Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/17/2012 5:32:43 AM EDT
i was a teamster. i voted to accept the consessionary contract knowing that this job with the cuts would be better than no job. if the economics didnt work for me i would look elsewhere. i have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks but as far as i know the teamsters were not honoring the bakers line. i know all the teamster drivers and teamsters that worked in the garagein my area were crossing the line and going to work..there were roughly 6000 workers represented by the bakers union. over 7000 teamsters. some machinists and various other unions. then all of the office and other non union employees totaling 18,500. 1/3 of the company workforce fucked me and everyone else. i would have went into the production area and did the bakers job while them assholes stood outside in the cold. i started there when i was a kid and loved my job. sad to see it end. i just wish some people would use their fucking head sometimes. i was pretty neutral about unions but today have a pretty bitter taste in my mouth for them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Unions.  Gotta love 'em!  

Not blaming you, OP, but whether or not you wanted it, the unions fucked you.  Unions are antiquated and should go the way of the do-do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Congradufuckinglations.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel bad for the hard working guys who could do the math and just wanted to keep their job.  Sounds like you were one of them.

Fuck unions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear this.

Keep you head up and look for something else. Hopefully you'll find a better gig soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel for you, how is the Teamsters union reacting to the bakers union?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Should have enacted a vote to disband the Union last year when the talks started. Sorry about your job, you'll find something better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I feel bad for the hard working guys who could do the math and just wanted to keep their job.  Sounds like you were one of them.

Fuck unions.

Yep.

This is one of the main reasons I've turned down union-only jobs in the past.

Sorry to hear that OP, I hope you find something soon.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

its going to be a blame game im sure
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
In this market, the goal is to keep your job.  Some don't understand this

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Look for the union label.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Best of luck to the OP.

Another lesson in why labor unions suck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Never be a part of union scum.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Should have enacted a vote to disband the Union last year when the talks started. Sorry about your job, you'll find something better.

id say better than 90% of the teamster workers were the  the type that always thought the company owed them something and the union was gonna get it for them. never would have passed. if this was a right to work state i would have been out long ago. water under the bridge. when the contract ammendments were coming up for a vote and you hear some of these idiots talking about fuck this place shut it down. one guy talking about how he will loose everything in 2 months but shut it down anyways because we cant let them keep taking. i asked him why he doesnt just look for something else and leave. his answer is that he has to many years. but he is willing to give the years up to shut down the company. i dont understand that way of thinking.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
A job with lower pay OR no job with no pay.

So tell me who the Unions are looking after? In this economy I know of a few companies that went with the option of lowering benefits and salaries instead of laying off people who need a job.

Sure people aren't happy with it but it sure as hell beats a pink slip.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In this market, the goal is to keep your job.  Some don't understand this  

No shit.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear OP. I hope you find a new job swiftly. It sucks that there are guys like you that try to do everything the right, rational way, and you still get fucked over due to the stupidity of other people.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I am really sorry to hear that.  I hope you find something soon.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunate for many on a personal level, and wish you all the best securing new employment.

Another fine example of the unions - too bad the members just do not learn from history.  Remember Eastern Airlines, management did not blink.

The bonus here, fewer dollars going to the Democratic Party from union dues.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So tell me who the Unions are looking after? In this economy I know of a few companies that went with the option of lowering benefits and salaries instead of laying off people who need a job.

Or now collect 2 yrs unemployment?  18,000 more on the government teat. (They paid in, I know, but it's more getting into the system.)

ETA: Sucks that OP gets sucked into the mix though.  Good luck OP-wish you the best in finding new employment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i was a teamster. i voted to accept the consessionary contract knowing that this job with the cuts would be better than no job. if the economics didnt work for me i would look elsewhere. i have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks but as far as i know the teamsters were not honoring the bakers line. i know all the teamster drivers and teamsters that worked in the garagein my area were crossing the line and going to work..there were roughly 6000 workers represented by the bakers union. over 7000 teamsters. some machinists and various other unions. then all of the office and other non union employees totaling 18,500. 1/3 of the company workforce fucked me and everyone else. i would have went into the production area and did the bakers job while them assholes stood outside in the cold. i started there when i was a kid and loved my job. sad to see it end. i just wish some people would use their fucking head sometimes.i was pretty neutral about unions but today have a pretty bitter taste in my mouth for them.

