Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/3/2006 2:55:41 PM EDT
This thing in my phone. (An essay on data storage).

I keep telling myself I am not that old and in fact I am a pretty hip dude. If that statement doesn’t date me I don’t know what will. Wait, are the terms “hip” and “dude” back in? “That 70’s show” is really muddling the vernacular. Speaking of back in, I saw a young guy at the mall last week with a pink polo shirt. The collar was turned up and he had a “Monkeys haircut”. Talk about mixing your eras. The kid had a hippy-preppy thing going on. I didn’t know wither to laugh or cry. Now back to the reason for the essay. My old cell phone was dying so I went to the store to buy a new one with all the bells and whistles. It’s got a nice clock on the front so it doubles as a pocket watch and also plays music and there in lies the issue. This phone has a little plastic thing that goes in the side to store information. Now I have been using computers since high school and I know all about data storage devices. I started out with 5.25 DSDD “floppy” disks. They were great. You had one “boot and program” disk and one for the data files. You put the disks into the computer and turn it on and it starts up. It was simple with no hard drive and no real memory. The 5 and a quarters held 360KB or about 5 copies of this essay. “In it’s time” it could hold a lot more data because these new text files have a lot of cool features we just didn’t have in the computer stone age. The chip that goes in the side of my phone is a 1Gig mini-S made by Scan disk. It’s the size of a nickel but as thin as a dime. I don’t know what a Gig is except it’s a thousand million or a billion of something. Why they have a billion of one thing and a Gig of something else I don’t know. So I thought I would put this really large amount of data into terms I know. It’s equal to 2,777 of the 5.25 floppy disks which is a stack of them 15’ tall. So now I have this thing the size of a postage stamp that holds as much data as a steamer trunk full of floppies. Obviously the only thing to do with this obscene amount of storage capacity is to copy all my 8-track tapes to it. Now, if I can just figure out how to hook up the reel to reel/8-track into the computer. (just kidding they make an adaptor) and I can plug into it using good old RCA cables.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:01:08 PM EDT
I normally don't read long posts, but since you said (Please Ignore) I couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:02:12 PM EDT
Hit the ENTER button every now and then. Makes for easier reading.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 3:04:15 PM EDT by deej86]

Originally Posted By GoGop:
I normally don't read long posts, but since you said (Please Ignore) I couldn't help myself.

+1.

Just to see what it was, right GoGop?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 3:04:33 PM EDT by hk940]

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
Hit the ENTER button every now and then. Makes for easier reading.

enter? you mean "carrage return"?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 6:55:08 PM EDT by GoGop]
Yeah Deej. It's like when someone says "Don't turn around, but there's this real freaky looking guy behind you."
No way to keep from looking.

HK,
Carriage return? Didn't those go out with rotary telephones?

EDIT--To fix omission.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT

Yeah Deej. It's like when someone says "Don't around, but there's this real freaky looking guy behind you."

HK,

My mom had a rotary phone once lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:02:01 PM EDT

Yeah Deej. It's like when someone says "Don't turn around, but there's this real freaky looking guy behind you."

HK,

EDIT--To fix omission.

A carriage return is a key from an old-style typewriter or teletype machine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
ignoring as requested
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
The room-filling computers my Uncle first programmed on, when he was learning in college in the 1960s...

...were less powerful than the tiny PDA I got back in 1998.

Progress marches on. ENIAC was massive. Now I have a calculator that can do far, far more, and far, far faster, and which fits nicely in my backpack and runs off of AAA batteries.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:10:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubblehead597:

HK,

EDIT--To fix omission.

A carriage return is a key from an old-style typewriter or teletype machine.

The whole paper roller assembly would go slamming back to the left and go "ding" so you knew it was OK to start typing again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
yada yada yada....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
The room-filling computers my Uncle first programmed on, when he was learning in college in the 1960s...

...were less powerful than the tiny PDA I got back in 1998.

Progress marches on. ENIAC was massive. Now I have a calculator that can do far, far more, and far, far faster, and which fits nicely in my backpack and runs off of AAA batteries.

While teaching my kids some Access programming I told them that the first program I wrote was in FORTRAN and used paper cards to enter the data, my 7 year boy , after looking at my tower for while, asked "Where did you put the paper cards in at?"
Top Top