Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2001 8:25:24 AM EDT
Has anybody built up a scout or sporter rifle from some of the numerous surplus mauser actions out there? Which one did you use? Did you rebarrel or used the original? Scopes, sights, mounts and stocks-which ones and why? It seems to me that we should all be taking advantage of the abundance of fairly inexpensive rifles out there and making something decent out of them or just plain have one to show the kid's, "before daddies black politically incorrect, fighting for freedom, constitutional defender, your great granpa's used these." Let us know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 10:40:32 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 11:06:33 AM EDT by KBaker]
I've got a '96 Swedish Mauser I rebarrelled with a medium-weight 24" Shilen barrel chambered for 6.5x55 in a 1-in-8 twist. It has Timney trigger, a narrowed trigger guard, and is glass bedded in a walnut Fajen thumbhole sporter stock. I put two-peice Weaver bases on it and mounted a 6.5-20X Simmons adjustable objective scope. Accuracy has not been all I'd hoped, but I'm still working on loads. I just ordered a Richard's Microfit stock for my M48 Yugo Mauser today. I'll be setting it up with a Timney trigger and probably a scout-scope mount. I'm keeping the original barrel. The Swede was in poor shape and had no bluing left, but now it's beautiful. The Yugo is in unissued condition, but the stock is REALLY short for me and it shoots VERY high with iron sights. If I wanted a rifle that just shot great, I'd go out and buy a Remington 700 or a Savage 110, probably. However, I like having something not everyone owns, and I like playing with these things. Yes, they do end up costing more than a current factory rifle, but they're uniquely mine. One of these days I'll have a custom builder make me something really special, but right now I'll low-dollar it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:53:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 11:50:14 AM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:33:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:55:50 PM EDT
To put a scope on, scout style, I picked up at another forum that the weaver mount for a T/C contender works, I will try to find the specific model in the next couple of days and will post. Great topic, keep bringing the projects on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:44:22 PM EDT
Mauser military actions are great for conversions to all sorts of custom guns and, at one time, were extremely popular for this. However, unless you can do much of the work yourself, these conversions aren’t really cost effective any more. If money is not a major concern, you can wind up with an extremely nice rifle. Before going too far, I’d suggest you price out a conversion using a Mauser action. Compare that to picking up a used Remington 700, Savage 110, etc. Alternatively, you can hold down the cost by making only limited modifications. For example, rebarreling is a major cost - avoid it by getting an action that already has an acceptable barrel on it. While I wouldn’t walk away from a cheap 94, 95 or 96 Mauser action, your best bet is to start with a 98. You definitely want a 98 if you’re going to rebarrel to a .308 Winchester or similar cartridge. In general, things to price out: Initial cost of action Rebarrelling Restocking Reblueing Replace military trigger Turn down or replace bolt handle Modify or replace safety (so it will work with scope) Drill and tap receiver for scope mounts and/or mount iron sights
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2001 2:49:56 PM EDT by Old_Spfld_Armory]
Just some stuff I found online [img]homepages.skylink.com/~brett/98scout1.jpg[/img] [url]homepages.skylink.com/~brett/98mauser.html[/url] [url]www.1freespace.com/libertytree/K98.htm[/url] [url]home.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutrifle.html[/url] [b][red]Note: I am NOT the author of any of these pages. The authors are listed on each page. I just posted links to help others find these pages quickly.[/red][/b] OSA
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:53:59 PM EDT
For got to add this one [url]www3.telus.net/Clinton_Coates/[/url] OSA
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:10:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raf: You wouldn't believe the difference between the Ashley mount and the B-Square. Ashley mounts scope in FAR better position. Not saying buy Ashley, but check out their site and look at the mount to see how it's done right. Good luck![url]www.ashleyoutdoors.com[/url]
View Quote
I went and looked at the Ashley mount - VERY nice, and only $60.00, but it looks like I'd have to mill off the rear sight base to mount it. I'm not real thrilled by that option. I think I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:14:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:57:58 PM EDT
The Mausers I’ve worked with have had the rear sight sleeve secured both with a screw and soft solder. However, they’ve always come off easily with a propane torch and a soft mallet. Obviously you don’t get carried away with the torch and change the barrel/action hardness.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:08:47 AM EDT
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwAvQtcNuxedQwmWD!oqYrvMXBif0OvtzEIL*MyPl29m­6A6M40ctFP1Lz*MvFQ1q3FD9gznkO9Y/DCP_0001.jpg[/img] Heres one I built on a left handed Savage.It was a 11FL.I believe it was 283.00 for the rifle.55.00+ shipping for the mount[Ashley]. 45.00 for the rings.50.00 for the scope[used]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:23:10 AM EDT
I just got my Springfield 1903 back from ER Shaw. I had them put on a 20" 35 whelen barrel on it. The previous owner of this very high serial number Springfield was courteous enough to drill and tap the reciever, thus defeating any collectability. So, I'm making a scout gun out of it. I already have a williams ppep sit that mounts from the rear of the reciever. I hate aluminium bases, so I'll be grinding some steel weaver grand slam bases until they work for a forward scope mount. The beauty of this gun is that I can smack the hell out of something with the 35 Whelen and feed the gun from stripper clips in case I'm a really bad shot. I'm a little bit drunk right now, I hope this all made sense.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:23:05 AM EDT
The weaver mount that I referred to in previous post is the model 92a. You have to drill and tap, but it is secure.
Top Top