Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 1:03:04 PM EST
250 gallons @ 3.82$/ gal.

Fuck.

Should I consider switching to something else next year?

I have a big, old oil furnace down stairs and ducting down AMD up stairs. Windows are okay, butdoors are a bit drafty. About 1600 ft2

Dosnt get super cold here, but wife gets ice cold anyway.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:05:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:05:38 PM EST by itstock]
You pretty much have the most expensive form of heating. Anything would be better.

Do you have NG?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:05:50 PM EST
Yeah, Mobey can be a dick!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:06:26 PM EST
been spending mine on gas for the car...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:06:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By itstock:
You pretty much have the most expensive form of heating. Anything would be better.

Do you have NG?

No NG. They said they couldnt get it to my area.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:06:59 PM EST
Oh teh noes!!! Not all the mobey!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:07:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By patchouli:

Do you have NG?

jeez, are they charging you road tax?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:08:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:09:16 PM EST

Do you have NG?

What is the depth/cost for Geothermal around your parts?

All electric/heat pump would be better than oil, especially modern. It's no NG in extreme cold, but still cheaper than oil.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:09:20 PM EST
Oil heat is expensive.
I pay less than your $1000 to heat my slightly larger house for the whole winter, run the dryer, stove, and hot water heater; no insulation in the walls and mostly older windows.
Natural gas

OP, have you looked at a pellet stove to supplement that oil furnace? I know several people who basically heat their homes with the pellet stove and space heaters and their furnace only kicks on during real cold nights.

Speed
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:13:26 PM EST
I thougth all you had fire places to keep warm?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:14:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:14:53 PM EST by SleeperShooter]

Fuck.

I have a big, old oil furnace down stairs and ducting down AMD up stairs. Windows are okay, butdoors are a bit drafty. About 1600 ft2

Sounds like she needs to put on some more clothes to warm up.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:17:16 PM EST
You spent almost 1000 bucks on heating a house in WA?

What side of the mountains and what temperature has it been?

You can get a space heater and turn the place into a sauna for a fraction of that cost.

In fact, googling around, it looks like you could run an electric space heater, 8 hours a day for a year for 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:19:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

Old houses do. The restrictions and insurance increases on them now in the state are getting to the point newer houses are built without them.

Wood's one of the most efficient heat sources too, and the states sort of full of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:19:34 PM EST

Ripped out oil furnace, installed geothermal system. Got tax credit. Proffited while warm.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:24:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:28:19 PM EST by patchouli]
Haven't looked at any other systems yet, except called about NG when we bought the place.

This is third winter for us. First one, already had oil on it.

Last year, I waited till January to buy. Only used 140 gal.
Wife wanted it earlier this year.

It's 55 in the house right now with no heat. She has a little electric space heater she can point at herself on the couch. We have an electric matress pad that we can turn on for a couple hours then it gets too hot in bed.

Anyway, that's the situation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:25:06 PM EST

We have a fireplace. But it doesn't seem to do anything to warm up the joint. Though, I haven't had a rager in there. Just a few logs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:29:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By markl32:

Ripped out oil furnace, installed geothermal system. Got tax credit. Proffited while warm.

What's the cost , does it work okay?

Any more info?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:31:35 PM EST
Mobey?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:32:52 PM EST

What was your installed cost?

It seems that a $1000 pellet stove and a few hundred more for installation and a battery back up for when the power is off would be cheaper than a $10-20,000 geothermal loop, especially in an area of the country where the geothermal temp is the same as the air temp 3/4 of the year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:36:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:39:47 PM EST
Wood stove FTW
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:40:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Any more info?

Around here it can run between $10k and $20k depending on how you dig your wells.

It was a bit much for me as I don't plan on staying in this house for 15yrs. I ended up installing a heat pump system with electric strip heat back up. It ran me under $3k installed myself.

Scab.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:40:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:41:57 PM EST by Baldmonk]

Do you have NG?

This. That. And all that.

Forced air Electric or electric space heaters would be even a huge savings.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:44:43 PM EST
Where do you live in WA? Even in the NE and SE part of the state they have NG. Electricity prices in WA are dirt cheap cause of all our hydro power. Have you crunched the numbers for electric heating? (not as good as NG but probably better than heating oil)
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:47:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By cpermd:
Wood stove FTW

Or since you already have a fireplace, install an efficient insert with a fan. My brother has one and heats the whole house with it.

We have a wood stove and dont plan on using the LP furnace this winter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:48:15 PM EST
Wait, Washington state?

From what my family up there tells me, you can tell when spring comes, because the chain saws start. Buy yourself one, and get out there and collect wood. Unless you're doing it completely wrong, your only recurring costs will be fuel for your chainsaw and truck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 1:52:43 PM EST by WildApple]
Pick up a 99.9% efficient vent free dual fuel fireplace and a 100 pound propane tank

With a coupon you should be able to get that for under $500

I don't think propane is too expensive these days

Run it for a couple hours before bedtime to supplement your furnace
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By SleeperShooter:

Fuck.

Sounds like she needs to put on some more clothes to warm up.

And get the wife to double up on the meat and cheese on the sammiches.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:53:24 PM EST
Look up the number for TVA.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:57:41 PM EST

Any more info?

Around here it can run between $10k and $20k depending on how you dig your wells.

It was a bit much for me as I don't plan on staying in this house for 15yrs. I ended up installing a heat pump system with electric strip heat back up. It ran me under $3k installed myself.

Scab.

Why does DIY = Scab?

I bought a pellet stove 3 years ago because the wall elec heaters were costing me a fortune. Pellets stove was the best investment in heating I have ever made.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:59:37 PM EST

Fuck.