Harsh learning experiences usually aren't pleasant.

I'm sorry you got fucked.  It sounds like you are a hard worker and that will get you another job.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Woo-Hoo!  Three-day weekend!

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#23]
You sound like a hard worker with a good attitude OP.  Your work ethic will be rewarded.  Just hang in there-this is just a temporary setback for you.

Is there a brewery nearby that you could apply at?  I always thought that would be kind of a cool job
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

id say better than 90% of the teamster workers were the the type that always thought the company owed them something and the union was gonna get it for them. never would have passed. if this was a right to work state i would have been out long ago. water under the bridge. when the contract ammendments were coming up for a vote and you hear some of these idiots talking about fuck this place shut it down. one guy talking about how he will loose everything in 2 months but shut it down anyways because we cant let them keep taking. i asked him why he doesnt just look for something else and leave. his answer is that he has to many years. but he is willing to give the years up to shut down the company. i dont understand that way of thinking.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm glad they didn't cave to the unions
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry you lost your job. I was union for 7 years....we got sold out by the union. The company (50,000 union members) wanted to eliminate the technician workforce and started layoffs, even though we had a "no lay-off" clause. Instead of fighting to protect us, the union worked out a deal to bring back retirees on a "week by week" basis to honor contractual obligations with customers while they continued layoffs. The union organized a scab workforce, using their own retired union members, to help eliminate the union. Dues paying union-busters! Fuck the IBEW and CWA!!!!

They tried to change the surplus to let some of us stay, they just picked up a big job the Federal Reserve and needed us for another six months. Only two techs stayed, the rest of us gave them the big "FU!". It was a six month job, they could announce layoffs every six months.....and Christmas was six months away. Nope, net getting laid off at Christmas.

What I saw as a union member was eye-opening. There's nothing "unionized" about unions. Constant in-fighting, a horrendous good ole boy system, and only the worthless got representation. They're corrupt and constantly lie to their members who are exploited for profit and thrown away when no longer needed. Those cocksuckers had the nerve to blame it all on us. All those lowlife "all for one, and one for all" union fuckers don't hesitate to become union-busters when it benefitted them.

Now I make more money and get treated a heck of a lot better than I ever did in the union. Despite union claims they get paid more than non-union.....they don't.

I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

that was my thinking. i was willing to stay for less and see how it worked for me. if it didnt work then i would look elsewhere but at least i could be working while i looked. even with the cuts it was still going to be a damn good job.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Sorry to hear it for you friend, bad time to lose a job.

And I hope this completely washes any union loyalty out of you for your own sake now that you are going to be out there looking for work.They caused your hardship and you own them nothing.

Best of luck and prayers to you in hopes you land an even better job.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I bet you feel good about all those union dues  you paid into the leaderships and democrat party's pockets now eh?

reap the whirlwind.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:]

id say better than 90% of the teamster workers were the  the type that always thought the company owed them something and the union was gonna get it for them. never would have passed. if this was a right to work state i would have been out long ago. water under the bridge. when the contract ammendments were coming up for a vote and you hear some of these idiots talking about fuck this place shut it down. one guy talking about how he will loose everything in 2 months but shut it down anyways because we cant let them keep taking. i asked him why he doesnt just look for something else and leave. his answer is that he has to many years. but he is willing to give the years up to shut down the company. i dont understand that way of thinking.

This is the way most union employees think. This is also the way most liberal democrats think.  This is why we are where we are today.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Fuck unions.

QFT

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear that OP. Best of luck finding something new.

