct TV?  I only use it for the internet really, but the wife and kids use the cable.  anyone have any thoughts on satellite service?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
dont get direct, Its a trap!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not a roof mounted antenna?
Just get internet, and be done with pay-for TV.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have come to the conclusion that I hate my current cable company (Cox) and I hope the CEO and all major shareholders get leprosy and die slowly.  I used to pay $140 a month with time warner before I moved here and I got every damn thing there was, including internet, a DVR reciever and two additional recievers.  now I am paying $180 for basic cable, internet, the same amount of receivers, and no movie or digital channels.  in three months my equipment has malfunctioned twice and had to be returned, and my service always goes out.

apparantly this POS company is the only cable company servicing my area, so i am looking for other options.  how good is dish or direct TV?  I only use it for the internet really, but the wife and kids use the cable.  anyone have any thoughts on satellite service?

Call them and tell them what you are considering.. Find out some competitors pricing and see if they would consider matching or at least get you closer to what you want.. Make sure whatever discounts you get are for at least a year..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
i work for a cable company and whatever you do..DONT GET DIRECT TV!!!! So many complaints and people are always leaving them.....YOu should have other options etc.....Good luck
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Had Dish network for almost 10 years.
Got sick of their feud with my local ABC affiliate and switched to DirecTV this spring.
No complaints, and the HD is nice, along with the DVR

DO NOT get a dish without HD and DVR!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
check if you can get at&t u-verse in your area
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
directv fucking sucks. i have tw and get much better service than my fiancee who has directv. her whole family has it as well and they hate it. shitty signal all the time and freezes up half the time. hell, most of the time we have movie night its my place bc hers is FAIL all the way
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, just guessing here but Cox=Vegas? If it's Vegas, all the local stations are on Black Mountain. At any rate, you can get local stations, then network your computer to an extender (got Xbox for example?) and watch Netflix streaming, Hulu and a bunch more. More video content than you can shake a stick at. I took my cable bill from $155 bucks a month to $53 bucks a month (H.S. Internet and Netflix subscription.)

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Satellite internet huffs the stanky ass gas of the devil.

Fuck that stuff running.  You think you've got problems now??
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
check if you can get at&t u-verse in your area

+1  A friend of mine just switched from cable and he loves it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had directv since 96 and have no problems.

The only time I lose signal is during the most sever downpours.

For those that lose signal all the time GET YOUR DISH AIMED.

I have the HD DVR and it rocks (free upgrade due to Iam going to dish network if you don't)

The Sportsman Channel and Thursday night shooting is great (dish does not have this channel)

NFL TICKET.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have had directv since 96 and have no problems.

The only time I lose signal is during the most sever downpours.

For those that lose signal all the time GET YOUR DISH AIMED.

I have the HD DVR and it rocks (free upgrade due to Iam going to dish network if you don't)

The Sportsman Channel and Thursday night shooting is great (dish does not have this channel)

NFL TICKET.

This except I don't have NFL TICKET, I'm thinking about it though.

Sully.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had a horrendous experience with Directv.  They replaced a receiver that went bad (instead of fixing it) and tried to say that caused another 2 year contract.  They never explained that to me and we didnt sign.  I disputed, and they sent me to collections.

I was a customer for like 7 years.

Fuck you Directv.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had Direct TV since Sept 07. I cannot imagine life without it now. I have one HD receiver, and one HD-DVR. I love it.
My local cable is more expensive for just the basic channels. For the same price I get about 150 channels more.  I will
never, never go back to cable again. BTW, I was with Verizon, so I got the total package, Direct TV, Local, Long distance
phone, DSL, and Cell phone. I saved a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had Direct TV for 8 years now, no problems whatsoever.

Moved to this new house 3.5 years ago, they installed a new dish,ran the lines and upgraded the box, no charge.

I have no problem at all with them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Stay away from Comcast if they are in your area. I recently shut off my cable for TV programming and kept my Cable internet. My bill will go from $45.95 to $57.00. They claim they were giving me a discount for having a basica TV and internet package.

I'm searching for a new ISP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Feeling bitchy about your cable?

You'll just love Dish where it's affected by wind, rain, snow, sun outages twice a year,

And don't bitch about rising prices. More often than not (this means almost always), this is due to programmer costs. Programmers sell the cable shows and movies to the MSOs (Multiple System Operators). Typically, the programmers push for a double-digit price increase per customer. They don't always get it, but at the same time, do you see annual price increases that are in the double-digits?

