Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 10:54:40 AM EDT
I love my new RRA/DPMS M4gery.It's got lots of neat things on it that make it stand out on the range against the other AR's I see there,but it does not have a chrome-lined barrel or chamber.The thing is very accurate,I was able to hit a quarter at 25 yards.Anyhow,I was wondering why alot of you dudes frown on these non-chrome lined guns.As far as I know,the military uses chrome lined chambers/barrels because they have guys doing full-auto,in humid jungles,salty deserts,and guys running through mud,and dumping their M4's into salt water and stuff,and the chrome lined stuff is there because guys in combat might not have time to clean the thing after landing on the beach.Now...even in a SHTF situation,when do we plan on doing amphibious assaults and digging into hot humid jungle areas,without doing maintenance? it seems alot of you guys just think non chrome stuff is unrealiable shit.PLease do NOT tell me your idea of a SHTF scenario has you doing constant gunfire,under constant heavily armed attack,in salt water,and you connot even stop for 10 minutes to do a quick,somewhat half-assed but needed cleaning with CLP and Hoppes #9.I figure in a SHTF situation (if a really bad one ever happens) you will have times when absolutely NOTHING is happening,which will probably be quite alot of time,so clean your weapon.Besides ARs,most other guns are not all  chromed up,and they are doing fine,even today with care,and if you can't care for it,what's a chrome lined barrel gonna do? I'm just venting.Feel free to flame me.

"ammo.The currency of the new milennium."
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I won't flame you, but I will give you my 2¢.

If I were to get rust on the outside of my gun, I might be a bit concerned, but a little elbow grease and a little CLP, and everything is fine.

Now, if I were to get rust in the bore, I would probably freak out, and my accuracy might even suffer.

A little extra protection goes a long way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It's just like having a car that will go 160 mph.  You may not need it but it's nice it know it's there!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If it ant broke dont fix it K.I.S.S.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Not going to be running around in the jungle in a shtf type scenario huh? Ever been to Missouri in Agaust? Or how about Georgia, Louisiana, or Mississippi? To be honest with you it's humid enough here in Missouri year round that I put a decent coat of gun grease on the outside of my guns every so often or they'll start showing signs of rust. And don't forget that when we're talking about chrome lined barrels, that also means a chrome lined bore which increases reliabilty, an absolute must in a shtf scenario. And I seem to remember seeing or reading somewher that one of the design problems of the original jamomatic M-16's was the lack of chrome lined bores.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Seamusmcoi,I dunno if you looked,but I live in Florida.If you have been here before,or if you ask someone who has been here,it's incredibly hot and humid,more so then in the states you mentioned.In summer,it gets around 90-100 degrees,and the humidity is through the roof,you have no idea until you've experienced it,it's really not nice.I go on hikes through wetlands by my house,and it's mucky.Fortunately I have not had problems with rust like you have mentioned with your weapons.Take a visit here,before you mention "humid and hot"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top