Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/31/2002 9:34:31 AM EST
Sorry if this may be a stupid question, but does anyone forsee any potential issues about taking mags (hi and/or low cap)in CHECKED baggage on air flights. They would be mags, not firearms that would require a declaration. It would be simpler for me to take them with me when I purchase them out of town rather than shipping back. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:40:08 AM EST
Just like any other, non-prohibited, non-dangerous piece of metal, toss them in your bags (empty) and forget about them. Or, if you forsee some hassle with the caliber of individuals working airport security, ship them FedEx/UPS and travel light. Declaring these items (mags) is not necessary and will arouse the unwarranted suspicion of the airport retards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:46:00 AM EST
Just my opinion. I travel weekly and always see questionable items being removed from travelers bags and thrown into the box of no return. You do have a choice of getting them out of the box and leaving airport, or leave them behind. I can assure you this, mags will be questionable Items and they will not let you take them onboard if they are recognized for what they are. There is a whole lot bureaucracy in the system now and Im sure you not want to loose any mags pre-or postban. Mail the darn things...it will save you and all those uneducated bag checkers a lot of potential hassle. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:00:02 AM EST
If you are checking in your baggage it will be fine. There is no law or policy that I know of stating you have to declare a magazine when checking your bags. I wouldn't reccomend taking them in your carry on bag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:49:14 PM EST
Gents, I have flown several times since 9-11 both coast to coast and out of the country. On one trip I brought back an SA M1A preban and Colt M-4. They were checked items. All you need to do is call the airlines and tell them what your planning to do and they will say yes or no. I asked to talk to a supervisor and got the number to the counter where you check your backs just as a secondary test to see if all the airlines employee's were talking the same music. I have seen the "Black Hole" box of taken materials and that stuff is never going to see the original owner. But since you are going to be checking the bags with the mags in you SHOULD be ok. Just call the 1-800 number to be on the safe side. Semper Fidelis, Piglet
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:00:03 PM EST
I regularly carry firearms components in checked bags, I always tell them when I check-in that there are firearms components in the bags not complete weapons. Never had a problem.
Top Top