Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:52:25 PM EDT
i have heard a few people on arfcom talk highly of this book and i'm thinking of getting it at the local library.
but whats it about? (in general)
why did you like it or not?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i have heard a few people on arfcom talk highly of this book and i'm thinking of getting it at the local library.
but whats it about? (in general)
why did you like it or not?

Meh...

On the one hand, as SHTF fiction, it's pretty OK.  But it's a little tough to suspend disbelief... Rawles has his characters acting like a Special Forces outfit, not like survivalists.

If it's at the library, go for it.  I bought it, and feel like I wound up paying too much.  I didn't hate it, and I can see myself reading it again, but I liked E:F&D, [Domestic Enemies, and Molon Labe! more (even though I had a couple of much bigger beefs with Molon Labe!.

You should read Lights Out! by Halffast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a SHTF training manual masquerading as a novel.  As a training manual it is full of information.  As a novel, it in so-so at best.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i read "lights out" loved it. thats why i'm looking around, looking for something kinda like lights out
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It gives instructions on how to handle cannibal communists!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i read "lights out" loved it. thats why i'm looking around, looking for something kinda like lights out

In my opinion, "Lights Out" was much, much better than "Patriots"
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was a great novel.
I have read my copy a couple times.
It's ironic that you bring this up. I was looking for another book just last night and came across my copy of Patriots and muttered to myself what a good book that was.

It is very similar to "Lights Out" if you read that on-line. Woops, I see that you did read it: OK, it is a lot like that.

What is it about ?
It is just a novel about some people who saw TSHTF coming, prepared for it, then once it happened put their plan into action.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is a SHTF training manual masquerading as a novel.  As a training manual it is full of information.  As a novel, it in so-so at best.

Steve

yeah, ambushing people walking by your location - real good training
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
looked and could not find deep winter, wolf and iron e/f&d or patriots at the library

so i bought it on line should come in 5-10 bus days
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Steve

Yeah, pretty funny how he shoe-horned in the comm security stuff in one of the last chapters.

Over-all, pretty silly as a novel, but some decent info in it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to the outdoors section of the forum.Look in the essential survival guides and fiction section.The last thread on page 1."Deep Winter"& "Shatter".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top