Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT

JUVENILE SALE
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids?  Partial

State law restricts selling or giving handguns to juveniles under 18, and other firearms to juveniles under 12, except for supervised loans of firearms or for limited lawful activities (such as hunting). No state limits on kids 12 or older from being given or sold rifles, shotguns or even assault weapons.

according to the brady website.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=nc#juvsale

now can a 12 year old really buy a rifle?
i thought it was 18 years old to buy a rifle and 21 to buy a handgun!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
They can not buy one but in most states it can be gifted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Give you kid a wad of cash, tell him to buy a rifle.

See what happens.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Legally, NO. As a parent, you can buy it for him, and he can shoot it under your supervision.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
but the brady's say he can!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Even if it was true, I don't see why that would be such a bad thing. I would hope that if I had a kid, that I would have taught him to be responsible enough to safely handle a firearm on his own by at least age 12.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#6]
In Texas, a minor can purchase or receive a firearm from a private citizen (i.e., not a dealer) as long as he has his parents/legal guardians permission to do so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They promised we would see a flood of assault rifles, and the ice cream vendors would sell AK-47s on the street corner I haven't seen any of these Rocky Road AK-47 variants yet
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Of course. It's to prove their "point" to The Scared People.

Don't forget... Diane Feinstein said that the AK-47 was designed so it can be used without aiming. That is also a part of their agenda... misinforming the uninformed. Once they all believe it, we'd be hard-pressed to convince them otherwise. You already know how hard it is trying to discuss 2nd Amendment issues with TSP.

Their goal is to convince people of legal flaws or "loopholes" that need to be repaired, and to keep them all scared. For them, it's very emotional.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]

my 12 year old son can by an assault rifle!

What, he can walk BY one, run BY one.....................

Even the dumbass Brady bunch didn't call it an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Even if it was true, I don't see why that would be such a bad thing. I would hope that if I had a kid, that I would have taught him to be responsible enough to safely handle a firearm on his own by at least age 12.

Thery want to delay as long as possible any legal and positive exposure kids will have to firearms. They figure fewer people will be "into" firearms as adults if they can do that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

whaaa!!

fucking spelling nazis
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

JUVENILE SALE
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids? Partial

State law restricts selling or giving handguns to juveniles under 18, and other firearms to juveniles under 12, except for supervised loans of firearms or for limited lawful activities (such as hunting). No state limits on kids 12 or older from being given or sold rifles, shotguns or even assault weapons.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
cool, now he can spray shoot!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
By definition, an "assult rifle" is select-fire.

Under NFA law, your son must be 21 years-old to own one of these.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thery want to delay as long as possible any legal and positive exposure kids will have to firearms. They figure fewer people will be "into" firearms as adults if they can do that.

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whaaa!!

fucking spelling nazis

Learn to spell, then the spelling nazis would leave you alone.  BY is a completely different word from BUY.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JUVENILE SALE

Assault rifles and so-called "assault weapons" are 2 different things.

There is no such thing as the so-called "assault weapon".  It is a term completely fabricated by the antis to demonize our rifles.

An assault rifle is, by definition, a select fire, mag fed, intermediate cartridge rifle.  Your title said assault rifle.  Like I said, even the dumbass Brady bunch did not call it an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JUVENILE SALE

There is no such thing as the so-called "assault weapon".  It is a term completely fabricated by the antis to demonize our rifles.

An assault rifle is, by definition, a select fire, mag fed, intermediate cartridge rifle.  You title said assault rifle.  Like I said, even the dumbass Brady bunch did not call it an assault rifle.

Larry,

There was a guy with a screen name of Ludwigwittgenstein who used to post here. He had a post in the history forum that explained, in detail, how even the term "assault rifle" is a completely fabricated term and thus no official definition exists. I searched his screen name and none of his posts exist any longer, so unfortunately I can't give you a link.

ETA: Found some of his last posts on the forums, but the "assault rifle" one doesn't exist any longer. IIRC he posted it  in the history forum.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm disappointed in the Brady Bunch this time... They didn't even try to implicate or inference that dealers are being irresponsible/evil and are willing to sell to a minor.

Definetely not their normal level of quality.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There was a guy with a screen name of Ludwigwittgenstein who used to post here. He had a post in the history forum that explained, in detail, how even the term "assault rifle" is a completely fabricated term and thus no official definition exists. I searched his screen name and none of his posts exist any longer, so unfortunately I can't give you a link.

ETA: Found some of his last posts on the forums, but the "assault rifle" one doesn't exist any longer. IIRC he posted it  in the history forum.

Here's a quote from a book I read once.  The same info can be found on Wikipedia under the heading "Sturmgewehr".  Since the Germans pioneered the weapon type that most knowledgeable shooters call the "assault rifle", and since Sturmgewehr can be loosly translated to "assault rifle", I'll have to consider that to be the most official designation we're going to get for them.

The MP43, MP44, and StG44 were names for nearly identical weapons with only small production differences and dates. The last, the StG44, was called "Sturmgewehr", literally, "storm-rifle" (or assault rifle). It combined the traits of submachine guns and automatic rifles. The translation "assault rifle" became very popular to describe this class of weapon.

It chambered a shorter version of the standard 7.92 mm rifle round that, in combination with the weapon's design, allowed it to be used like a submachine gun in close quarters but with greater accuracy and range than submachine guns in longer range engagements. However, it had much less range and power than regular rifles of the day; at that time, much of the fighting was taking place at closer ranges such as in towns, cities, and wooded areas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JUVENILE SALE

An assault rifle is, by definition, a select fire, mag fed, intermediate cartridge rifle.  You title said assault rifle.  Like I said, even the dumbass Brady bunch did not call it an assault rifle.

