Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 6:20:06 AM EDT
I keep seeing all this crap about the apollo moon landing being a hoax. There was a mirror placed by the crew so that a laser from earth could be bounced off of it in order to accurately measure its distance. Demonstrating that the mirror is there would strongly support that we landed there. Further, someone would have spilled the beans long ago if the landing were a hoax-most notably the russians. Alot of other good points were made in the other posts on this subject and I won't repeat them. Now where the hell did I put my tin foil hat?!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't you just aim a powerful telescope at the landing zones and confirm that the lander's legs are still there?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I met a guy in LA that did his PHD thesis on the atmosphere and as an experiment they DID bounce a laser off the coordinates where the mirror "should" be.  And guess what?  It reflected back.  Hummmm, wonder how that happened?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Admiral Crunch:
Couldn't you just aim a powerful telescope at the landing zones and confirm that the lander's legs are still there?
View Quote

I don't think Palamar (200") or even the Hubble can see that degree of resolution.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Current telescopes don't have the resolution required to spot the remains of the lander and the other mobile vehicles.  BUT, the new telescope that they are working on that uses 2 or 3 seperate mirrors on the ends of a scaffold (desinged to be able to spot planets orbiting distant suns) will be able to finally put to rest this assinine stupidity.

I'm sure you won't hear anyone (who currently thinks it's a hoax) come forward and say, "Yup, I was wrong."

Just like I don't hear all the conspiracy nuts that said McVeigh was framed come forward and admit they were wrong.  Now they have modified their story to, "The government knew, but let it happen."
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to nit-pick a bit:  

The "mirrors" left on the Moon's surface are actually arrays of corner-cube retro-reflectors which (as their name suggests) will reflect incident light back along the same direction.

A simple flat mirror obeys the law of reflection:  "angle of incidence equals angle of reflection," so the reflected laser light wouldn't return to the source, except for a laser source exactly lined up perpendicular to the mirror surface.

Oh, and the gubbmint didn't just know about OKC and let it happen--they probably aided and abetted, just like in the World Trade center bombing.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The moon always faces the same direction due to its synchronous rotion/orbit. That's why we see the exact same face during the full moon. If the mirrors were properly located, a powerful laser beam shot at the right time and location will bounce back to it's source just like those used in field surveys and to a lesser extent just like light reflected off of tank to guide smart bombs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently heard that FOX news network will have a story on how NASA faked the moon. They say the Moon realy isnt there! NASA faked it, so they could say they landed on it!....................
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about a mirror on the Moon. Thats crazy. Everybody knows we landed on the Moon. The little Green men from Roswell helped us out. I thought everone knew that. I personally like mirrors on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
No, No, No, No.. The little [green]Green[/green] men from Roswell did the Kennedy assaination with the help of the Cuban Mob. The Moon landing was assisted by the spirits of long dead Aztec Indians who helped the Roswell aliens forefathers build landing pads and dug huge holes so spacecraft could use the center of the Earth for a base. Silly..

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Aviator,
Sir I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the Aztecs. You know as well as I do that tha Aztecs are from Atlantas and could go to the moon with out anyones help. And you also know that Bigfoot lives at the center of the Earth so spaceships can't land there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
All this can be cleard up by calling the F.B.I., just ask to speak with the Special Agent in charge of the X-Files, and if they have not lost the report, they will be glad to help you out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'll try that out. I kinda have a thing for Scully. Maybe she will help me out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SPORTSMANS SUPPLY:
Aviator,
Sir I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the Aztecs. You know as well as I do that tha Aztecs are from Atlantas and could go to the moon with out anyones help. And you also know that Bigfoot lives at the center of the Earth so spaceships can't land there.
View Quote

I stand corrected by the more Senior, Senior member from New Mexico...

Aviator  [%|]

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Aviator,
In a former life I was an Aztec and my trip to the moon was uneventfull. It was kinda hard to hold my breath for that long. My trip to mars was cool though. That face is for real. Its a statue of Elvis less the sideburns
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Jeeez I love this site! Higher education? Who the hell needs it if you cruz around in here![^]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Center of the Earth?  Are you guys nuts???  Everybody knows the Earth is flat.  doofuses!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I remember reading that the Hubble space telescope is powerful enough to detect a burning candle New York if the telescope were in LA.  Let's do a little bit o' number crunchin'.  Say a 1 inch flame.  2,500 miles between NY and LA.  Assuming this is about the telescope's maximum resolution, you could use the law of similar triangles to determine the smallest resolution at the distance of the moon. The moon is 240,000 miles away.

240,000 mi / (2,500 mi / 1 in) = 96 in = 8 feet.

The Hubble space telescope could only see features on the Moons surface larger than 8 feet.  That really isn't enough to see the small features of the equipment left behind from a moon landing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SPORTSMANS SUPPLY:
Aviator,
View Quote

I do not live in the center of the earth, the devil does.