Been bitching lately about the rising price of gas? How about groceries? Ammo? Is there anything that you don't find to bitch about?

Seriously, if you can't handle paying that much for cable, you shouldn't be purchasing cable.

Learn to read a book.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
DIRECT tv ftw!

HD rocks, great PC style featues, finding shows, recording ETC.

5 NASCAR chanels, Speed HD, and who can forget personal defence TV.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stay away from Comcast if they are in your area. I recently shut off my cable for TV programming and kept my Cable internet. My bill will go from $45.95 to $57.00. They claim they were giving me a discount for having a basica TV and internet package.

Yeah, I think most of them are like that. "Bundling" is the new way to market.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You'll just love Dish where it's affected by wind, rain, snow, sun outages twice a year,

And don't bitch about rising prices. More often than not (this means almost always), this is due to programmer costs. Programmers sell the cable shows and movies to the MSOs (Multiple System Operators). Typically, the programmers push for a double-digit price increase per customer. They don't always get it, but at the same time, do you see annual price increases that are in the double-digits?

Been bitching lately about the rising price of gas? How about groceries? Ammo? Is there anything that you don't find to bitch about?

Seriously, if you can't handle paying that much for cable, you shouldn't be purchasing cable.

Learn to read a book.

So, which cable company do you work for?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Dishnetwork for 10 years or so.  Love it.  Would buy again. Great service. A++
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#22]
had Dousche network for about 10 years.
i PAID to purchase my equipment- NONE was free
I kindly asked them to give me a HD receiver- they said no- several times of asking.
I reminded them they had NEVER given me anything- I think i paid to have the dish put on too. (this was a long time ago)
They said I couls BUY a HD receiver for like 350 and pay them 5 buck a month to lease it....wtf
I told them to lick my sweaty cheesy, ball sack and to cancel...now.
of course, got put off to another operator to try to keep me- they offered all  kinds of stuff...
Told em to fuck a rockpile with a snake in it.

got comcast...they suck...but they had a awesome starter deal
had it for 12 months then one day my bill doubled
called em, told them i want my previous deal back
they gave it to me for 6 more months then it doubled again
TOld them to lick my pasty shit stained ass crack
(and to cancel)

been on local over-air chanels since...

will contemlate dish or direct tv this fall.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to read a book.

Both.

But go ahead, get your advice from someone who knows nothing about the industry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had DTV for about 10 years now.

I have NEVER lost the signal due to rain.
I live in fucking Washington about a mile from the Puget Sound.
Guess what, it rains in Washington.
I have never lost the signal due to wind.
I do lose the signal when the snow starts to really collect on the dish - I go outside and sweep the snow off the dish and arm.
When the power goes out I start the generator and plug in the DTV receiver and TV to the generator powered outlet and I can watch TV.

Comcast is the cable provider and they suck goat balls smothered in goat shit.
When the power goes out so does the cable.

I like DTV, but I would imagine that Dish is on par with DTV.

Fuck cable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i work for a cable company and whatever you do..DONT GET DIRECT TV!!!! So many complaints and people are always leaving them.....YOu should have other options etc.....Good luck

Lol, I switched from Directv to Bright House, wow it was really really bad!!!  I called Directv back two days later and asked them to add my service back.  Cable sucks....!!!

Edit:  I don't know about contracts I buy all of my receivers outright so it's not an issue.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to read a book.

Both.

But go ahead, get your advice from someone who knows nothing about the industry.

Dude, I didn't bitch and complain, I left. Fuck the little games you play. Fuck sending me a letter saying "you need to call us again to get the best deal" and when I do 2 months later you double my bill. I left cable, hope you all rot. I looked into it and networked my t.v. with my computer, I watch more video than I ever could or did at any time that I want to.

I'll be glad when the new era of information is distributed via numerous providers, much like cell phone service is. When you allow free market, suddenly the customer has choices and service and price get better. Cable shows the same tired movies over and over again in a loop. PLUS they make you watch commercials! Talk about insult to injury.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Once Verizon finally got rid of the penalty fees for Naked DSL (no longer required to have a landline with calling plan), I dropped all kinds of stuff.
Cable Company here has insane fee's for stand alone cable internet  (minus the TV package)  I told them to go take a hike.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Comcast is the cable provider and they suck goat balls smothered in goat shit.
When the power goes out so does the cable.

