Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:23:32 PM EST
im looking to buy my own home gym and am strongly considering just going with a good set of dumbells to keep my self toned. i have not lifted since graduating from college a year and a half ago. im more of a runner/triathelete than weight lifter. i lift to keep some muscle on my vbody as the look of a kenyan skeleton marathoner.
i was reading somewhere that dumbell lifting is better for runners annyways.
what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:31:39 PM EST
I use a combination, I use dumbells for two reasons,
1. Forces me to work each arm equally-I am right arm dominant and I will naturally work more with my right than with my left unless I work each arm independent.
2. I feel that working with dumbells strenghtens your tendons and ligaments ( and stabilizing tissues) more that with machines or barbells.

I run and bike alot and I don't have problems with flexibility or cramps but as for a scientific reason why or why not to use them, I don't have one. I just mix it up for better results.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:00:31 PM EST
dumbbells/barbells aren't sport-specific. Some random trainer probably said that to get more running clients.

I use a combo of both and go heavy with both. The DBs will help all of your stabilizer muscles and help everything work in conjunction better. I may be able to BP 315 for reps, but only do the 110 DBs for reps because of each weight being independent. Spend some time and get used to DBs before you go heavy.

Get both, use both. A great way to do it is with the selectable-weight dumbbells in conjunction with your flat bench. The Select-Tech (Soloflex, I think) is terribly expensive for the poundage, but the Power Blocks are pretty nice. A little bulky at the higher weights, but they're easier to change out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:47:54 AM EST
I bought a set of Ironmaster. We also have a set of Power Blocks. I like them both, but the IronMasters feel more like a gym dumbbell.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:58:44 AM EST
The only real advantage that barbells have over dumbells is that you can get 500 pounds on a barbell but you can't really get 250 pounds each on a pair of dumbells.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:31:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By AGW:

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
The only real advantage that barbells have over dumbells is that you can get 500 pounds on a barbell but you can't really get 250 pounds each on a pair of dumbells.

The only real advantage of a barbell is that you can actually perform the lifts necessary for strength and power. Besides that, yeah, looking symmetrical and being able to stuff them under your bed are great reasons to buy dumbbells.

We're saying the same thing. You can do squats, bench press, even the larger motions like cleans using dumbbells. But what's the point of a 200 pound squat?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:42:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:36:23 PM EST

We're saying the same thing. You can do squats, bench press, even the larger motions like cleans using dumbbells. But what's the point of a 200 pound squat?

I guess I'm saying dumbbells have no purpose.

no purpose? you don't do any isolation movements? No flyes? Alternating/incline curls? Military DB presses? DB Rows? Overhead Tricep extensions?

All are fine movements and anyone would benefit from them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:13:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:40:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By KrushR:

no purpose? you don't do any isolation movements? No flyes? Alternating/incline curls? Military DB presses? DB Rows? Overhead Tricep extensions?

No, I don't do any of those. I can't see myself truly benefiting from them either.

oh, one of those type "lifters". never mind then.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:18:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 9:35:14 PM EST by AGW]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:15:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By KrushR:

Isolation movements are for chumps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:57:16 PM EST
this thread makes my brain asplode.

I've heard of people being overly pro-dumbbell, but I've never heard of anyone being anti-dumbbell. I think the matrix needs to be rebooted.

I will concede that certain isolation movements like "concentration curls" are completely worthless.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:23:41 PM EST

I guess I'm saying dumbbells have no purpose...

No, I don't do any of those. I can't see myself truly benefiting from them either.

Now I see why Rik flew off the handle in the other thread.

Come on AGW, as the moderator I thought you would be a little more open.

The powerlifting crowd is getting a little elitest (although I don't know if any of you have totalled Elite ).

I just read an article on Elitefts.com talking about using dumbells to prevent/rehab shoulder injury. Matt Kroczaleski does his famous "Kroc" rows with dumbells. I think he would say dumbells have a purpose and is benefiting from them.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:46:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By nichcon:

The powerlifting crowd is getting a little elitest (although I don't know if any of you have totalled Elite ).

I just read an article on Elitefts.com talking about using dumbells to prevent/rehab shoulder injury. Matt Kroczaleski does his famous "Kroc" rows with dumbells. I think he would say dumbells have a purpose and is benefiting from them.

ah, you've opened my eyes. we have a "big three" crew on here? I should have researched and realized there were Olympic-type lifters, since they're usually anti-isolation. If it ain't a squat, DL or bench it's not a real exercise.

My totals are only around 1100, so I'm leaving thread now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:44:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By nichcon:

It isn't about being elitist. It is about focusing on total strength by doing rows, cleans, snatches, squats, dead lifts, beches and presses by stimulating the central nervous system by getting multiple muscle groups to work together as they do in a practical setting.

I did dumb bell shoulder presses for months with no progress until I started Rippetoe's 3X5 and my shoulder strength EXPLODED. Dumb bells *may* be the best thing for bench presses, but for everything else, barbells and kettle bells reign supreme.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:46:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 4:47:15 PM EST by AGW]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:20:31 PM EST
In true Ar15 fashion... get both!

Dumbells are good for certain things and barbells are good for others. In my opinion, a well designed program will use both. If you are concerned about adding muscle to your frame, concentrate on compound movements with heavy weights (barbells), fill in other lifts with dumbells.

As you have probably read on this forum, what you do outside the weightroom (eat/rest) is as important as what you do in it too.
Top Top