And I know for a fact that NASA, the space program and the moon are all fabrications. And all the money that the U.S.A. has spent on the "space program" has actually gone towards funding the U.N. in its' quest for world disarmament and domination.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a buddy who's the director for the insitute of astronomy on Maui. Their old project was to shoot the mirror on the moon with their laser to measure the distance from the earth to the moon and they did it on a nightly basis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The moon always faces the same direction due to its synchronous rotion/orbit. That's why we see the exact same face during the full moon. If the mirrors were properly located, a powerful laser beam shot at the right time and location will bounce back to it's source just like those used in field surveys and to a lesser extent just like light reflected off of tank to guide smart bombs.
View Quote

Tidal locking of the Moon's orientation isn't perfect; the "right time and location" would be a very tricky thing to get right.

From the Earth the Moon appears to wobble a bit, which is why maps of the Moon from before the Space Age can show such far separated features as Mare Orientalis at 270 degrees longitude and Giordano Bruno at 110 degrees (it works out to a 200 degree view of the near side of the Moon).

And, yeah, even Moon dust has some reflectivity, but the surface isn't very flat, so the reflected light goes off in all directions; as opposed to having a little bit of it retro-reflected right back to the source.

The folks who aim telescope-mounted lasers at the Moon can tell when they hit the reflectors vs. when they miss.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember reading that the Hubble space telescope is powerful enough to detect a burning candle New York if the telescope were in LA.  Let's do a little bit o' number crunchin'.  Say a 1 inch flame.  2,500 miles between NY and LA.  Assuming this is about the telescope's maximum resolution, you could use the law of similar triangles to determine the smallest resolution at the distance of the moon. The moon is 240,000 miles away.

240,000 mi / (2,500 mi / 1 in) = 96 in = 8 feet.

The Hubble space telescope could only see features on the Moons surface larger than 8 feet.  That really isn't enough to see the small features of the equipment left behind from a moon landing.
View Quote

Just one more nit:

When they say "detect a candle" they refer to the telescope being able to distinguish that amount of radiant energy against a (more-or-less) dark background, not to the telescope's spatial resolving capability.

For example, even the unaided human eye can "detect" the luminous energy from a distant star, but we perceive such an object as an unresolved point.

The angular resolution of any optical system is inversely proportional to the size of the aperture.

For a telescope with a mirror of diameter D, the Dawes limit is:

angular res (arc-second) = 4.56 / D (inches).

You can use this formula, along with the familiar to shooters relationship that 1 arc-minute = 1.047 inches @ 100 yards distance, to work out the resolution of the Hubble (I'm off to work!).

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The moon is not really a terrestrial body at all.  

It is the MOTHERSHIP and THEY are watching.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, they are hiding on the dark side!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Damnit the Moon is made of cheese guys. Don't you know that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
There is no "moon".  Only a mass hallucination caused by generations of storytelling and bread contaminated with rye rust.

[moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon] [moon]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#28]
now if you look in a pool of water after dark you can catch the moon. all you need is some twine, a large bowl of gum and a goat....
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Have all of you forgotten to take you medication again??

Bad boyz ;-))
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, man... summa you's guys is purty smart.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]
So if there is a mirror on the moon then that means man landed there, right?  That must mean that since there is a rover on Mars then man must have landed on Mars as well, right?  Just because you can bounce a laser off the moon, doesn't necessarily mean that man landed on it. However, if they can prove the flag is there, then that would be some solid proof.

Japan is sending an probe up to obit the moon in a couple years, it's supposed to be able to send back very detailed pictures.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I think all this is coming to light since that fellow turned traitor in the FBI and gave the Russians all the files about the space program.  Pretty soon all sorts of stuff will have to come out.  Maybe we'll know about Roswell, Kennedy, King (what about Rodney King...hmmm), Hoffa, ...hey...who are you...what are you doing here...hey...take your hands offa me...help...help!!!!  If I can only hit 'submit' before they drag me off....
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I say if they faked it so what! Our wives and girlfriends are constantly faking it, does that make it less fun? Heck No!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#34]
[size=4][red]TO THE MOON ALICE![/red][/size=4]
[size=6][blue]TO THE MOON![/blue][/size=6]
Bossman
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Dick Sergeant.
Dick York.

Sergeant York?...........Hmmmmmmmmm?
I smell conspiracy!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#36]
yes "The Moon is a harsh mistress" :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't trust 'em. I just had some cheddar and it tasted like moon! Ray Walston is up to his old tricks![whacko]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
If there's a mirror on the Moon, there must be a Woman up there, too, looking into it...
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon. [(:|)][(:|)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Even my dog is protected:

[img]http://zapatopi.net/afdb/dogafdb.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Your dog should read this:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html#1

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#43]
This mirror talk is getting spooky  [dracula]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top