I seldom ate them anymore, but I did still buy Hostess products now and then, mainly for nostalgia.  Used to get a package during trips to the grocery store, growing up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#33]
This is just a sneak preview of what's going to happen to the American auto industry.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#34]
That's heavy. Real heavy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or now collect 2 yrs unemployment?  18,000 more on the government teat. (They paid in, I know, but it's more getting into the system.)

Extended unemployment ends at the end of this year unless Congress votes to keep it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bet you feel good about all those union dues  you paid into the leaderships and democrat party's pockets now eh?

reap the whirlwind.

i defenitely wish i could have them back. when i started there i was young and really had no idea about unions. i didnt work for a union i worked for hostess and i loved my job and had no intentions of ever leaving. i just had to be a member of a union to work there. hostess gave me a job but a fucking union pretty much took it away yet they say they fight for jobs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Liberalism truly is a mental disorder.  In Ohio (unless things have changed that I don't know about) you can be forced to join a union to get a job.  I was forced to join some sort of union at 15 to take a job bagging groceries and pushing carts at Kroger.  It paid the lowest wages around, AND we had to pay union dues (first 10 hours of our pay+ a small percentage of each check).  They would try to get us to hold candle light vigils outside of walmart for their poor workers who were getting paid more than us and had better benefits.  As it was explained to me, Kroger couldn't afford to pay their employees that did the entry level jobs more than 6 bucks an hour because some people got in while the union contract was the tits (gauranteed 1$ per year increases in  pay) so they pay one new guy stocking the shelves 6.50 because the guy who had been there 25 years is getting paid 30$/hr to do it.  I only worked there for a summer but I made 2 bucks more the next year at walmart

Basically.  Fuck Ohio's union laws....
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

if this was a right to work state i would have been out long ago.

How so? You mean they would've cut many employees long ago to remain a viable operation or you would've left b/c of presumed lower wages long ago?

Also could you expand on what the concessions were that y'all would've had to go for in order to keep the doors open?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Working as management in a union-baker shop, this was my main lesson:

"Unions breed mediocrity."

Whenever I had any of my good employees bitch about the worthless ones, I'd just say "Talk to the union - I can't do anything about it."  "But boss, we're doing twice their work!"  "Yep, and I value you as an employee AND a person, and thank you for your hard work.  Talk to the union - my hands are tied."

GOOD employees, who happen to be union members because they're forced, HATE the shitty workers.  My best employees would've voted out the union in a second, so they could keep their money the union stole in dues.

They were outnumbered by the shitty employees almost 2:1.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder how many "I work at wal-mart and my coworkers abandoned their jobs and we all got fired" threads there will be come Friday. There's got to be a few wal-mart employees here at least.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#41]
That sucks man.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I hope your situation improves soon.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry to hear that you too are a victim of the times.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extended unemployment ends at the end of this year unless Congress votes to keep it.

What's it default back to-50 weeks or something?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry.  I am ashamed that in this day and age in America, that the idea that "you need to break some eggs to make an omlette" is a concept applied to union members.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I was USW decades ago.

Had a 'union brother' pull a knife on me. At work. They transferred me out and did nothing to him.

Nothing like first-hand experience to let one see the true nature of modern unions.

Good luck to the OP finding something.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Sucks that OP gets sucked into the mix though.  Good luck OP-wish you the best in finding new employment.

They did not pay into unemployment the company did.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
if this was a right to work state i would have been out long ago.

How so? You mean they would've cut many employees long ago to remain a viable operation or you would've left b/c of presumed lower wages long ago?

Also could you expand on what the concessions were that y'all would've had to go for in order to keep the doors open?

no i meant i would have opted out of the union. the consessions were an 8% pay cut plus they were going to take back the 2.5% raise we recieved in august. a 17% decrease in medical benefit contributions and no pension contributions till 2015. i could live with that and voted yes. it still would have left me with decent pay and good insurance and a future at a job ive had since i was young.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I think they are blaming Romney

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top