Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2002 5:28:15 PM EDT
[url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep02/80293.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:48:12 PM EDT
I am not familiar with the movie [i]Barbershop[/i]; who stars in it, what kind of movie is it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2002 6:13:49 PM EDT by RipMeyer]
Your gonna love this one!!! NOT!!! [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63131,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:29:53 PM EDT
the local "Kill whitey" columnist had this to say: [url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep02/80929.asp[/url] Black youth find fun elusive Last Updated: Sept. 18, 2002 Eugene Kane E-MAIL | ARCHIVE Sometimes girls - and guys - just wanna have fun, you know? That's 19-year-old Chloe Robinson's explanation of why so many young African-Americans have become Milwaukee's most bothersome population these days. It's why they cruise on the northwest side of town at all hours of the night, prompting a police crackdown. And why they flock to a suburban movie theater in large numbers, scaring the bejesus out of suburbanites who see any large group of blacks as a marauding army. Basically, they're just typical young people in search of a good time. With very few options. "It's like everything is closed off for us," said Robinson, a sophomore at Marquette University. "At a certain point, you just get bored and you want to do something." Robinson realizes times are not like when her mother was young in a different black Milwaukee. Back then, her mother tells her, folks had pool halls, skating rinks and a movie theater in every neighborhood. These days, shopping malls use black youth as a scapegoat for why their establishments are failing. Homeowners complain about the noise and commotion. Cops move you along if you act up, sometimes not too politely. Regardless of whether you're an all-American scholar or a habitual criminal, all young blacks looking for fun get painted with the same broad brush. Robinson was one of the young blacks who went to Mayfair Mall last weekend to see "Barbershop." She also takes part in the cruising on the northwest side. She sees nothing wrong with it. "What happens, after a certain time, the teen clubs close, we just want to go somewhere and have fun," she said. "Just like most adults did when they were our age." She's got us there. What's surprising about all the fuss over black teenagers is the collective amnesia it sparks in older residents - black and white - who have seemingly forgotten what it's like to be young. It's like they can't remember a time when hanging out with your friends was the cool thing to do, regardless of what a bunch of old fogies thought about your behavior. Teens have been "cruising" in Milwaukee since the time of "Happy Days." It's never really stopped. "I go down to the Krispy Kreme on Highway 100 a lot," said Robinson, who also works a part-time job. "The white kids cruise down there all the time. They even drag race! "Nobody ever says anything about that." Robinson was willing to admit, sometimes things do get out of hand. She conceded it must be a drag to own a nice home and have to put up with rowdy young people blaring music, trespassing on your property, even occasional gunfire. "There are always a couple of bad seeds. But for me and my friends, it's not about that. Milwaukee just doesn't have anyplace for us to go." Something has to be done for young black people in Milwaukee, probably one of the largest demographics in this rapidly changing city. It's depressing - albeit necessary - to see scores of young black men lined up by police during the cruising crackdown last weekend. It's also depressing when black kids are blamed for an incident that could have been avoided by better planning by mall officials for large crowds at the opening of an immensely popular PG-13 movie. Every black kid isn't a gangbanger or drug dealer. Many are just like Robinson, well-educated and working for a living, just trying to find a place to fit. They deserve to share this city as much as anyone, as long as they behave. Until something is done - including young blacks taking responsibility for the unruliness among their peers - being young and black in Milwaukee will continue to feel like having a target painted on your back. And, almost no fun at all.
Top Top