Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/6/2002 3:41:51 PM EDT
[url]http://msn.com.com/2100-1106-899612.html[/url] "The Protect Children from Video Game Sex and Violence Act of 2002, introduced by Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif., would apply to games that feature decapitation, amputation, killing of humans with lethal weapons or through hand-to-hand combat, rape, car-jackings, aggravated assault and other violent felonies." "Violators of the act would be subject to fines of up to $1,000 for a first offense and up to $5,000, plus 90 days in jail, for multiple offenses." jail for playing a video game wtf is up with that!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:44:21 PM EDT
California = [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:48:52 PM EDT
I can just see a anti game task force kicking in some 12year olds door for playing Quake. Damn soccer moms!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:42:53 PM EDT
The Orwellian thought patrols will be aided by the distraught mothers, much like Hitler Youth members were encouraged to rat out their parents for anti-Hitler speech. California is a shit hole. It has been for a long time. Why? Too much sun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:53:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:57:53 PM EDT
I just read it and was going to post it as well. I'm old enough, but I'd still hate to show my virtual ID to play some online Wolfenstein. ---- Other statements that caught my eye... "And state lawmakers in Georgia recently introduced legislation that makes it a crime to sell games depicting graphic violence to minors." and "Other branches of the government are looking into the issue...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2002 5:47:35 PM EDT by JIMBEAM]
The games may play a small role in the violent behavior of some youths but most of the problem is child abuse and mental health. I heard an ad on the radio today that indicated that 72% the youth involved in the recent school shootings were abused as children. I guess it is easier to blame violent games and guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:57:52 PM EDT
What we really need are more laws restricting politicians.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:27:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: The games may play a small role in the violent behavior of some youths but most of the problem is child abuse and mental health. I heard an ad on the radio today that indicated that 72% the youth involved in the recent school shootings were abused as children. I guess it is easier to blame violent games and guns.
View Quote
When were the spoiled brats Harris and Kliebold abused? From the profiles of these school shooters given much air time, there was no mention of child abuse. An ad? Most of it is a lack of parental control and parents not teaching their kids right from wrong. No discipline. The problems facing kids now are not that different from most of us growing up, in fact they have more goodies. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, you never heard of kids doing this and guns were easier to get. Being excluded from a clique, being dumped by your girlfriend, and being bullied is nothing new in high school.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:28:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: The games may play a small role in the violent behavior of some youths but most of the problem is child abuse and mental health. I heard an ad on the radio today that indicated that 72% the youth involved in the recent school shootings were abused as children. I guess it is easier to blame violent games and guns.
View Quote
I would like to see the study that indicates this, particularly how the researchers defined "abuse."
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:34:07 PM EDT
"more wackyness from california VIOLENT GAME BILL" I saw this title and immediately thought of rowdy deer, man-eating pheasants and suicide bomber bass. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:39:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By marvl: What we really need are more laws restricting politicians.
View Quote
[size=4] I'll second that!![/size=4] Jamie
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:37:15 PM EDT
If the politicians really insist that they wan't to EARN their salaries, instead of just taking the money and doing nothing, they could try spending their time REPEALING all the crap passed since the 1930's that is totally unnecessary... hell, they'd earn their keep just sorting out what really needed to be kept, if anything... I guess it's too much to ask lawyers to stop making laws...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:29:47 AM EDT
"When kids play video games, they assume the identity of the characters in the game, and some of these characters are murderers, thieves, rapists, drug addicts and prostitutes," Baca said in a press release. "Do you really want your kids assuming the role of a mass murderer or a car-jacker while you are away at work?"
View Quote
Sort of like actors eh? What video game gives you the "role" of a prostitute? I've never seen one. God these poli[B]SHIT[/B]cians are losers!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:42:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SysProg: I guess it's too much to ask lawyers to stop making laws...
View Quote
I believe you mean politicians making laws. Lawyers interpret laws.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:28:57 AM EDT
What is interesting is that Assemblyman Joe Baca is a pro gun democrat
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:07:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2002 6:10:08 AM EDT by Liquid_Snake]
Sort of like actors eh? What video game gives you the "role" of a prostitute? I've never seen one
View Quote
Actually, the game Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix for Playstation has you playing a prostitute. Well, sort of. The character you control is an assassin/seductress who acts as a prostitute to get a few "jobs" done. About this bill, I'd just like to say that it is total and complete BS. I actually run a video game store for a living, and a few years ago we vouluntarily stopped selling "M" rated games to kids obviously under 17. Really only a couple parents complained, but at the time it seemed the right thing to do. As it turned out, by requiring parents to come and approve their kids purchase, actually angered more people. They just want to let their kids buy a game, and not have to actually accompany them into the store. So, we changed our policy back after numerous angry phone calls from parents/guardians who wonder why I wouldn't sell a particular game to their kids. I personally will not sell copies of Grand Theft Auto 3 to 6-year-olds, but it is not illegal for me to do so. I do have 6-year-olds whose parents will buy that game for them, and then they come back later to gleefully describe how much fun little Johnny has killing cops with a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:20:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2002 6:20:40 AM EDT by Fian]
Originally Posted By Redmanfms:
View Quote
I would like to see the study that indicates this, particularly how the researchers defined "abuse."
View Quote
I can't speak to this study, but most studies define abuse the same as the criminal justice system. It is not always a clear line, but spanking is not categorized as abuse. Typically, it would look more like broken bones, whipping, concussions, etc. As for Klebold and Harris, I think one of them was abused, but I am not sure. There was also evidence that the kid in Paducah had been molested by an uncle. Focusing on video games (or guns) is just another attention getter for politicians to show how much they care about the kids and how much they are doing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:06:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fian: I can't speak to this study, but most studies define abuse the same as the criminal justice system. It is not always a clear line, but spanking is not categorized as abuse. Typically, it would look more like broken bones, whipping, concussions, etc. As for Klebold and Harris, I think one of them was abused, but I am not sure. There was also evidence that the kid in Paducah had been molested by an uncle.
View Quote
Which criminal justice system? Definitions of abuse are varied from state-state and even vary widely within states. There is no one definition.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:54:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marvl: What we really need are more laws restricting politicians.
View Quote
Um... maybe I'm out of line here but isn't that what the Constitution is supposed to do?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:12:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 7:
Originally Posted By SysProg: I guess it's too much to ask lawyers to stop making laws...
View Quote
I believe you mean politicians making laws. Lawyers interpret laws.
View Quote
But look at what professions politicians usually have. You'll be hard pressed to find a congressman who has worked as a car mechanic or icecream truck driver.
Top Top