Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/5/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
Anyone know if a Yamaha Rhino electrical/charging system can handle one of those high power LED type light bars? Say maybe a 24" setup?

Have any tips on how to set it up?

Where should I look for the best deal?

Have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:47:18 AM EDT
Nobody has done this?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:00:29 AM EDT
We used to have a couple Polaris Rangers that had a brush gard with 2 KC type lights. (Halogens) I imagine that if those systems can handle that, they can handle an LED.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:58:59 AM EDT
You should be fine. Rhinos don't have a huge charging system but I see plenty of them all the time with more than just a light bar. If you are going to be leaving it on for a long time, a larger battery would probably be a good idea. The average dual row 20" light bar is ~120 watts (or~10 amps). A relay would also be a good idea, but most good rocker switches are rated for 20 amps so they would handle the load just fine. Be sure to fuse the hot wire close to the battery.

For brands, I honestly see no point in buying the high dollar Rigids or Vision X, etc. They are mostly Chinese components that roll off the same assembly lines as some "knockoff" Chinese brands like Totron. Some of the high end ones are assembled in USA and have a good warranty, but you can buy 4 of the better Chinese light bars for the cost of one of those. Totrons have a pretty big following and some of the vendors will give you a long warranty. Light It Up Offroad is a good dealer, as is WV Offroad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:00:31 PM EDT
Well I bought a 40" dual row off Amazon for $145. It's insane how much light it puts out! Used a relay and a high quality switch as well as heavier gauge wire. Ran it for an hour or two so far and can't believe I waited this long to do so. Pulled up to a party down the road the other night and got swamped instantly by people saying "holy shit. ...that's unreal! " Hope it lasts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:49:16 PM EDT
Thanks for the retailer info. I want to put on a light bar on my ranger 400 before the snow flies. It really ought to light things up when I am snow plowing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2014 10:58:46 PM EDT by louisianarebel]
I have a 12 on mine. Works great. bright enough.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:13:52 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
Well I bought a 40" dual row off Amazon for $145. It's insane how much light it puts out! Used a relay and a high quality switch as well as heavier gauge wire. Ran it for an hour or two so far and can't believe I waited this long to do so. Pulled up to a party down the road the other night and got swamped instantly by people saying "holy shit. ...that's unreal! " Hope it lasts.
View Quote

Don't be that guy that rolls around at night with that thing on while people are headed towards you. There may be someone with a brighter light bar aimed high who will shine their light right in your eyes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:48:57 PM EDT
Where are yall getting these light bars?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT by louisianarebel]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
Where are yall getting these light bars?
View Quote

Mine is from trailworthyfab. He has a great warranty and actually communicates with you. I only talked to him because i didnt wire it right.
I have one on my truck too
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:21:34 PM EDT
I bought a cheapo off of ebay for around $80 that uses Cree led's...It's 9000 lumen 20" wide spot/flood combo and put it on my old excavator so I can get some" around the farm" work done at night...It's basically like working in day light and so far has held up to the elements over the summer..I don't think they draw a lot of amps but they do get hot...this one has a pretty hd aluminum housing the leds are in
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:25:13 PM EDT

What are those two things behind the seats? Fans??
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 10mmFan:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like speakers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Prae:

Looks like speakers.
View All Quotes

Looks like speakers.

Those are speakers. That type of housing is often used on boats.

OP, any LED light bar will draw a fraction of what the stock headlight do. You could wire one into a Power Wheels if you wanted to.

Personally, I have an allegiance to Rigid Industries. You will pay more but they are the only American made LED bars. Every other brand is a generic bar bought from a Chinese distributor then relabeled.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:00:41 AM EDT

View All Quotes

Wake speakers.
The headlights do draw more power than the 12 inch bar i have.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:34 AM EDT

I had a very similar setup as this, almost same light also, but had it in front of my radiator mounted on brush guard, with my amp and speakers and LED light, I had everything wired direct to the battery with weatherproof switches to turn it off, never had an issue with battery dying except this winter when it sat for a few months unused. My light was an 8" and even that put out a good amount of light, but I would've like to have had it bigger yet still.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:14:01 AM EDT
thinking about getting a 50" totron
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
We have two Rhino's with the 14" bars.

They draw about three amps, about half the current of two 35 watt headlight bulbs. The volt meter on the dash will seldom drop below 13v at idle with the LED on.

If you want to reduce current draw further, replace the tail and stop lamp bulbs with LED's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:11:33 AM EDT
I have the old dirtlights.com HID conversion on my '06 660 headlights and I would imagine an LED bar would be more efficient. I also have 2 36" LED amber safety lightbars on the same rhino and it can power the 2 36" signals and the HID lights without issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2014 12:31:31 PM EDT by WrightP]
The Hog Killing Machine!

There are 3 40" LED's and I'm not going to lie, I have been stranded because someone turned it off and it sat with the lights on for a bit. If you are going with this many it might be a good idea to look at a second battery and/or larger alternator.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:41:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WrightP:
The Hog Killing Machine!

http://i.imgur.com/t41rsqUl.jpg

There are 3 40" LED's and I'm not going to lie, I have been stranded because someone turned it off and it sat with the lights on for a bit. If you are going with this many it might be a good idea to look at a second battery and/or larger alternator.
View Quote

Sweeeeet
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:53:32 PM EDT
Not a UTV but i have a 48" on my Blazer, this thing is bad ass. Just that one lightbar is brighter than my headlights, hi-beams, 8" KCs and 4" LED Pod lights.

The draw is minimal, esp. compared to the KCs.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:52:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WrightP:
The Hog Killing Machine!

http://i.imgur.com/t41rsqUl.jpg

View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:54:11 PM EDT
I can't believe i waited this long to put one of these on. It is literally a night and day difference. The Rhino lights up the night now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:56:50 PM EDT
Looking at one also. Probably something around 30"
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:00:11 PM EDT
Current draw is minimal....and they work great. I'm putting some bars on as trail lights for the Fuso.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:33:43 PM EDT
My 35" is around 17,000 lumens or so. It's bright as shit. It's fun for hauling ass around the ranch and scaring little animals and shit and night.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
Here is what my cheap ass 30" bar draws at an idle.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:19:33 AM EDT
I put a blue top optima in the rhino this week for when 50 shows up.

I'll post pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2014 12:28:14 AM EDT by M4wheeler]
Originally Posted By Brian86992:

OP, any LED light bar will draw a fraction of what the stock headlight do. You could wire one into a Power Wheels if you wanted to.

Personally, I have an allegiance to Rigid Industries. You will pay more but they are the only American made LED bars. Every other brand is a generic bar bought from a Chinese distributor then relabeled.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brian86992:

Looks like speakers.

Baja Designs > Rigid Ind.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/

ETA- BD is made in the USA as well
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:35:35 AM EDT
OP, you will be fine. The LED light bars draw very little juice.

My 40" on my Avalanche.

Top Top