Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:08:17 PM EDT
I want  to get my eyes fixed. I went to consultation today and have a appointment to do the pre op in a couple of weeks.

So how was your experience?
How well did it  correct your vision.
Did anyone have to go back and do a coorection after it healed?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I had RPK through the military(free)

Recovery was 4 days bed rest and on the 10th day I had 20-20 r eye and 20-15 left eye.

After 1 yr I have no issues.

With lasiK your reocovery will be less than a day and you should have perfect vision that day or a couple of days.

Do it!!! it will be the best thing you ever did. After 34 yrs of glasses it was quite a liberating experience

FREE
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm working on getting my eyes done, as my perscription has not stabilized yet.   And I'll tell you, THE engineer/designer of the system had his eyes done.  He went from .25" thick glasses to better than 20/20 vision.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I died.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]

y wife has had both eyes done for "floaters" with excellant results.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience could not have been better.  No side effects that I can detect.  I went from 20/400 to 20/20 in about 15 hours, 20/15+ in a week.

It is the best $2000 that I have ever spent...

Do your research on available surgeons in your area.

The procedure itself is creepy as hell...you will smell your eyeballs burning....smells like burnt hair.

My only side-effect is that sometimes I will have dreams that my vision resorts to its former state and I get a great sense of relief when I wake up and everything is fine.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Liar.

Quoted:
I died.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I did it and like it!  Git 'er Done, you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
5  years and no problems
20/20

But I did have night halos for about 1 year -- they did go away

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Why do most eye doctors still wear eyeglasses
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on having one of these done in the future.
Nor for shooting, or glasses cost. I want to see my damn alarm clock in the morning.

Quoted:
Liar.

I got better.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Got mine done about 2 yrs ago. I couldn't be happier. 20/15 in both eyes.  It takes a bit of getting used to afterwards. Using iron sights on a rifle was a little strange getting used to afterwards. The front sight was so sharp looking.

Use the eye drops liberally when your eyes feel just a touch dry.
I used one of the high dollar eye docs in Knoxville Tn. It was money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
just went for my 3 month checkup and I am 20/15 almost 20/10, the very best money I have spent except for my LMT MRP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why do most eye doctors still wear eyeglasseshr

Good question.  Because LASIK will not correct the "natural" need for reading glasses when one reaches approx. 40 years old.

I had LASIK 5 years ago, it's been absolutely fantastic.  No regrets.  Your doctor should advise you that you will need glasses for reading eventually, LASIK or not.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine eyes are good after 3 years.  My right eye, that was around 20/600 or something ridiculous like that, loses some focus in low light situations.  That kind of sucks because I like to bowhunt, but it's not bad enough to keep me from shooting.  All in all it was definitely worth it.  In bright light, I am 20/15 in both eyes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
My LASIK results were not as good. Its been 2 years and I still suffer from dry eyes all the time. They got the right eye perfect, but the left is not sharply focused and has glare at night. I will need to have the left corrected, but I'm not letting the same outfit (Emory) do it. I'm now looking for the very best doctor + technology to fix my left eye. On the plus side, I don't need glasses/contacts for anything anymore including reading (yet).

Greyghost: what procedure was done for floaters? LASIK does not affect them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why do most eye doctors still wear eyeglasses

They sell them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
20/200 vision six years ago.  Had lasik and I still have 20/20 today.  I HIGHLY recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I had it done about a year ago, and everything has been fine. My eyes were about 20/400 before and are now both 20/20.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Something like this.....

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I died.

R.I.P. Spade

1988-2004

"As his eyeballs burned he thought only of his beloved country."

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
LASIK for me can be compared to the story in the bible of Jesus rubbing mud in the blind man's eyes and he can see again.  Truly a profound experience for someone who wore glasses since the first grade.  Went from 20/400 to 20/20 in 24 hours.  If they offer the sedative, take it--you can go home and nap so you can give your eyes a rest.

The night halos will go away or your brain will learn to delete them.

The newest LASIK procedure is super clean and does not smell like burning eyeballs.  If you're in the Albuquerque NM area, consider seeing Dr. Stephen Coleman, he is the best. Coleman Vision

Good luck.  Just remember, if your vision is awful, it will improve a lot.  If your vision is only 20/60 or better, the improvement will be very minor and not always worth it.  

Sorry if this rambles.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#22]
my vision is 1.5 in one eye and 1.25 in the other. don't know how that comes out to in 20 vision lingo. I mainly wear glasses and contact for the sharpness and the long range vision.

The company i am going to is offer a 299 per eye special.

seem hard to beat as I pay a hundred every year to get contacts
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be very careful for some place that does it for 299, I was told the cheaper the operation the less they calibrate the laser, mine was 4500 and they calibrate it between each patient.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Lasik vision institute.they seem to have offices all over the country.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I had my done over a year ago. It truly is one of the best things a person who has been handicapped with glasses can do. The only negative is that my eyes do get "dry" when i don't get a full nights sleep; a few drops in the morning when I get up and all is well for the rest of the day. Post op vision is 20/10 in each eye independant-the quality of vision is magnificent. I can't really describe it, pre-op I was correctable to 20/10 using both eyes, but my vision was never so "vibrant".  