Larry,

Well, history would disagree with him.  See 3rdpig's post below.  That is the history of how the term came about.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a quote from a book I read once.  The same info can be found on Wikipedia under the heading "Sturmgewehr".  Since the Germans pioneered the weapon type that most knowledgeable shooters call the "assault rifle", and since Sturmgewehr can be loosly translated to "assault rifle", I'll have to consider that to be the most official designation we're going to get for them.

The MP43, MP44, and StG44 were names for nearly identical weapons with only small production differences and dates. The last, the StG44, was called "Sturmgewehr", literally, "storm-rifle" (or assault rifle). It combined the traits of submachine guns and automatic rifles. The translation "assault rifle" became very popular to describe this class of weapon.

It chambered a shorter version of the standard 7.92 mm rifle round that, in combination with the weapon's design, allowed it to be used like a submachine gun in close quarters but with greater accuracy and range than submachine guns in longer range engagements. However, it had much less range and power than regular rifles of the day; at that time, much of the fighting was taking place at closer ranges such as in towns, cities, and wooded areas.

I wish I could find the link to Ludwig's post because he specifically addressed this when he made his claim that there was no such thing as an "assault rifle". I don't remember the specifics of his argument though, so I really can't dispute what you wrote.

From what I remember, his argument was compelling.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I could find the link to Ludwig's post because he specifically addressed this when he made his claim that there was no such thing as an "assault rifle". I don't remember the specifics of his argument though, so I really can't dispute what you wrote.

Those 2 words in red are key.  Just because he claims or argues something does not make it so.  Did he offer any actual evidence?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those 2 words in red are key.  Just because he claims or argues something does not make it so.  Did he offer any actual evidence?

Yes, he did offer evidence. I'm not saying he was necessarily correct (which is why I used those two words you hilighted), just that I remember him having a compelling argument. I have emailed him once before and he responded to me, so I will see if I can dig up his email address again and get him to comment on the issue. It's more out of personal curiosity than anything. It's not my intent to try and prove anyone wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, he did offer evidence. I'm not saying he was necessarily correct (which is why I used those two words you hilighted), just that I remember him having a compelling argument. I have emailed him once before and he responded to me, so I will see if I can dig up his email address again and get him to comment on the issue. It's more out of personal curiosity than anything. It's not my intent to try and prove anyone wrong.

I have read about it too many times to believe one guy who disputes it.  I have never seen anyone else make that argument.  I have seen it argued that "assault weapon" was not a legitimate term, and it isn't, but I have never seen anyone argue that the term assault rifle does not exist.

Are you sure he didn't say "assault weapon"?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have read about it too many times to believe one guy who disputes it.  I have never seen anyone else make that argument.  I have seen it argued that "assault weapon" was not a legitimate term, and it isn't, but I have never seen anyone argue that the term assault rifle does not exist.

He might have said "assault weapon". This was probably around last October or November that I read it, so it's hard for me to remember the specifics. However, I remember that he specifically discussed the Sturmgewehr argument, and IIRC he said it was wrong, which is why I'm pretty sure he said "assault rifle".

I was able to find his email and I've sent one off to him, so we'll see if he responds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He might have said "assault weapon". This was probably around last October or November that I read it, so it's hard for me to remember the specifics. However, I remember that he specifically discussed the Sturmgewehr argument, and IIRC he said it was wrong, which is why I'm pretty sure he said "assault rifle".

I was able to find his email and I've sent one off to him, so we'll see if he responds.

Maybe he should take it up with the German army.  They are the ones that coined the phrase.

Again, HE said it was wrong.  I have never seen anyone else make that assertion.  Attention whore mabye?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is an example of the newbie's posts in the women's forum:

First off, I fail to see the point of a gender-specific shooting forum. Any residue of discussion about firearms and shooting unique to females (or blacks or homosexuals or the handicapped, beyond those of white ambulatory heterosexual males), whether technical or general in nature, can readily be assimilated by existing forum formats without the need or added pretense of a separate venue. Second, that politeness, virtue and cleanliness of speech are something you see fit to advise only men about evidences a laughable Victorian-Norman Rockwell view of women that has not seen the light of day for at least fifty years prior to Monica Lewinsky going down on her knees. The idea that women have unique firearm discussion needs or interests that warrant a special forum is a crock.

And:

First off, do not patronize me. I frequented this forum for several years before joining. Second, I do not share your characterization that a "ruff-tuff locker room atmosphere" exists throughout the rest of the forum; that there are garbage mouths and loud mouths on some boards certainly goes without saying, but this is not a matter of nor determined by gender, and this Southern Belle perception of women you have is patently anachronistic. Third, that this forum is not about women's shooting issues but rather a place where women shooters can converse "on any matter" is precisely to my original point: Why? And in what defensible way does desire for such interaction necessitate a place separate from the General Discussion forum, any more than gay, black, latino or handicapped male participants necessitate their own special venue? Lastly, my respect or lack of it is not the issue; rather, it is the respect or lack of it women have for themselves that they should need a haven away from those whose sport they share, other than logging off or going to other forums where their interest in shooting is as inconsequential as it obviously is here.

And:

I don't have a conundrum. That you choose to so characterize my response or to merely state the obvious that this is a private site certainly avoids the issue entirely, doesn't it? You ladies have a nice time now. What a hoot.

More:

Sailors would give head to shipboard Marines and spit the ejaculate into a jar to later put on their corn flakes. This act of satisfaction at sea was called "Jar Head", as were the Marines for whom sailors performed the service. The tradition carries on to this very day.

Yeah, he really sounds like someone who I lend any credibility to.  Sounds like a real asshole who loves to argue and insult.

Some of this shit was in his first 30 posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top