Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/8/2001 7:44:42 PM EDT
there is no law in the books in Michigan that prohibits open carry so that means you can correct me if I am wrong ( which I dont think i am) everyone is fighting up here about concealed carry and we can carry open so what is up with that
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:46:55 AM EDT
The theory is that it's legal, but in reality you'd better not try it, unless you're out in the woods by yourself. (And even then you'd best have a small game license). Nor can you have a handgun in a vehicle unless it's in the trunk and you're on the way to the range. Walking into a grocery store with an exposed handgun will promise a sudden panic, a call to the cops, and you can explain to the nice officers about the law while you're spread-eagled on the floor. Best you can hope for is to get off with causing a public nuisance. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you can actually DO it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:53:33 AM EDT
What Celt said! Unless you're looking for excitement...
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:37:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:17:09 AM EDT
[b]State of Michigan Statute 750.234e - Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.[/b] [i]Sec. 234e. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public. (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following: (a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer. (b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting. (c) A person lawfully engaged in target practice. (d) A person lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm. (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100, or both.[/i] Let us know how it goes... [url]http://www.michiganlegislature.org/Firearms.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:08:17 AM EDT
"bran-dish: 1. to shake or wave . . . menacingly 2. to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner" (Webster) "brandish: to posess, if you're only a peasant, and not a member of the ruling class." (Michigan penal code)
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:21:39 AM EDT
I can tell you from experience that it leads to some interesting encounters. Keep in mind that I live in a gun friendly state, but we have a lot of Californians. I was hassled by every cop that saw it. When I say hassled I mean given the third degree.Why? Whadda ya NEED it for? I was approached by regular citizens and questioned. Everthing from guns are bad and you shouldn't be carrying that to hey is that a mountain gun. There were several of us particpating in the act, one was pulled over on his bicycle and questioned. One was forcefully taken down in a parking lot, from behind, at gunpoint, by four adrenaline pumped "public servants". They told him they thought he was a gang member. When they couldn't pin anything on him they tried to argue that his IWB holster was actually concealed and they'd be looking into charges. The DA looked at it and dropped it. And my favorite, my wife got a phone call from a Detective investigating an armed robbry at a local grocery store bank. He asked all kinds of questions. When I caught up with him, I asked what made me a suspect. He said one of my neighbors had seen me wearing a gun and called the sheriff.So, in the words of one old guy that we talked to," God Bless you and good luck."
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:31:22 AM EDT
I was in Frankenmuth, MI a few weeks ago and saw 2 different people on the street that had revolvers on their belt. I do not know if they were LEOs, but assuming they weren't...does this mean they could have been hassled? According to Vectorer's post, they would have been in violation of the law.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:49:39 AM EDT
I've lived in Michigan fifty years, and the guys in Frankenmuth were either (a) LEOs of some degree or (b) were gonna be seriously hassled before the sun went down. Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:27:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:43:55 PM EDT
But supposedly you can only open carry if you've walked from your home. i.e. you can't get in a car, drive to the local mall and then open carry. But if you're leaving to go jogging after dark, you can open carry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:44:52 PM EDT
A good source of info is at: [url] http://www.mcrgo.org/ [/url] I agree with Lumpy. Why deal with the hassle? Get yourself a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:21:45 PM EDT
I know Arizona is an open carry state, but how widespread is this practice, and to what degree is it accepted and tolerated?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:16:21 AM EDT
I grew up in Michigan, and I can guarantee you this: regardless of whether or not it's technically legal, if you try it you're going to get fucked with something fierce. Plan on getting arrested if you live anywhere in the Detroit metro area, for something like being a 'disorderly person' (even though that statute doesn't apply). Cops in Michigan tend to be very anti-armed civilian, and many of them will FIND a reason to arrest you if you carry openly. Even if you get a cool cop the first time or two, you'll have freaked-out sheeple calling in on you every time you do it, and sooner or later someone will lock you up. Then the (probably anti-gun) prosecutor will get to have his way with you. Pay for your permit and forget open carry- I promise you, it's not worth the hassle.
Top Top