Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2001 10:04:21 AM EDT
I apologize for bringing up an old topic, but I'd like to know if I build an AR15 with an 80% lower casting what are the things I need to do to make it legal in Missouri.  Specifically are there forms or registrations to fill?  Can I use preban parts or pistol parts, especially if it dosen't need registration?  I don't want to break the law, I'm just curious if there are "advantages" to building with an 80% casting.  

All replies appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
THE 80% AR15 "CASTINGS I SELL CAN BE ONLY MADE INTO A "POST-BAN" TYPE AR15 RIFLE.

YOU MAY DESINATE IT A RILFE OR PISTOL LOWER, (BECAUSE YOUR THE MFG)
BUT IF YOU MAKE IT INTO A PISTIOL IT MUST BE WITH IN THE BATF REGS FOR A SEMI-AUTO PISTOL, OR YOU CAN MAKE IT A PUMP PISTOL WITH EVIL FEATURES ,

YOU CAN DO A FROM #1 AND MAKE A SBR AND PAY A 200.00 TAX BUT YOU MUST GET PROPER APPROVAL FROM THE BATF BEFORE YOU MAKE IT

I HOPE THIS IS ACCURATE AND IF ANY ONE ELSE CAN HELP OUT HERE THEN BY ALL MEANS POST!

WILLAIM

REMEMBER (POST-BAN ONLY) AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER IT OR SER# IT
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the 1911's made from 80% castings legal?  Do they have to be registered?  How much milling/filing/drilling is involved in the 1911 frames?
Thanks.
[sleep]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
And don't forget that the 11% excise tax is due on sale or first use of the rifle assembled from the receiver, whichever occurs first.  You, as the manufacturer, pay the tax.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Dave G,

1.  Who do I pay the excise tax to?  Do I get a form from IRS?  from ATF?

2.  11% of what?  Cost of the unfinished AR15 stripped lower or 1911 frame?  Cost of all the parts?  Cost of any professional gunsmithing?  Estimated resale value?

Thanks.
[sleep]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Only licensed mfg pay the excise tax - persons who build firearms for their personal use, with no intent to resell do not incur the excise tax.  Similar to the way home brewers don't have to pay excise tax on their homemade beer.

If you're making more than some number per year, or making with the intent to sell your end product, you MUST have a type 07 FFL (mfg) to be legal, and if you've got one, you'll know where to send your excise tax.

The 11% (long guns) or 10% (handguns) is based on the first sale price when the gun leaves the mfg.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faqfatax.htm#tax4[/url]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Circuits,
What source(s) do you base your statements on?
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Circuits,
I believe you are correct!  Look at: [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr53.htm[/url]

Sec. 53.112(b) states:  
Personal use. The tax on use of a taxable article does not attach in cases where an individual incidentially manufacturers, produces, or imports a taxable article for his personal use or causes a taxable article to be manufactured, produced, or imported for his personal use.

[beer]
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
WHAT CIRCUITS SAID IS TRUE TO MY KNOWLDGE TOO!

WILLAIM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top