Absolutely correct.  I list in a downtown area near Seattle, and I ordered Comcast in April 2007.  I'm still on a waiting list, and I do not have cable yet.  Comcast is a joke, but somehow they continue to maintain their government-protected monopoly in the area.

As to the power comment, of course your cable goes out when the power goes out.  Typically they just steal power where ever they can from their customers.  In the building where I live they put a huge rack of equipment in to connect to houses a few blocks away and connected it to the building's power.  The COA is threatening to sue Comcast over the power bill.z
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I am reading all the replies...wife wants some sort of cable/satellite and since she is getting a job as a nurse for a second income I think we can splurge now
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Learn to read a book.

who the fuck said I cant handle paying that much for my cable?  not wanting to is something completely different.  I left my last duty station three months ago, and was paying $40 less and had 300 more channels, with better customer service and equipment.  so the cable companies' overhead costs must have skyrocketed in the two hours it took me to drive to my new house and I suppose I should just accept shitty and overpriced service because you say so.

I have had cable/internet for about 12 years via around 4 different companies.  I am fairly certain I don't need an expert in the field to tell me that the company I am with now is worthless and not worth my time and money.   what exactly have I been "bitching about" prior to this that makes you feel the urge to spew that utter bullshit?  

speaking of learning to read, you might want to start doing that to threads before acting like an elitist know-it-all, as if a cable company employee acting elitist isn't ridiculous enough.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a Dish Bundle pack. High speed int.,landline, Sat T.V. Honest to God I can't read the bill except, the you owe 168.00.

My wife handles this and pay's it out of her account. I watch very little T.V. and only use the phone about 30 minutes a month, about a 180 of the wife
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had Dish network for almost 10 years.
Got sick of their feud with my local ABC affiliate and switched to DirecTV this spring.
No complaints, and the HD is nice, along with the DVR

DO NOT get a dish without HD and DVR!

Didn't know there were good enough shows on TV these days to require HD
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#33]
FiOS
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to read a book.

Both.

Dude, I didn't bitch and complain, I left. Fuck the little games you play. Fuck sending me a letter saying "you need to call us again to get the best deal" and when I do 2 months later you double my bill. I left cable, hope you all rot. I looked into it and networked my t.v. with my computer, I watch more video than I ever could or did at any time that I want to.

I'll be glad when the new era of information is distributed via numerous providers, much like cell phone service is. When you allow free market, suddenly the customer has choices and service and price get better. Cable shows the same tired movies over and over again in a loop. PLUS they make you watch commercials! Talk about insult to injury.

I don't do any of the above.

Information is already provided via numerous providers. Cable programming and internet services are provided by competing companies. Several providers of satellite service, plus in some cases, multiple cable providers. You sound like a fourth grader who wants it all free. You have to pay someone for it. The more competitors, the better. If you don't like the price, you can move on. It appears that you've learned that much so far.

Programming is not decided by the cable or dish companies. The lineups are made by the providers such as Starz, HBO and others. Swap providers all you want, you'll still end up getting pretty much the same shows in just about the same order.

Try re-working your post to make it intelligible. Bonus points if you can manage a post without using expletives.

Even better: learn how to read a book. I'd recommend starting with Ayn Rand's, Atlas Shrugged.

Oh, we don't want to pull a ligament in your brain. Try Dr. Seuss', Red Hat, Blue Hat
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once Verizon finally got rid of the penalty fees for Naked DSL (no longer required to have a landline with calling plan), I dropped all kinds of stuff.
Cable Company here has insane fee's for stand alone cable internet  (minus the TV package)  I told them to go take a hike.

I'm not sure what my other oprions are at the moment.... I don't feel like spending $62 for Comcast high speed internet. I wished Time Warner was still around because they charged $30 for internet alone.

This is what stinks about cable companies buying out other ones. They are eliminating the competition so they can ass rape the consumer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had Directv for 4 years and I have been very happy with the service. Way better than cable IMO.  They even give free stuff sometimes....I got 12 PPV movies for free!!!!! The service is also much more reliable than I ever expected.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have come to the conclusion that I hate my current cable company (Cox) and I hope the CEO and all major shareholders get leprosy and die slowly.

so i am looking for other options.  how good is dish or direct TV?  anyone have any thoughts on satellite service?

You think you hate your cable company? Just wait till you try Satellite! (either one)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top