Freud may have a comment or two about your thread title
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:04:38 PM EST
We've had oil here since we moved in 15 years ago.

One thing we did to help offset costs was to install micathermic heat panels in rooms that tend to be occupied more often (den, kitchen, etc). These panels are efficient, quiet, and low profile.

We keep the house set low (around 65ish during the day, but I have little kids...otherwise I would go lower), and keep the panel rooms set up around 70. We've cut our oil consumption by around 150 gallons/year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:20:51 PM EST

We have a fireplace. But it doesn't seem to do anything to warm up the joint. Though, I haven't had a rager in there. Just a few logs.

Fireplace insert. I was in Idaho last week and the difference they make in a house is unreal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:36:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By Madcap72:

It seems that a $1000 pellet stove and a few hundred more for installation and a battery back up for when the power is off would be cheaper than a $10-20,000 geothermal loop, especially in an area of the country where the geothermal temp is the same as the air temp 3/4 of the year.

I'll have to lookup the numbers if you want specifics. I'll see if I can get them in the next day or two. We paid for the install then we got back about half the cost in state and federal rebates. Going from memory the system was 15K and we got back 7.5k in rebates. looking at $1000+ per year in oil i had no problem putting it in as we plan on being on this property for generations. The cost included some extensive re ducting work to make the system more efficient and to add service to a new addition.

It works incredible. Its costs next to nothing to run and its a quite and even heat. We also have been slowly upgrading the windows and re insulating the walls and attic over the past three years and I know thats helping a lot too.

The system has an electric "emergency heat" element but we don;t even have that breaker on. It never gets that cold here and we have a wood stove if any supplemental or emergency heat is needed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:44:04 PM EST
I see you are in Washington state... Electricity might be cheaper than oil there.
Still, cold wife is not a good reason to heat 1600 SqFeet..
Tell her to wear a sweater, or go for a jog.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:47:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By Madcap72:

I'll have to lookup the numbers if you want specifics. I'll see if I can get them in the next day or two. We paid for the install then we got back about half the cost in state and federal rebates. Going from memory the system was 15K and we got back 7.5k in rebates. looking at $1000+ per year in oil i had no problem putting it in as we plan on being on this property for generations. The cost included some extensive re ducting work to make the system more efficient and to add service to a new addition.

It works incredible. Its costs next to nothing to run and its a quite and even heat. We also have been slowly upgrading the windows and re insulating the walls and attic over the past three years and I know thats helping a lot too.

The system has an electric "emergency heat" element but we don;t even have that breaker on. It never gets that cold here and we have a wood stove if any supplemental or emergency heat is needed.

Ahh, don't worry about the exact cost, I was just interested in more of a ball park.

What's the outside air temperature where you live? Geothermal makes a TON of sense when winters are pretty long, and a lot colder than low to mid 50's, or large houses, especially both!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:57:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 3:00:02 PM EST by Jerret_S]
To the guy with a heat pump in ohio, i thought ohio is too cold to use a heat pump? Im in the northern half of ohio.

My house i bought last year is oil and it sucks paying for it. Next summer my focus is getting rid of that furnace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:03:19 PM EST
why not LP?

dad got that giant tank right outside- runs the power vent efficient furnace...house is warm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:05:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
To the guy with a heat pump in ohio, i thought ohio is too cold to use a heat pump? Im in the northern half of ohio.

My house i bought last year is oil and it sucks paying for it. Next summer my focus is getting rid of that furnace.
Above 45 you can use a heat pump, below that you'll need a secondary heat source.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:05:56 PM EST
Thanks for reminding me I have to get my $420 worth of pellets that will last me all winter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:08:33 PM EST
Wood and coal for me.

The wood is usually free. We take down trees and I just block them up and take it home. The coal is for when it gets super cold out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:11:21 PM EST
Pellet stove is the way to go, they cost $3,500 for the stove & $220 a ton for pellets, I go thru two ton a winter here in Winnemucca NV. But still that's a lot of mobey
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:12:35 PM EST
You should look into an air source heatpump as a drop in replacment for your oil furnace. The climate in WA makes them one of the most economical choices. You might also be able to leave the oil unit in place and supplement it with a airsource ductless heatpump. You might even be able to snag a utility rebate on a ductless.

Full disclosure: I am a college student / HVACR tec for a small WA company.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:18:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 3:20:39 PM EST by theskuh]

Originally Posted By BigPapaColt:
Pellet stove is the way to go, they cost $3,500 for the stove & $220 a ton for pellets, I go thru two ton a winter here in Winnemucca NV. But still that's a lot of mobey

you can get stoves for 1500. It is kinda a crapshoot. I researched a lot and the more expensive stoves were more refined but they also had more expensive problems and not at any less rate than cheaper stoves. I have an englander it is loud but beyond that it has been great. I had to replace an auger motor but it wasn't very expensive. It was a generic gearbox motor not one that was sold through the company. Same type but a lot cheaper.

I think about getting a really nice stove but this one keeps on keeping on. I can't really fathom the amount of money it has saved me over the last 5 years I have had it but I have a really small house so I don't have to supplement with much oil. If at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:34:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 4:34:52 PM EST by Plattekill]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

Above 45 you can use a heat pump, below that you'll need a secondary heat source.

Kharn

I'm in upstate NY and as of today, I have not used any oil for heat. We got 3 Fijutsu heat pumps that work in 30 degree weather, at least. Google them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:37 PM EST

Any more info?

Scab.

Wow guy.

What's up with that?

Look for the union label...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:39:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:42:08 PM EST
just get a wood boiler.
feed it once or twoice a day and your good to go
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:44:03 PM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top