Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
for those guys that have/do wear them,are they miserable to wear?i need a nv helmet and these surplus helmets seem reasonably priced..does the chin strap adjust well?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:50 PM EDT
The .mil pads suck. The chinstraps are alright. If you get one, use Team Wendy internals.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:27:46 PM EDT
Pads are fine, helmet is awesome, chinstrap is awesome. Best standard issue mil helmet I've every seen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:28:23 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The .mil pads suck. The chinstraps are alright. If you get one, use Team Wendy internals.
View Quote

This.

http://tnvc.com/shop/team-wendy-epic-helmet-liner-suspension-system/

(Link to ARFCOM Sponsor)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:28:24 PM EDT
Do you really need it to be a ballistic helmet?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:31:16 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

no,not really,but for for around 100 bucks is there a better option?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:34:08 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not concerned with ballistic protection I'd just go with something lighter, check out the helmets on TNVC.

ETA: Specifically the Protecs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:08 PM EDT
Quoted:

If not concerned with ballistic protection I'd just go with something lighter, check out the helmets on TNVC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i guess i didnt consider weight!..are the ach helmets heavy?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:35 PM EDT
Other than being heavy, I loved the ACH. But then, this is from a guy who had to wear the K-pot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:37:43 PM EDT

Quoted:

Pads are fine, helmet is awesome, chinstrap is awesome. Best standard issue mil helmet I've every seen.
View Quote
This

Way better than the Kpot
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:53:21 PM EDT
Quoted:
for those guys that have/do wear them,are they miserable to wear?i need a nv helmet and these surplus helmets seem reasonably priced..does the chin strap adjust well?
View Quote

link to source of ACH helmets for $100?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:57:26 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know how to link,but look on ebay..ive seen several on there from 90-120 depending on condition.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:58:46 PM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is the case, then it's stolen or some idiot is desperate to sell his for quick cash.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:00:02 PM EDT
Quoted:

If that is the case, then it's stolen or some idiot is desperate to sell his for quick cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$100 is expensive around a military town.  ACH's are everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:00:57 PM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, really? I guess I've been away for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:01:44 PM EDT
My local surplus store has them for around a $100 as well. I don't see the need but kinda want...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:03:00 PM EDT
Just get a ops core or team wendy, you'll thank me later. I have both a ACH and a protec.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:05:53 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

This and I have many many hours with that damn thing on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:10 PM EDT
I bought mine from the EE here last year for about $150 shipped. Months before that I'd seen them going for about $125 both here in the EE and on Ebay. I think the price fluctuates based on the amount of soldiers returning (my guess). With the drawdown in Afghanistan last year, I figured I'd better pull the trigger.

There are the ABS plastic ACH helmets for cheaper, but they're not so cheap they're just giving them away. If you can afford it, why not just get an actual ACH and be covered by level III if you ever need it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:19:12 PM EDT
You can upgrade the pads and straps to improve their comfort significantly.  Still not fun to wear, but hey, its better than getting shot in the head.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:00:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
You can upgrade the pads and straps to improve their comfort significantly.  Still not fun to wear, but hey, its better than getting shot in the head.
View Quote

Compared to the older PASGT helmet, the newer ACH are super comfortable. Holy shit, night and day difference. I could wear a PASGT for maybe an hour and I was hating life. With the ACH, I could wear it all day.

BTW, they are Level IIIA certified, meaning a rifle round will penetrate if the angle is right. I've need NODs mounts and chinstrap screws deflect bullets, but against full power rounds the ACH usually isn't going to stop shit. Don't count on it protecting against anything more than small bits of shrapnel and from stopping you from slamming your head against stuff. Keep your head down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:35:44 AM EDT
Having worn steel pot, k pot and ACH.

The ACH is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:40:41 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

How long have you been in?

IMO, the ACH is fantastic. One of the best items I was issued. My first 2 years in the service, we had the PASGT helmets. Now those suck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:43:02 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACH is cheap now. Now that it's a Army wide standard issue item, the selling prices on eBay went way down. I remember looking at them on eBay 2006-2007. Those thing would sell for $300-400. Now, $100 is the average selling price on eBay.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:46:37 AM EDT
The shell is pretty good, but the pads are mediocre. Look at the various Team-Wendy upgrades, definitely upgrade the pads and chinstrap.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Protec can blow me. Their customer service is retarded and the helmets are uncomfortable.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:50:30 AM EDT
for just a NV helmet I would get a "bump helmet" of the sorts. The ACH is awesome when you need ballistic protection.... when you don't it is just heavy as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:50:54 AM EDT
Team Wendy FTMFW.

[/thread]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:52:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:53:16 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Credit card ready...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:56:45 AM EDT
There are airsoft (eek, airsoft!) high cut Maritime helmets that are just bump helmets for 70ish bucks on Amazon.  You can mount NODs, and install real rails so that you can add a flashlight etc. to them.
Also, they're cut for earpro.

It's what I have for my soon to be NODs...  with real Maritimes going for 600+, the airsoft copies are decent at 1/10th the price if you don't need ballistic protection.   If you do your research you'll find the one that's well made.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:06:42 AM EDT
Quoted:
Having worn steel pot, k pot and ACH.

The ACH is amazing.
View Quote

But then just about anything would be better than the steel pot or PASGT.  Never wore an ACH though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:13:48 AM EDT
I've worn em overseas and currently here for work. With my PVS-14s, you have to pull the rear neck adjustments really tight so the front doesn't dip down. I ended up buying a rear ballast that holds a strobe and batteries, now the balance is perfect. The rear ballast just velcros on and I put a band around it to keep it in place. Now the goggles don't make the helmet front heavy.

As for comfort, yes sir, it's one of the better choices out there that is ballistic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:29:34 AM EDT
For $100 you can get the crye nightcap.  It's pretty comfy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:31:49 AM EDT

Quoted:

There are airsoft (eek, airsoft!) high cut Maritime helmets that are just bump helmets for 70ish bucks on Amazon.  You can mount NODs, and install real rails so that you can add a flashlight etc. to them.

It's what I have for my soon to be NODs...  with real Maritimes going for 600+, the airsoft copies are decent at 1/10th the price if you don't need ballistic protection.   If you do your research you'll find the one that's well made.

Good luck!
View Quote
I tried an airsoft helmet.  Even in the big size, it's too small for my head.  It's built poorly and the pads suck.  The mount is chincy.  If you go this route, plan on putting some additional money into it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:38:56 AM EDT
Quoted:
I tried an airsoft helmet.  Even in the big size, it's too small for my head.  It's built poorly and the pads suck.  The mount is chincy.  If you go this route, plan on putting some additional money into it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Yeah, the one I listed is the one I researched as being the pick of the litter as far as these things go.  Like anything, they're not one solution for all people.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.