Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2013 6:46:18 PM EDT

I'm trying to setup a home theater system / network for my folks. They have no internet at the lake house, but the plan is to have the TV in another room from the PC.

All we want to do is have movies on the PC then stream content via the WiFi (dlna) network to the non-smart TV. Any recommendations on a device to interface between the TV and the WiFi?

Roku requires internet service.

I'm trying to avoid a raspberrypi because my folks can't administer it

I may just go with another computer or a DLNA Bluray player, but the BR players i've used have had horrible interfaces

please and thank you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm trying to setup a home theater system / network for my folks. They have no internet at the lake house, but the plan is to have the TV in another room from the PC.
All we want to do is have movies on the PC then stream content via the WiFi (dlna) network to the non-smart TV. Any recommendations on a device to interface between the TV and the WiFi?

View Quote

Huh?  I think you have made this overly complex.

Without internet access, there is nothing to "stream".  

Get a Bluray player and connect it to the TV for your movies.

If you want to interconnect their PC's into a home network, get a network hub.  Their PC's can connect to each other through this hub to create their home network even without internet access.  The interconnections can be either wired or wireless.  

IMO, wired connections are much more reliable but wireless is still probably the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
What distance from the PC to the TV?  Could you run a HDMI cable from the computer to TV?  Then get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse setup.  So they can use that from the TV room.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
30 feet or so, a bit longer than i'd like to run an HDMI cable
i'm trying to do a simple / low power solution. i'd prefer not to have an additional computer if possible.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
First of all what kind of media are we talking here? What format is everything in? What level of technology is everyone involved comfortable with? What kind of existing infrastructure is in place, ie a wireless AP or are you planning Ad-Hoc? Sometimes a less fancy solution is the best if you fear it not working and getting that phone call because they cant operate something or something changed and no one but you knows how to fix it.

Thats not a long HDMI run but can be trouble for control depending how you are wanting to do it.

Ask yourself if a setup that they dont know how to work/troubleshoot if your arent there is a good idea for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
WDTV Live

I have this.  Works for what I wanted.  I can stream movies saved on my PC or an external hard drive plugged in to my router.  Or plug in an external hard drive or thumbdrive.

It may have corrupted some files when I plugged the ext HD directly to it, though.  Still have to look in the that issue.

Only cost me $60, so it was worth trying.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Roku requires internet service.
I'm trying to avoid a raspberrypi because my folks can't administer it
I may just go with another computer or a DLNA Bluray player, but the BR players i've used have had horrible interfaces

please and thank you.
View Quote

Does the PC's video card have an HDMI output connector on the back panel?

If so, you can get a wireless connection from your PC's video card output to your TV's input.  If you set up the PC such that the TV is a "projector", then you can stream all the content via the wireless link.  If the TV has speakers, it will play back the audio on those.  

Does the TV have speakers?  Do you have/want to use an AV receiver?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WDTV Live

I have this.  Works for what I wanted.  I can stream movies saved on my PC or an external hard drive plugged in to my router.  Or plug in an external hard drive or thumbdrive.

It may have corrupted some files when I plugged the ext HD directly to it, though.  Still have to look in the that issue.

Only cost me $60, so it was worth trying.
View Quote

This. I have 2. The older one can even stream movies from the newer one or any of my PCs or the attached external drive.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top