Be aware that results vary, my results, as many others in this thread, have been outstanding; but not everyone gets perfection or better (if 20/20 is perfect). Definitely get the "mapping" method where they map your eye with light to fine tune the surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Slade in Houston-he did the first ever lasik in the USA and participates in all the FDA testing, world renown for his epertise. I read where he has operated on thousand of eye doctors eyes, and that says something. He is a little more expensive than many, but well worth it considering you only have one set of eyes. Also know that although many insurances do not cover the procedure, many doctors will reduce the fee by $1000 if you are a participant in a large insurance program (VISX). Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#27]
READ THIS
Im glad everyone elses eyes turned out great.

I had LASIK 3 years ago. The first time the fix was good in the right eye, but not so good in the left. Since im left handed, left eye dominant, it drove me nuts. It was like having one contact in and one out. 11 mos. later i had a correction. now its much better. For about a year I had terrible Halo and starburst at night. It is much better now, but still noticeable. I occasionaly have dry eyes, which is similar to wearing old contacts. Also i have a Ghost effect. If I look at a sharp edge, like a roofline ( or front sight post ) i see a "shadow" above the edge. Eye charts put me at 20/25 if i squint. overall my max vision is not nearly as good as it was with glasses.This is not to talk you out of LASIK. I dont want to be greedy and ask for "perfect"  vision. i would still do it again. No fogging, no keeping up w/glasses or contacts, being able to see the alarm clock at night...... Just be aware that there may be some trade offs. I hope it works well for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Surgery took all but 5min. total.  I see better than 20/20 in both eyes.  No night haloes.  No pain.  Vision was clear less than 3 hours from surgery.  It's been over 3 years and I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Any pilots here have it done? I am real worried about fucking up my night vision. I have been wearing contacts for about 14 years, so I am used to them.....I might just wait another year or two. I cant have Halos in my vision.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]
For all those that said it was the greatest thing... I whole-heartedly agree.  Almost 5 years for me.  Went from 20/200 left and 20/70 right to a little better than 20/20 for both.  First thig I bought was a nice pair of Nike Interchangeables because FL requires eye protection for motorcyclists.  I was out and about the next day and riding my bike within a week.  My main recommendation is that you follow the Dr.'s orders after the procedure.

And yes, you can smell your eye lens burning.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife had HORRIBLE vision...they equated it to 20/2000 or something like that (-14 correction). The Dr. said she was the upper limit and she was a perfect poster for them! Started at a little better than 20/20 regressed to 20/40.  She had a touch up to each eye and now sees 20/20...even after being pregnant (which they said could affect her vision).  Do the large correction, she had night halos for a long time so I drove at night and shes a teacher so no big deal.  She did have very dry eyes and needed to use the rewetting drops a lot. Halos and dryness are much better now (3+ years or so) and she is extremely glad she did it....
Now if I could only work up the money and courage....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Had mine done in August.  Went from about 20/400 with major astigmatism in both eyes.  When I went for my one month check up I was about 20/30 in both eyes.

It's awesome, easy, and painless.  I do have the halos and starbursts but that was to be expected.  No problems with dry eyes or anything else.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
my vision is 1.5 in one eye and 1.25 in the other. don't know how that comes out to in 20 vision lingo. I mainly wear glasses and contact for the sharpness and the long range vision.

STOP!!!!

DON'T USE THAT DOCTOR!!!

Sorry to yell, but that is too lowball for good quality surgery.  I just had LASIK and paid about $4800 for both eyes.  I had it done at Saddleback Eye Center in Orange County, California, so it may be higher due to the region of the country.  

Do more checking before you commit.  Be careful.

ETA: Went from about 20/200 to 20/15 both eyes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Any pilots here have it done? I am real worried about fucking up my night vision. I have been wearing contacts for about 14 years, so I am used to them.....I might just wait another year or two. I cant have Halos in my vision.

Sure you can.  If it turns out like mine did, you can see sharply right throught the halos.  They dminish over time, and the main cure for them is eye drops.  Only use Refresh Liquigel.  It's the best.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

STOP!!!!

DON'T USE THAT DOCTOR!!!

Sorry to yell, but that is too lowball for good quality surgery.  I just had LASIK and paid about $4800 for both eyes.  I had it done at Saddleback Eye Center in Orange County, California, so it may be higher due to the region of the country.  

Do more checking before you commit.  Be careful.

ETA: Went from about 20/200 to 20/15 both eyes.

Those $300 specials are just to get people in the door, and only those who really don't need it (usually at 20/30).  I went in for that, but since my vision wasn't that good, I ended paying $899/eye (after 10% discount).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Well if I ever start going blind, looks like a good option
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]
A few of my freinds went to this company and hade it done. They have had no negative effects. There seems to be quite a bit of competition up in my area. The catch about the 299 is that your vision ahd to be with certain guidelines. Basiclly the worst your vision the more you paid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure you can.  If it turns out like mine did, you can see sharply right throught the halos.  They dminish over time, and the main cure for them is eye drops.  Only use Refresh Liquigel.  It's the best.

Thanks. That does make me feel better.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Those $300 specials are just to get people in the door, and only those who really don't need it (usually at 20/30).  I went in for that, but since my vision wasn't that good, I ended paying $899/eye (after
10% discount).

If you're happy, that's great, and I don't mean to talk your deal down at all.  But...

I believe those deals are bad news.  LASIK is LASIK, no matter how much correction is applied.  The price should be fixed and not subject to increases based on correction.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I know soeone who had it done in Canada, & something went wrong during the procedure (Don't know what it was). She's now legally blind.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#41]

I know soeone who had it done in Canada, & something went wrong during the procedure (Don't know what it was). She's now legally blind.
In other words, hurry up and get it done before Kerry gets elected and 'fixes' health care!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top