Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 3:48:16 PM EDT
I have a guy that has a unfired Colt sporter a2 with a 20 inch heavy barrel with 3 clips for 900.00 , I have 2 AK's and was looking at an AR for some time , just wondering if this is a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice is get in on a good deal...

[url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/ffloridashootersnetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=640.topic[/url]

Concerning the Colt Sporter HBAR, if it is a postban, that is about what they go for, but Colt is lacking in quality lately.

If it is a preban you don't want it. Colt prebans are notorious for just blowing up without warning, even unloaded. Very dangerous and only worth about $100.00. If it IS a preban A2 for $900.00 pass the sellers info to me by email and I will make sure it gets safely disposed of.

And ignore the advice of EVERYONE else concerning this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a guy that has a unfired Colt sporter a2 with a 20 inch heavy barrel with 3 clips for 900.00 , I have 2 AK's and was looking at an AR for some time , just wondering if this is a good deal.
View Quote

Welcome aboard!! Is the rifle pre- or post-ban? AFAIK, that should be about right or even a bit low for a post-ban colt (you pays for the horsey). The three magazines should (if they are USGI) be worth about $14~$18 each.

You can get an LEGP rifle (RRA, I believe) for about $100-$200 less (go to the main Forums page, see Limited Edition Group Purchase forum near the top. This is GUARANTEED to be NIB, and has a warranty to boot (as well as supporting one of our board members)
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
  Steyr's being funny, but he's basically right. I've been here for 2 1/2 years and have seen many of these questions. I've been keeping a database of sellers who have ripped off our members. What's this guy's e-mail? I'd be happy to check against the info I have and tell you if he's on the up and up. $900 for a questionable rifle and questionable mags seem out of line. Give me some info on the seller and I'll check for you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well here is the seller info deal, he is a ham radio friend of a very good friend of mine, he is an elder man, collects guns , blah blah, I am looking to inspect the gun this week. SO what all do I need to be looking at as for as pre-ban or post-ban on these ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My advice is get in on a good deal...

[url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/ffloridashootersnetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=640.topic[/url]

Concerning the Colt Sporter HBAR, if it is a postban, that is about what they go for, but Colt is lacking in quality lately.

If it is a preban you don't want it. Colt prebans are notorious for just blowing up without warning, even unloaded. Very dangerous and only worth about $100.00. If it IS a preban A2 for $900.00 pass the sellers info to me by email and I will make sure it gets safely disposed of.

And ignore the advice of EVERYONE else concerning this rifle.
View Quote

Well, there's my laugh for the night...[:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
there are a lot of good manufacturers out there . i would get a bushmaster personally because i have never had one problem with mine and i have never heard of any real complaints about them
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well here is the seller info deal, he is a ham radio friend of a very good friend of mine, he is an elder man, collects guns , blah blah, I am looking to inspect the gun this week. SO what all do I need to be looking at as for as pre-ban or post-ban on these ?
View Quote

You'll need to use the serial number database on this site to see if the rifle was manufactured after the Sept 94 "assault" weapons ban. The Colt Factory will also verify it for you, just give them a call, and they have even provided me with documentation letters on my preban.

Pre Ban vs Post Ban in an very convoluted and smartass nutshell:

If it was manufactured after Sept 94 then it is a post ban and cannot legally have more than two of the "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL" features that make pre bans more dangerous than post bans (Things like flash supressors, threaded barrels, collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs etc...) due to the ability of the rifle to accept detachable magazines and the "conspicuously protuding pistol grip" which are, on a post ban AR, typically the two features of the EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL ones that use up your alotment of two. (You can have two out of the seven and the weapon is NOT considerd an "assault weapon", but add that damn bayonet lug and BAM! You're a felon over less than an ounce of steel, even though the functionality of the rifle is not in any way affected, and it sure as hell will shoot you just as dead without one. Make sense yet? Hey, look on the bright side...all the Drive-By bayonettings have stopped since 94, haven't they?).

Since a preban can have any and all of these features and still be legal, and because it'll be a cold day in Hell before civilians can own them this way ever again, pre bans command a higher price/value than post bans. If it checks out to be a preban...JUMP ON IT. Post ban...IMO, you can do much better for less buckage. Good luck...you'll love the AR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The Serial Number is CCH027****, Matched Target Competetion Hbar
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Serial Number is CCH027XXX, Matched Target Competetion Hbar
View Quote

Bore,

Generally, you don't want to post the complete serial number. You may want to edit your post to remove the last three characters of the SN.

CH019500 and Below - Pre-Ban

Sounds "Post Ban" to me. $900 also sounds a little high. Since you can get a good Bushmaster and/or Armalite for less than that.

Try to get him down to $800 or $850.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Well he has a 4x burris scope on it, so that is probably the price difference, Mainly I am just needing to know for a first time AR purchase, is the colt a great gun or are the others better ??? And why if they are better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
With the scope and 3 mags, let's say you'll be paying 800 for the rifle.  Not a bad price for a Colt,  But since you already have the AK's why not go for a Carbine or better yet an M4 carbine? [bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top