Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 4:28:00 PM EDT
At work I had my "mid year review" and they (sears "assholes") asked me to place my signature on several documents.  I asked for copies of all of them, and was told that they could not copy one of the documents.  Told me that I had to sign it to continue working there,  but they would not copy it for me.  Signed it, because I cant afford to go thru a rapid employment termination right now.
What do you think?  Am I entitled to a copy?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
what was it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It was simply a list of different catagories and how I was ranked by my dept supr. on a scale of 1-5.  Not like its confidential company information or anything.  He probably dosnt want to give out a copy of it because he was a real dick for my evaluation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think I'd ever sign something that I couldn't have a copy of...you're not working for the CIA, NSA or Secret Service.

HH
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just love to find some law that entitles me to a copy of it, and take that law in there and push it in his face.  Sears HATES legal beagles, and they are not allowed to retaliate against such an action.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
tag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he is supposed to give you a copy of the work evaluation.  I always gave my guys a copy when it came time for me to evaluate them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Most companies have a policy that you can have a copy of anything you sign.

That's the good news.

The bad news is it's just policy, and if your manager decides to break policy, he probably can.  

In any case you can call HR and ask for a copy if that is the policy.  That will get you a copy, or indicate to HR that he has not turned his input in.  That then stirs the pot as to why he hasn't turned yours (or however many) in.  Beside if it is as bad as you say, and he doesn't like you, he undobutedly will turn it in, afterall if he is shitting on you, it doesn't matter if it never plops down does it?

Sounds like you don't like working for him or there.  Why don't you grow a pair and find another job?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Write to yoru HR department asking for a copy of all documents in your peronal file and cite the Freedom Of Information.  I used to do this after an interview if I didn't get the job.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't want to work for this guy anymore, do you?    

Sometimes you just have to look them in their eye and not give ground. Or take the offensive.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a full time student in addition to working 20+ hours at Sears.  I have resumes out, and I have also applied to do substitute teaching, but right now I have nothing beyond Sears.  I wish I had the time to hit the street and find another job, but between work, school, keeping the house in order, and taking care of my schoolwork, I dont have much time.
Anyone here management for Sears?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am a full time student in addition to working 20+ hours at Sears.  I have resumes out, and I have also applied to do substitute teaching, but right now I have nothing beyond Sears.  I wish I had the time to hit the street and find another job, but between work, school, keeping the house in order, and taking care of my schoolwork, I dont have much time.

Home Depot.

Lowe's.

Tell Sears to pound sand once you get the offer from one of the others.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
There's no general principle of law that would entitle you to a copy of the document. There may be a state appellate decision or statute that confers or recognizes such a right, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have applications in at both locations.  I have interviewed at Lowes in the past, with poor results.  The local branch has a pretty slow HR dept, they said that within 4-6 weeks my background check would come back, at which time my employment could be finalized.  Sears started me training within a week of the submission of my application.
I cant afford to be out of a job, if I quit now, I would probably be unemployed for at least one week, which would put me at least $75 in the hole for bills.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I believe the saying will be "Lick my asshole, bitch"
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
At work I had my "mid year review" and they (sears "assholes") asked me to place my signature on several documents.  I asked for copies of all of them, and was told that they could not copy one of the documents.  Told me that I had to sign it to continue working there,  but they would not copy it for me.  Signed it, because I cant afford to go thru a rapid employment termination right now.

you are entitled to death.  You are entitled to be taxed before death.  those are your entitlements.  You are an "at will" employee.......If you are looking for labor union empathizers, they are over there --->   DU

Sorry you got treated that way, but I know of no legal "entitlement" (I hate that word) to that document.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are entitled to death.  You are entitled to be taxed before death.  those are your entitlements.  You are an "at will" employee.......If you are looking for labor union empathizers, they are over there --->   DU

Wow, remind me to not ask for your opinion next time.  Im not asking for some great all-powerful union to protect college kids with shitty jobs.  Just asking if I am entitled to something which should be a basic right.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow, remind me to not ask for your opinion next time.  Im not asking for some great all-powerful union to protect college kids with shitty jobs.  Just asking if I am entitled to something which should be a basic right.

OK -- Did you not get an employee handbook (or is one not available in the store office)?

Read it.

There should be something there, explaining what rights you do have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have never heard of any company that would deny an employee a copy of an evaluation report that he signed.  The employee is immediately given a copy so that the supervisor will not have the temptation to add to or alter the document after the employee leaves.  After all, the employee signed a document saying he was aware of the information written on the document.  The employee does not necessarily have to agree with it, and may or may not, but must be made aware of it.

My company not only immediately gives a copy of the handwritten eval, but when it is typed up, our employees will receive a copy of that as well.  Not only that, we may ask to see our personell records.

Contact your Human Resources department immediately.  Tell them you were asked to sign it, and you are very uncomfortable about being denied a copy.  Further, tell them (and follow up with a an acutal letter, not an email, sent registered mail, to HR, that you are formally requesting a copy at this time.

Do not worry about "repercussions," possibly being fired.  If the supervisor were going to add additional good things to your eval, he would have done it then, in front of you, and congratulated you for being a good employee.  If he is going to add not so complimentary things out of your eyesight, you don't have a future there anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You practice Michigan employment law?

Sorry you got treated that way, but I know of no legal "entitlement" (I hate that word) to that document.

Reading the Constitution must be an ordeal for you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Write to yoru HR department asking for a copy of all documents in your peronal file and cite the Freedom Of Information.  I used to do this after an interview if I didn't get the job.  

The Freedom of Information Act only applies to Federal government records.  It has no standing as far as private industry goes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You ever get anything other than a boilerplate "We hired somebody else with better qualifications." letter?  Any HR group even hardly barely minimally worth it's salt would die laughing and then throw your FOIA request in the trash.  One of the first things a recruiter and hopefully interviewers and managers are told is to never ever ever tell anybody why they didn't get hired.  All that does is cause a round of phone calls or letters bemoaning the fact that the interviewer didn't ask the right questions, you had that experience but didn't know they were interested etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
MOST DEFINITELY!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home Depot.

Lowe's.

+1 I quit sears when I decided to enlist (and drop out of college for now) but all of the good employees that knew stuff were heading to Lowes and Home Depot.  Sears made you dress up more, gave too much shit and paid about 2/3 what Lowes and Home Depot do... (roughly 6-7/hr vs 9/10/hr)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
.......If you are looking for labor union empathizers, they are over there --->   DU

Don't be so quick to presume to speak for everyone. Some of us here are very pro-union, even if you are not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top