Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2005 10:02:38 AM EDT
a friend tells you his wife abuses the kids(has told you this on more then one occassion)

same friend says wifes friend called and said wife wants to kill him

Beyond a moral obligation, do you have any legal obligation?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Stop hitting your kids and why would you want to kill the hubby?
j/k of course.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Does this have to do with a babysitter?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

cause he spends too much on guns
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But your in kommifornia, they can't be that bad.
+1 Does this have to do with the babysitter thread?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does this have to do with a babysitter?

a babysitter? no there is no babysitter involved in this situation
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But your in kommifornia, they can't be that bad.
+1 Does this have to do with the babysitter thread?

Yes this is related to DrFrige's babysitter thread...but there is NO babysitter involved in either of these questions....
The friend who called the husband is not the babysitter, it is a different friend (I personally am shocked to learn she has more then one friend)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
a friend tells you his wife abuses the kids(has told you this on more then one occassion)

same friend says wifes friend called and said wife wants to kill him

Beyond a moral obligation, do you have any legal obligation?

In my state as a health professional I am obligated legally and the penalties can be stiff. Not sure about private citizens in Kali. Maybe an attorney will pop up soon. You don't really say what else you know about it all but if you have reason to believe it is true you should contact social services. I doubt the police will do anything about hearsay threats toworads the husband so I doubt I'd waste my time with that unless you hear her threaten him. Definitely an unpalatable situation to get involved in but the kids come first.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer your question: NO. You as a private citizen,are under no legal obligation to report any crime,wether it be a crime in progress,or a crime or alleged crime you may become aware of after the fact.
The only people under any legal obligation to report or act,are paid law enforcement officials.
You are also under no legal obligation to stop and render aid to any type of accident victim,or any type of aid to law enforcement officials.
The only time you may have an obligation,is if you are a doctor,nurse,or fireman or police official of some type.
But remember this,if you ever do decide to stop and render any type of aid,you can be sued by those you stop to help.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Call a lawyer.  It's not as simple as Apatriot makes it sound.  Calif. lists 37 separate classes of people required to report.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are a private citizen in CA you have no responsibility to protect potentially abused children or suicidal/homicidal adults by reporting them or calling police.

Certain professions are "mandated reporters" of child or elder abuse you run across in the course of your job.  That includes teachers, therapists, doctors, and film processors(!), IIRC.  Even then, it's unlikely they would be required to report suspected abuse if they came across it in their private life.

This is really a moral or ethical question for you, not a legal one.

You can report a crime or a suspected crime with no consequences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top