Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/30/2011 3:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 3:51:18 PM EDT by skeeterh]
I've got a chance to buy a 93 Kawasaki KLR 650 in otherwise good shape for $800. Older gentleman was riding and put a branch through his radiator, overheated the bike but was still running, shut it off and couldn't start it again.
I'm not sure if it's seized or not but would imagine so.
Any idea what parts and machining would run me to rebuild it? Would that be a decent deal?
I can do the work.
I need to run out there tonight if I want it but it's about 2 hours away.

Edited to add, he's already replaced the radiator and it's got an aftermarket oversize tank along with a box of other spare parts..
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 3:52:58 PM EDT by adalon]
Not worth it. Used bikes are cheap parts are expensive look for one in good condition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 3:57:56 PM EDT by NoStockBikes]
I wouldn't pay that much. Hell, I wouldn't expect to pay much more for one that runs. At a minimum it's going to need piston & rings, could be much worse. Plus there's still a hole in the radiator. It's a 20 year old parts bike with at LEAST a seized engine. Could be all sorts of other clutch, etc. Pay accordingly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:00:22 PM EDT

I've just been searching around craigslist in other cities looking for comparable bikes and I guess you guys are right.
Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:02:23 PM EDT
Well, you could go over and do a compression test to see just how bad it is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:03:39 PM EDT
buy it.
perfect candidate for the 685 cc kit.
piston, rings, bore and plate cylinder, couple gaskets and a quart of antifeeze.... easy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:07:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skeeterh:

Edited to add, he's already replaced the radiator and it's got an aftermarket oversize tank along with a box of other spare parts..

He's pronbably selling it because the dealer told him it would be about $600 to fix. IF you can do the work yourself and are willing to take a bit of risk, it might not be a bad project buy for $500 or so. You may need to wait until he's hungrier, though. Hang onto his info, and offer him $500 cash in a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:09:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
buy it. FOR $500
piston, rings, bore and plate cylinder, couple gaskets and a quart of antifeeze.... easy.

FIFY :)

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:09:21 PM EDT
That's not a good deal if it is in perfect condition. Tell him that you'll haul it to the junkyard for two hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:16:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

He's pronbably selling it because the dealer told him it would be about $600 to fix. IF you can do the work yourself and are willing to take a bit of risk, it might not be a bad project buy for $500 or so. You may need to wait until he's hungrier, though. Hang onto his info, and offer him $500 cash in a couple weeks.

If he's still got it next weekend I'll offer $500
He's got a guy coming out in the morning to look at it.
He said he was trying to fix it himself but couldn't get it started after replacing the radiator.
I don't think he took it to a dealer.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:17:05 PM EDT
I've got a chance to buy a 93 Kawasaki KLR 650 in otherwise good shape for $800. Older gentleman was riding and put a branch through his radiator, overheated the bike but was still running, shut it off and couldn't start it again.
Any idea what parts and machining would run me to rebuild it? Would that be a decent deal?
I can do the work.

Without tearing it down there is no way of knowing how extensive the damage is. Did it overheat a little or go into complete nuclear meltdown mode?

If you buy the bike and need a new engine, ebay is a good place to find a replacement for a reasonable price.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:20:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sigp226:
That's not a good deal if it is in perfect condition. Tell him that you'll haul it to the junkyard for two hundred bucks.

I've been looking for a dual sport for a month or so. Used bike prices around here are surprisingly high these days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:22:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hornetmech:
I can do the work.

Without tearing it down there is no way of knowing how extensive the damage is. Did it overheat a little or go into complete nuclear meltdown mode?

If you buy the bike and need a new engine, ebay is a good place to find a replacement for a reasonable price.

I checked ebay and found a newer engine for $900 plus shipping. Not sure if it would be interchangeable though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:27:55 PM EDT
Does the engine turn over?
If it does, does it make horrifying sounds?

Just off the top of my head - melted or holed pistons.
Burnt valves.
Cylinder / piston out of round.

If it cranks over and there are no horrifying noises then put your hand over the exhaust pipe and see if you can feel the exhaust pulses.

Smell for fuel out of the exhaust.

You're not going to really know anything until you get a compression tester and / or a leak down test done.

I would pass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 4:33:44 PM EDT by sigp226]
oops
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:33:13 PM EDT
That bike is almost twenty years old. It will need plenty more than an engine - tires, shock, fork seals, battery, seat, chain, sprockets, mufflers, and probably a rebuild on the carb. Think about that for a few minutes - you could add that all together and get something a lot more recent for the same money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:35:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hornetmech:
I can do the work.

I checked ebay and found a newer engine for $900 plus shipping. Not sure if it would be interchangeable though.

I don't know either, a search on a KLR forum might help you find the interchange info.

Unless this bike is in otherwise perfect condition, I would look elsewhere and at a newer model year KLR.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 4:43:14 PM EDT by RaisedByWolves]
Get a newer KLX 650 and do an On road conversion.

With a pumper carb and some exhaust work and the right gearing they will eat 500 sport bikes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:47:10 PM EDT
I have a 95 KLR650 and, IMHO, I would not take that on. My bike has only ~9k miles (yes very low) and when she goes, she's down for the count. Putting on decent looking plastic and a new tank was expensive enough!

If you have to buy a new motor that could set you back another $2k. You can buy a late model in decent shape for $2k.

It's a great bike, and I love mine, but you don't need to take on a money pit when there are decent used bikes out there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 4:49:34 PM EDT by Followthehollow]

I've been looking for a dual sport for a month or so. Used bike prices around here are surprisingly high these days.

KLR's are stupid in this area.

cheapest I could find was a beat to shit 94 for 2000$

I went with a Cruiser...which I like...but I still want a KLR.

hell for the prices I see people talking about in these threads I could have them buy me one and ship the freaking thing here. I'd STILL be ahead 1500$.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:41:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Followthehollow:

KLR's are stupid in this area.

cheapest I could find was a beat to shit 94 for 2000$

I went with a Cruiser...which I like...but I still want a KLR.

hell for the prices I see people talking about in these threads I could have them buy me one and ship the freaking thing here. I'd STILL be ahead 1500$.

He's going to end up with $3,000 in it no matter what he does. He might as well get a more recent year and save the headaches on all the work it will need. The prices reflect the fact that people want silly prices for their stuff. A new one is $6,000. A twenty year old one that needs an engine and God knows what else is not worth $800. It's buying a nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 6:52:11 PM EDT by popnfresh]
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
buy it.

It would require a newer cylinder(96 or newer) for the 685 kit.

Any year KLR650 motor will fit in any year KLR650 chassis.

That old is asking for trouble aside from the obvious external visible problems, I foresee problems with the underlubed-from-the-factory rear suspension components. Rusted in place swingarm bolts are a real bitch.

I would question the overall maintenance performed by a person who would ride a cycle with no cooling system to the point of overheating it, a 410 lb. bike pushes pretty easy.

BTW: I bought my '07 brand new from the dealer in March of '07 for $4400(Kawi $500 of instant rebate normal $4900) 34,000 miles on it now, well worth the new price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:50:55 PM EDT
New radiator and a new plug could make it as good as new.
Top Top