Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2002 4:47:05 PM EDT
any of you who live in AZ can back me up on this:
no one on the road out here understands that the right lane is the slow lane.  i swear to god that i always drive in the right lane and travel faster than anyone else.  arizona has become bizzaro world, left=slow, right=fast.  even with people turning right the right lane moves faster!  no one uses their damn indicators, people brake to f**king early and too often, i call the free-ways "brake-ways" and there is constant construction of roads that are not more than 10 years old!  i go to california and the traffic is almost nonexistent!  
any tanks for sale out there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Traffic sucks in NC, GA, TN, VA, SC, and FL also. I read somewhere that there is a russian T-34 for sale somewhere in canada. also there is a half track for sale on ebay. comes with a 50 cal
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You could move to Prescott, and deal with the snowbirds, and tourists..
I just drive to get home, not to make a schedule..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Your drivers could not be any worse than the dumb butts in Madison, Jackson and Banks counties in NEGA. I call them left lane lizzies. They leave Wal Mart on a 4-lane and get in the left lane because they have to turn left in 5 miles and totally ignore the slow traffic keep right signs. By the way they usually drive 45 in a 55 also.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
a t34? hmmmmm
na, too slow. but that would be fun during snowbird season:

michigan...crunch
iowa.....crunch
illinios...crunch
minnesota....crunch

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's the natural progression of traffic.  Exact same behavior in the bay area.  Those who think that 10 over is "fast" park in the left lanes.  Occaisionally, someone who has one foot in the grave will be in the right lane going half the posted speed limit, causing everyone who is afraid of changing lanes to not be there.  This means that the right lane is only used for getting on and off the freeway
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The left lane is correctly called the passing lane.  No one has any business in it except to pass a slower moving vehicle in the right lane.  If the slower moving vehicle is already going the speed limit, you technically don't have any business passing them right?  

Now we all know that's not how it really works, right?  

Here's a good one.  I was crusing down the Interstate in my marked police unit on the way to a call.  I was in the left lane going about 10 over the speed limit as the call was something I needed to get to quickly, but not that quickly.  I look in my rearview mirror and notice a vehicle tailgating my vehicle.  About this time I get a radio dispatch that the call has been taken care of by another officer.  

Now it's time for fun.  I pulled into the right lane as soon as traffic allowed and slowed down to the speed limit.  As this fool blows right by I notice that the vehicle has a Texas plate.  Double bonus.  I stopped the vehicle and asked the lady why she was tailgating a police vehicle.  She said I was driving too slow and that slower moving traffic is supposed to yield to the right.  As I wrote her up for speeding and following too close I told her " Yes ma'am that is correct except that slower moving means below the speed limit and a vehicle yielding to the right doesn't give one a right to violate the speed limit."  I also cationed her that passing a police vehicle over the spped limit is just a bad idea in Texas or any other state.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
In Florida, They put these nice little signs that say "Slower traffic keep right" on the RIGHT-HAND side of the road.  Too bad the idiots in the fast-lane going slow can't see them. How about putting them where they would actually do some good!!!!

Edited to add:  These days if you come up behind someone and flash your lights you are considered an aggressive driver.

I wish Driver's Education was more than Defensive Driving Education!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Where would you suggest putting them???????? I suspect that most people don't read signs anyway, so what difference does it make??
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest putting them in the median next to the left(fast)-lane. Geeesh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Been there seen that.   Left lane being the number 1 lane and all lanes moving to the right following a numerical pattern, it's not uncommon for me to see IDIOTS passing in the number 4 lane that is the "trucking" lane.

I'm usually in the no2 lane driving at about 5mph over the speed limit, around here on the freeways that's 75mph.   I leave the number 1 lane for people either as a passing lane for moving around slower traffic or for people to pass me.

But every once in awhile I get some MORON who comes up on me in the no2 lane and will ride my bumper, I'll mess with them to see what it takes to get them to pass me and what I've found is that these FOOLS will almost always pass me on the right.    What really starts to get my goat is when they pass me and drive off down the road to get back in the no2 lane only for me to come back on their bumper about 10 minutes later, then it's ME who has to pass them but atleast I pass on the left side.    Ofcourse about 10 minutes later they are on my bumper again and won't pass on the left, always the right it is with these morons.   This time I play a little game with them, typically the traffic is just busy enough so that cars will always be present.   As they go to pass me at a typical cruising speed I'll match their speed keeping them just behind my passenger side rear tire, as we come up on the next car that is usually in the lane to the right of me they will hop over one more lane to the right to pass that car and with me being ahead of them I will pass the car before them.  Upon me passing that car I'll make a lane change into the right lane, now I've moved from the no2 lane to the no3 lane and the beauty of it is that the car that has been habitually passing on the right is now stuck in the number 4 lane with the trucks and if traffic is working correctly I'll have them slowed down to 55mph, usually I can do this in a pretty subtle manner so where it looks like I'm doing a lane change to get off at an off ramp.

