Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2006 10:24:37 AM EDT

air in the line? shoes worn out? man I hate messing with drum brakes. 1975 dodge 3/4 ton with huge rear drums.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Blinker fluid is low.. Just top it off and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
air in the line? shoes worn out? man I hate messing with drum brakes. 1975 dodge 3/4 ton with huge rear drums.

Most likely a leaking wheel cylinder. Pull the wheel and drum. If you see any fluid trail it's replacement time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
More than likely a leaking wheel cylinder,or possibly an axle seal.

Time to open her up and take a look.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
You have a Zombie Gremlin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
We had a 1998 Ford F150 that used to do that pretty often.  We didn't drive it often since the power steering and AC didn't work in it despite repeated repair attempts so it would sit two or more weeks between times it was driven.  Our mechanic said it was rust in the drum that was causing the pad to grab.  It happened more often on one side than the other.  After stopping hard a few times the problem always went away.  We just never drove it hard enough or often enough to get rid of the surface rust.  If you don't drive it often it could be something simple like that.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Blinker fluid huh? Is that on the same isle as headlight fluid?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]
wheel cylinder
almost gauranteed, esp since it's only one wheel
take off the tire, take off the drum and take a look
probably completely stuck.
Drum brakes are great

With the right tools
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No! Do NOT interchange blinker fluid and headlight fluid. This is tantamount to dividing by zero. Oh, shi-
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No! Do NOT interchange blinker fluid and headlight fluid. This is tantamount to dividing by zero. Oh, shi-

Whatever you do, DO NOT put blinker fluid in your muffler bearings.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
What condition are the rubber flex lines? When you loosen the bleeder valve does fluid come out? Does fluid come out when the brakes are depressed w/ valve cracked open? If none comes out or a very little, could be bad flex line. I have had both front lines on my vehicle go bad which caused the brake caliper (not drums) to lock closed and get super hot during travel. Very pain in the arse to replace on old vehicles.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
possible problems include rusty, worn brake shoes/ or backer. leaking brake fluid or axle. Seized wheel bearing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What condition are the rubber flex lines? When you loosen the bleeder valve does fluid come out? Does fluid come out when the brakes are depressed w/ valve cracked open? If none comes out or a very little, could be bad flex line. I have had both front lines on my vehicle go bad which caused the brake caliper (not drums) to lock closed and get super hot during travel. Very pain in the arse to replace on old vehicles.

Mark

I'm a service tech. and this guy is on the right track. Failure mode on flex lines is to "close off".

Also, check that the shoes arent rusted on to the drum or a sezied park brake cable. If the brakes are grabby it'll be the axle seals leaking on the shoe/drum. If the brake is locked on solid, it'll be the aformentioned.

Either way it'll be an easy diagnoses for a tech.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]

thanks for the replies yall. I got the thing apart! wow I had to take the axle out and everything to get the drum off! The old man next door is a old mechanic. I doubt I would have got it apart without him. Its the inner seal in there is leaking axle fluid all over the inside of the brakes. plus the shoes are almost gone too. I'm gonna get new seals and shoes tomorrow 15 bucks for the shoes and 4 for the seal. thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top