Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2001 5:22:52 AM EDT
well thanks, i found a good knife that i want and now i only have to pick which type of sheath i want.

kydex or leather.

pro's and con's of both. your opinions please.

i plan to wear this on a seperate "tactical" belt. not my pants belt. if i can rig it up, i would also like a leg strap so it won't flap around when i'm running.

help if you can.

OffRoad

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If you will be exposing the knife to wet or damp environments for prolonged periods then go for a kydex or nylon sheath.  K-Bar sheaths are infamous for falling apart.  I would council against a leg strap.  If you are average height you should'nt need to strap it down and if you are really short you can get a kydex hi ride sheath.  Leg straps just hang up on stuff and pull your belt & pants down.  Also, for the best access to your knife and other things on your belt (ie. holster, mag pouches, canteens)
you will probably find the best place to put the knife is just off the back of the hip and the leg strap will bind things up.  If you are just going to use/wear the knife in good or dry weather the issue leather sheath should serve you well.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A Kydex sheath came with my Cold Steel Recon Tanto. I like it but the Kydex is heavily stitched to nylon fabric for the attachment point to the belt. The top piece of woven nylon that snaps around the handle is ripping. The stitching will rip if you sit/lean/fall on it wrong. It seems to me the Achilles heel of a Kydex sheath is the meeting point between hard plastic and soft nylon fabric and the stitching therein. I've seen plenty of leather sheaths that are just reinforced with 90MPH tape and keep going. I've had the same EMT leather scissor holder for 12 years now and its never fallen apart.

I'd go to leather if they made one for my knife.

Sherm
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
90 mph is just duct tape right? that would work, but look kind of cheap.

i could reinforce the kydex to nylon part with indutrial staples...

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Try this site for a great Concealex sheath. http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey offRoad, go to your local surplus store and ask them if they've got any "gun tape" in stock (any self respecting surplus store should have some).  That's the 90MPH tape that sherm8404 is referring to.  It does do a great job at preventing straps from coming undone and it is OD green (unlike the grey duct tape that you're considering).  Unfortunately, you'll have to get it from a surplus store 'cus the last time I checked Canadian Tire doesn't carry it...

hsld.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I found this in the Brigade Quartermasters(800/338-4327, [url]www.actiongear.com[/url]) fall preview catalog catalog 60 2001 p18:
KA-BAR EAGLE SHEATH
Tough, Light, Quiet, Safe, Versatile
Features ballistic nylon/nylon webbing construction with molded blade insert for a firm hold and quiet carry.  A Velcro lined belt loop with nap closure allows easy attachment to web belt.  Multiple tie down/attachment options.  Includes large utility pouch for essential field items.  Fits Ka-Bar models 1211, 1212, 1217, 1218, 1220, 1221, 1222, & 1270. Black. 1lb. KB8016, KA BAR Sheath $34.95
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
RAF
Since I have some custom made shealths from Cutlery Shoppe (made about 8 or so years ago) and I needed a new shealth for my Ka-Bar I carry on my Deuce Gear.  I called the on Friday, to see if they still made shealths, they don't.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
sherm......the kydex recon I got is not stitched
it has 2 screws holding the kydex to the nylon..
i just threw the nylon belt loop thingey away
because my tanto it is secured between thigh & holster it doesn't flop around...........
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top