It's pretty funny on the few times I've done it to people who just seem to have no driving common sense or ability to drive consistently.

I also HATE the people who sit in the no1 lane and refuse to either pass or move out of the way of faster traffic, these are the people that have likely caused the morons to take to passing on the right or using the trucking lane as a fast lane.    I love coming up on a LONG string of 10-12 cars all in the fast lane due to some IDIOT who's wheel to wheel with another car in the no2 lane and both of them are going even with the speed limit or slightly under, it takes FOREVER for these people to pull their heads out and do the right thing by getting out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
uglygun said:

I also HATE the people who sit in the no1 lane and refuse to either pass or move out of the way of faster traffic, these are the people that have likely caused the morons to take to passing on the right or using the trucking lane as a fast lane. I love coming up on a LONG string of 10-12 cars all in the fast lane due to some IDIOT who's wheel to wheel with another car in the no2 lane and both of them are going even with the speed limit or slightly under, it takes FOREVER for these people to pull their heads out and do the right thing by getting out of the way.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Pet Peeves:

1) People who can't keep a steady speed
2) People that will go as fast or as slow as they please in whatever lane they please.
3) People who think they have a right to speed, ie they come flying up behind you then park themselves 4' from your back bumper.
4) People who on a basically empty road come flying up behind you, wait to the last second, swerve around you pass, then swerve back into your lane wthin inches of the front of your car, c'mon it's an empty multi-lane road.
5) People that get comfortable in your blind spot.
6) People who accelerate like their car's gas pedal is broke and must be gingerly touched. As well as starting to stop an inordinate distance away from stop sign, signals, or traffic. But who get going 20 over the speed limit, albiet some distance from where the started from. Do you think they would be able to swerve or apply the brakes forcefully in an emergency?????? the answer is NO
7) People in traffice that get up on the ass of the car in front of them, and the only way they adjust their following distance is to apply the brakes forcefully to slow down 3 mph......
8) People who tap their brakes for no reason. Look, brakes are for stopping if you ain't stopping leave them alone. If you need to slow down 5 mph...... 1) plan ahead 2) lift you foot of the gas.........
9) People who drive with restricted vision, ie Head up ass.
10) People who don't use 1) turn signal 2) side view and rear view mirrors 3) speedometer
11) People who do anything other then pulll to the right and stop when approached by an emergency vehicle, and that means before the cop, paramedic, or firefighter driving the emergency vehicle has to slow for your stupid ass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would suggest putting them in the median next to the left(fast)-lane. Geeesh.
View Quote

my point is if you put them in the lane at windshield height there would still be a lot of people saying "I didn't see the sign".........
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
If you ever watch it, on "World's Wildest Police Videos" with Asshole Bunnell as commentator, that even with a high speed chase with all kinds of blue lights coming up behind them, these idiots STILL won't get out of the left lane.  What dolts!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
OLY-M4gery, I've disagreed with some of your posts before, but this time, you're right.  100% right.

I went to a senior citizen defensive driving class (yuck) with my wife to get a discount on our car insurance.  The idiot instructor told us to slow down when we think someone is driving too close behind us.  Does that sound like a good idea?  He also stressed how important it was to get into the correct lane as soon as possible.  Thus, onehole's "get in the left lane because they have to turn left in 5 miles" comment.  He also said because our reaction time is increasing, we need to hit the brakes before we think we need to.  Huh?  He strongly suggested that when pulling-out and turning right, we don't accelerate until we get the car turned completely into the lane.  Ever wonder why some people just don't hit the gas after pulling-out in front of you?  They're waiting until they get completely in the lane, as they were instructed.  I felt like a worse driver for just having listened to that idiot for three hours.  It was worth our time money-wise for the discount, but it really was worthless safety-wise.z

PS:  I'm not trying to knock older drivers.  My mother learned how to drive when she was in her late 70's and drove until her mid 90's.  She never had an accident despite driving 20,000+ miles per year!  The only tickets she received were for speeding.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The one thing I would add to this is that the best drivers on the open roads are the semis. They seem to be just about the only ones who understand how you are supposed to pass someone. It always annoys me to be on a 2-lane highway, and someone in the left lant is going like 10 mph faster then someone in the right, but just as they come alongside, they slow to like .001 mph faster, thus taking like 10 minutes to pass. Of course, right after they pass, they speed up again. Aargh. Then there's the people who just sit in the leftmost lane forever doing the speed limit, forcing everyone to pass on the right.

Luckily, I don't have to see this stuff too often as I ride my bike to class/work. So relaxing to not have to contend with traffic and parking...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
In Colorado if you are in the left lane and driving the speed limit you can get a ticket for impeading traffic. (but yet get one for driving over the speed limit). Not in all Colo. but the denver area. If you are going with the flow of traffic they usually don't bother you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You could move to Prescott, and deal with the snowbirds, and tourists..
I just drive to get home, not to make a schedule..
Meplat-
View Quote

... Shit. Last few times I drove to Prescott I got jammed up in gridlock!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
What are you guys complaining about. If traffic bothers you that much, take the damn bus... and sit in the back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Crap, crap, crap. . . .

I came about three feet from rear-ending some moron tonight.  She was in the right lane, but it was dark, raining, dim, and she was doing about 40 on a 60mph road.  A fast lane change got me around her.

Twenty minutes later, another bimbo decides to switch across two lanes just so she can drive 50mph in the left lane of another 60mph road, just in front of me.

Can I own a DD in Washington state??  A nice 20mm chain-gun, say?  Mounted on my car?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#22]
You know what? A lot of Washington drivers [b]CAN [u]NOT[/u] DRIVE IN THE [i]RAIN[/i]![/b][>(]

Personally, I'm particularly fond of drivers who "team up" to form a slow-moving lane blockade so the drivers behind them can't go by. For safety's (There's that *&$^%# word again) sake. Love that.

Also love it when people slow down to gawk at a roadside incident - like when someone's changing a tire. If you're not slowing down to watch someone change his friggin' tire, then you're not livin' life to the fullest, by gawd.

Curve in the road? Brake!

Oh, and don't forget to slow down when approaching tunnels. After all, you have to [i]drive through[/i] those things!

The horror[:O]
The horror[:O]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
All I know is I want to know where to get one of those licences that allows you to Ignore speed limits, Pass on the inside , use the shoulder to avoid traffic jams, cross solid white lines,pass lines of traffic either exiting or entering the highway on the shoulder or median then cut in the front of the line or turn from the wrong lane to avoid waiting in traffic with the unimportant people. they must give em out at BMW dealerships cause they always seem to have them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep, since they all came from Kalifornistan anyways..
They also can't drive in the snow or when the sun is shining.

One thing I will not do is play "games" with anyone on the freeway. You want to pass me, I'll let you by. You are going too slow, I'll find a safe place to pass. You want to play games with me, I'll duck off the freeway as you pass me by.

For the most part I like to think the NRA and Gun Owners of America stickers on the back of the truck do a little bit of communication to those behind me.

"Master_Blaster: You know what? A lot of Washington drivers CAN NOT DRIVE IN THE RAIN!"

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys should buy yourself a motorcycle!!

Ever hear of Lane splitting??

Meaning, driving down the dotted line between two dumbasses that are travelling at the same speed. And believe it or not, I'm quite certain it's legal in some areas.

Also, a motorcycle needs less physical space to pass some idiot that speeds by the guy on the right, but as soon as he gets 10 feet ahead of him  he slows down. (8 feet, versus, 20 feet??)
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#26]
One thing that is amazing about Kalifonicastan is the fact that lane sharing (not lane splitting) is legal on the freeways.
I used to drive to NAS North Island everyday from North County San Diego, and if it was not raining I would lane share all the way.
Even more amazing is the fact that about 70% of the drivers would give you the right of way. Best tip for lane sharing? Watch the persons HEAD, 99.9% of the brain dead cagers will steer where they look, even if they don't want to.

CHP on Lane "Splitting":
Q: Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
A: Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
[url]http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html[/url]

Ca DMV on Lane "Sharing":
Sharing lanes
Sharing lanes is not illegal in
California.
[url]http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl655mcycle.pdf[/url]

What a whacky state!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank God!   I was feeling like I am the only person in the whole world who gets pissed at the f****ng guy yhat comes up at 80mph, goes by you as you are closing with the one ahead of you in your lane, then SLOWS DOWN ALONGSIDE OF THEM TO FORM A MOVING ROADBLOCK.  I cruise at 5 over, city street, hughway, freeway, whatever, and always use the cruise control unless it's snowy, etc.  I maintain a steady speed, and can't stand passing someone, then them passing me back, then having them pass me, then they block me off so I have to kick the cruise control off.  ARGGGGHHHH!!!!!.  Fucking DIE you IDIOT!!!!!  And the MINIVANS!!!  ARGGGHHHH!  They are always in my way, except a couple days ago we had snow that melted then froze as ice on the roads, then snow on top, and they couldn't pass me fast enough.

And I hear you about the drivers that seem afraid of the gas pedal, but 10 minutes after you have FINALLY gotten around them, then set your cruise control, they whiz by you....ONLY TO JAM YOU IN TRAFFIC AGAIN!!!!    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I better go fix me another booze......I am getting hyper.

FUCKING MORONS!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#28]
levi wrote:
What are you guys complaining about. If traffic bothers you that much, take the damn bus... and sit in the back.
View Quote

Earth to levi.....come in please!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top